By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348

fake

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Here is the amazing Dreamcast VMU: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DkYaC7qDtDs

It does remote play in a crude way, but it does it... Remote play is an evolution, not a 100% new idea (Even Nintendo di it on the GameCube + Gameboy Advance in some manner). it's not that great of an idea, more a distraction than anything else as far as I have seen (except for hiding your plays on local multi-player football, that sort of thing).Mind you, the instant installs, background updates, so on and so forth seem more important to my enjoyment of games, I could not really care less about the second screen gaming, this is not photoshop, this is a game...

Innovative? Yes
Well exploited? No. Even by Nintendo!!
Gamepad is great. But there are sooo few games that uses it to make it trascendant

It's so innovative that majority of my Wii U games I've played doesn't require it at all.

MohammadBadir said:
I knew this is gonna cause some hoopla when I read the article's title, lol.

That's why I posted.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
clearly nintendo doesn't understand the meaning of innovation lol

Nintendo is japanese for innovation, look it up sweetie.

The off-TV play is really one great thing, the other innovations on each console isn't really that great for me. I don't want to share a ton of my stuff to FB, twitter, I just wanted to complete my game first and foremost. And that touchpad or whatever you wanted to name it on the PS4 controller, that you need to slide to find the letters, I'll just use the D-pad or left analog stick and it is better to use than the touchpad.
And that XBOX voice, I don't know why people really wanted to use it often where their voice weren't understandable by the XBOX One so it is more of a turn off than it is being a useful innovation.

I might haven't use all these innovations that much to present all the greatness on each feature they have. But I'm more into gaming that just use these innovations to make my gaming better.

Wii U Gamepad is BY FAR the biggest draw back of the system. Subtract the Gamepad and 50$ from the price and it would be a better system than it is now. The gamepad is fun in a few games but in most games it just gets in the way with its terrible battery life and weight.

Arfen said:
Innovative? Yes
Well exploited? No. Even by Nintendo!!
Gamepad is great. But there are sooo few games that uses it to make it trascendant

To be fair the sixaxis and trackpad features in the ds4 are also hardly ever used. Last night Everybody gone to the rapture asked me to tilt the controller, what ancient witchcraft is this! While the 1080p trackpad is merely an extra big button that sometimes gets split into 2 buttons.
The you have the stereo camera that so far has only been used as a webcam besides 1 tech demo.

The difference ofcourse is that the DS4 costs the same as any other controller, while Sony was smart enough not to include the ps4 eye with the system. Maybe the gamepad would be more popular if it had twitch attached to it? Is the camera used for anything on the WiiU? You can use it as a mirror in WiiU fit, and take a picture to make a Mii avatar.

Well exploited or not, it is certainly well used in my house. Off-screen play is a savior to maintain the peace :)
Btw I actually dislike the asynchronous multiplayer, one on the gamepad and one on the tv. I like to be able to see where the other player is!

gatito said:
o_O.Q said:
clearly nintendo doesn't understand the meaning of innovation lol

Nintendo is japanese for innovation, look it up sweetie.

ok lets go through this slowly

original ideas on their own like the wii mote, tablet controller, etc are not innovative

something becomes innovative when it adds upon the existing foundation and brings a permanent change in how things operate

the wiimote and motion controls are essentially dead at this point and again i may be speaking too quickly but by next gen i believe the same will apply to the tablet controller

i and most people i know who play ps4 use features like the share button everytime we play

i'm always saving gameplay and screenshots and i expect its a widely used feature among ps4 owners

features like this are not going to go away anytime soon and as a result they are in fact innovative because that ultimately is what the word means permanent changes in how things operate