By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Truth about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. How clickbait media spread misinformation. Sony isnt Funding the development

starcraft said:
Protendo said:
starcraft said:

Where did you get those figures?

I am halfway through the Witcher 3 and would be astounded and impressed if that $12.2 million figure is accurate.

They were publicly stated by the developer.

According to the posts above the development figures are around triple that, which even then seems low!

"According to Polish daily newspaper Puls Biznesu(Business' Pulse) in 2013, CDPR CEO Adam Kiciński estimated the game's total budget at over 110 million zł (Polish Zloty, $30 million). Of that total, 45 million zł ($12.2 million) was production budget, while another $25 million was going straight to marketing."

Note: It doesn't really matter, I was just saying that marketing costs are no small contribution.

Around the Network

What ever going on.

I'm backing Sh3 with $30, a psn digital version will be just fine with me.

Protendo said:

"According to Polish daily newspaper Puls Biznesu(Business' Pulse) in 2013, CDPR CEO Adam Kiciński estimated the game's total budget at over 110 million zł (Polish Zloty, $30 million). Of that total, 45 million zł ($12.2 million) was production budget, while another $25 million was going straight to marketing."

Note: It doesn't really matter, I was just saying that marketing costs are no small contribution.

This is old.. they expended way more.

http://pieniadze.gazeta.pl/pieniadz/1,136158,18087407,Wiedzmin_3___Trzyletnie_naklady_na_produkcje_zwrocily.html

But like you said it didn't matter... fact is marketing is pretty big budget in any big game.

I you Watching Sony what he doing every day you don't need to confuse with clickbait site like this in my country "enternity.gr"
Some people they working on sites like this and they don't know the basics. Is rediculus someone say Sony makes money from kickstarter when They have use this program many times to advertise and support those games like octodad, broke age, amplitude, even atom universe the new Home, with ps4 release. Sony is far way from M$ on third pary games this generation when M$ Try 360 turns every year, to get there shit together.
They say that on stage this is your project and we here advertise and support.
The Shenmue 3 is be first on pc and ps4 with those money and then after seling good it come on xbone

Am i supposed to feel sorry for them? I want shenmue 3 as much as anyone else, but marketing is a massive part of a game's budget, plus they have kickstarter funds. Is sega supposed to be some indie company or something? They have over 3 million + free marketing.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

If Shenmue 3 is as sort on funding as is being stated, then I am surprised that the game is being pitch as a whole rather then episodic. Shadow of the Eternals was pitched as an episodic game with the hope that revenue from the first episode would fund the latter episodes. Broken Age became an episode game with revenue from the first part, funding the second part.

I am very curious about what the exact arrangements were made with Sony and Sega. I would also like to know more about the Western developer attempts to fund and publish Shenmue 3. If a western publisher was willing to fund the game, then I am surprised no compromise could be arranged.

Games I have Finished

http://pastebin.com/eMdjSjFc

SR388 said:
If Shenmue 3 is as sort on funding as is being stated, then I am surprised that the game is being pitch as a whole rather then episodic. Shadow of the Eternals was pitched as an episodic game with the hope that revenue from the first episode would fund the latter episodes. Broken Age became an episode game with revenue from the first part, funding the second part.

I am very curious about what the exact arrangements were made with Sony and Sega. I would also like to know more about the Western developer attempts to fund and publish Shenmue 3. If a western publisher was willing to fund the game, then I am surprised no compromise could be arranged.

SEGA has lost Shenmue IP , i read it on KOTAKU so there is no deal between SONY and SEGA. The Shenmue IP has been handed and trusted by SEGA to Yu Suzuki it self . So it now belong to Yu Suzuki Studio.

HollyGamer said:
SR388 said:

SEGA has lost Shenmue IP , i read it on KOTAKU so there is no deal between SONY and SEGA. The Shenmue IP has been handed and trusted by SEGA to Yu Suzuki it self . So it now belong to Yu Suzuki Studio.

SEGA only lost the US trademark, they still own the IP. 

Yu Suzuki does not own the IP, he was granted permission to use it, and all the old resources of the game by SEGA.

Great video and it's clear it was made by a true fan of Shenmue. The good thing about the video is that it is also very blunt about the reality of the situation: As fans of Shenmue, we should be happy that Sony decided to back the project up with the marketing. But we must also realize that they made this decision purely based on financial risk, not with some sentiment towards the fans. Sony is getting massive support from fans by doing this, so the cost of marketing will be made up simply by increased good will.

And this is where the troubles start: The financial risk is miniscule for these companies since they get someone else to cover the cost for the game. This is also why this practice is so troublesome: It will get companies like EA and Ubisoft to look at it and try do use it for their own shady businesses.

This video creates more confusion than there already is. I'm still not sure the point of this thread. It needs to be closed. Youtube videos from random douchebags on the internet aren't news.