By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Zelda U Sell 4 Million?

Possibly, but I see closer to 3.5 million.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Actually VGC is overtracking Skyward Sword. It was at like 3.7 million as of March 2015.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

Skyward Sword was super frontloaded. It really didn't do much after those first couple of months and that 3.5 million was shipped so that shipment lasted for a few more months.

So it seems to me like 4 million is a good objective for Zelda Wii U.

Where does that 3.7m Skyward Sword number come from? It says 'Nintendo', but where exactly? Nintendo never gave any official numbers on the game after 2011 as far as I know, they're nowhere to be found in any case. I doubt it was so unbelievably front-loaded that 3.5m people rushed out to buy the first month and then only 200k more did the following 4 years (!). More importantly that list also implies A Link Between Worlds didn't sell a single copy last year because there it's still at 2.51m. Where Nintendo said it was march 2014 so that prooves the list wrong right there.

I think those numbers for a lot of those games aren't really up to 'march 2015', rather they are the 'last known sales' up to march 2015. Skyward is over 4m, ALBW is at 3m most likely.

OT: Yeah, I think it will sell over 4m. It'll be the first original Zelda game on the system so it will be a system seller. It also seems that it's recieved favorably and it looks like it'll be the first 'traditional' Zelda in a long time. Sales of the series have been inconsistant and it doesn't seem to be affected much by installed base of a console. Obviously Zelda U won't sell like OoT or TP on WiiU due to it's low base but at least there seems to be a certain minimum. Wind Waker wasn't well recieved by the general public when it released in a time when GC was laughed at just as much as WiiU is now and it still sold 4.6m copies. With Zelda U being a more wanted game and if the WiiU reaches the mostly agreed upon here on VGC 18m hardware sales, the game could end up with 5m sold, certainly over 4m I'd say.

It's the first original Zelda game on Wii U so I think it could. Also releasing it during the end of Wii U life means high sales because the install base will be larger than now but it's legs are horrible unless they keep backward compatibility.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Possible.

S.Peelman said:
Boutros said:

Actually VGC is overtracking Skyward Sword. It was at like 3.7 million as of March 2015.

Skyward Sword was super frontloaded. It really didn't do much after those first couple of months and that 3.5 million was shipped so that shipment lasted for a few more months.

Where does that 3.7m Skyward Sword number come from? It says 'Nintendo', but where exactly? Nintendo never gave any official numbers on the game after 2011 as far as I know, they're nowhere to be found in any case. I doubt it was so unbelievably front-loaded that 3.5m people rushed out to buy the first month and then only 200k more did the following 4 years (!). More importantly that list also implies A Link Between Worlds didn't sell a single copy last year because there it's still at 2.51m. Where Nintendo said it was march 2014 so that prooves the list wrong right there.

I think those numbers for a lot of those games aren't really up to 'march 2015', rather they are the 'last known sales' up to march 2015. Skyward is over 4m, ALBW is at 3m most likely

3.5m was shipped. Meaning they clearly overshipped. But yeah looking again it seems like the Skyward Sword number is as of December 2013. VGC is still overtracking it a little. He mentions it again here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145998742&postcount=559

And the guy had access to an exhaustive list of Nintendo software sales that sold 1m+ published on Nintendo's website.

Around the Network

2 million max... wii U dying and dying real fast sadly... RIP.....i already put my wiiu back in the box! i will take it out maybe in few month if they release something good!

Depends on when the NX launches I suppose MK8 barely managed to sell 4 million a year and we all know Zelda just isn't MK or SSB sales wise. If it launches within 12 months of Zelda U release and we all know that is plausible with Nintendo's delay only saying 2016 that could very well mean Q4 2016 and a supposed launch of the NX in Q4 2017 will hurt the sales of Nintendo's most expensive game.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Boutros said:
S.Peelman said:
Boutros said:

I think those numbers for a lot of those games aren't really up to 'march 2015', rather they are the 'last known sales' up to march 2015. Skyward is over 4m, ALBW is at 3m most likely

3.5m was shipped. Meaning they clearly overshipped. But yeah looking again it seems like the Skyward Sword number is as of December 2013. VGC is still overtracking it a little. He mentions it again here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145998742&postcount=559

And the guy had access to an exhaustive list of Nintendo software sales that sold 1m+ published on Nintendo's website.

Mmm, interesting. So what's missing with Skyward Sword is december 2013 to march 2015. One and a half year more or less. I agree it shouldn't have sold much beyond that then. A Link Between Worlds was never updated beyond march 2014 it seems, which makes it annoying because apparently this list has sales for games up to different periods in time which makes it hard to compare and rank. Calling this 'up to march 2015' is probably a bit optimistic then, who knows what other sales numbers (from both this and last generation and maybe even old generations) are old news. Why doesn't Nintendo just update every number .

as a WiiU exclusive in 2016 (likely holidays).... no chance. It has probably at most 1 year before the next console comes out. Likely sooner.

Barozi said:
as a WiiU exclusive in 2016 (likely holidays).... no chance. It has probably at most 1 year before the next console comes out. Likely sooner.

But it can sell very much on launch. The hype is strong for this Zelda.