By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348
Ka-pi96 said:
I really don't get all the hate the gamepad gets. Sure it doesn't bring much new to gaming, nothing that really enhances the experience at least, but it certainly isn't a bad controller either. Having used all the controllers for this gen I can say that I barely noticed a difference moving from one to another. Sure the gamepad is bigger than other controllers but once you're playing a game you don't really notice that anymore and for all intents and purposes it works the same as any other controller.

Tbh, aside from Off tv, I'm planning to buy a pro controller and play like a normal game. For different controllers I have more than enough with the Wii. Unless, they do something interesting.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
guiduc said:
Ruler said:
- share play
- installing ps4 games and patches while playing the games

Arent?

No.

an innovation is a feature that once implemented remains a permanent fixture in the application 

those features that he mentioned certainly fit that criteria whereas i don't expect a tablet controller like the one in the wii u to remain as a feature in gaming although i could be wrong on that of course

clearly nintendo doesn't understand the meaning of innovation lol

zippy said:
Ruler said:
- share play
- installing ps4 games and patches while playing the games

Arent?

Miiverse lets you share screenshots, drawings and upload videos, and all patches are downloaded in the background whilst you play your Wii U games. So technically Nintendo got there first??

But it doesnt install it while gaming, of course wiiu plays games without installation but the games could load faster and look better by allowing instalation

I think the ability to let others play your game to help you out is actually really cool and useful.
It's one of the best things about the current gen, if you ask me.

Around the Network

Actually I agree, offscreen TV is by far the best innovation I've seen since years, I love to be able to play home console games on my gamepad while someone is watching TV (or playing another console).

Lol Nintendo seems to think that you can only innovate in hardware, not software.

midrange said:
bunchanumbers said:
That is kind of the problem. Your average 'core' gamer wants the exact same thing that they have had since 1995, but just with fancier graphics and voice chat so they can tell people how superior they are. This is where Nintendo messed up.

If that were true, everyone would be a pc gamer.

Nintendo messed up more times than I care to keep track of. Going full out on an "innovation" while ignoring the one everyone else is invested in (VR) is just one of them.

You forget they're lazy too, many 'core' gamers can't even get of the couch to change a disc. Where do you suppose they get the energy to build and maintain a gaming pc.

'Core' gamers want fancy graphics first most, if the WiiU was in the same power leage with a 1080p gamepad things might have been different. Of course Nintendo would have had to sell it at a loss, since 'core' gamers don't want to pay a lot either.

Damn 'core' gamers.

mZuzek said:
Aeolus451 said:

The placement of where the right analog stick is and where the X/B/A/Y are reversed. It's the same with the pro controller. Nintendo is so intent on being a hipster or different that it works against them. 

Are you fucking kidding me?

Should I expect a mud pie flung my way. I just don't like the controller and I explained to different degrees in posts why I don't. 

Wow, what a generalization!

A huge majority of the people buying the ps4 are actually, believe it or not, casual gamers. Sony even said that was their target. So please stop this nonsense of 'core' gamers being lazy. If someone truly was a core gamer, then they wouldn't be lazy to not better their gaming experience.

People, not just core gamers, want a better console with better graphics with a lot of games for a good price. Not some forced kinect motion or tablet gameplay. This doesn't prevent innovation either since they can keep making amiibo/VR tech/peripherals. But it's stupid to present a console with last gen power and expect people and devs to love it