By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Truth about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. How clickbait media spread misinformation. Sony isnt Funding the development

Skullwaker said:
So, they basically gave the kickstarter support by announcing it at E3 and are paying for all of the marketing. I have to wonder exactly where they're going to get the money for the rest of the development, though. The original games cost quite a bit of money to make, and Shenmue III must cost an exponential amount two generations later.

Actually, Shenmue III will probably be far cheaper to make than the originals. The game will no longer be right up on the cutting edge of technology. So much voice acting etc, doing the lip synching, animations etc was all far more expensive back in the last 90s than it is now with lots of middleware and tools to do all of that. Previously it all had to be done bespoke for the games.

I also don't think Shenmue 3 is planning too be anything like the technical tour de force the original games were.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
joeorc said:

obert Purches Published 17/06/2015

UPDATE#2: Sony has clarified its role in Shenmue 3 in a recent official stream on the game, and revealed it's helping to bring Yu Suzuki's project to life.

Following its spectacular announcement at Sony's E3 conference, there were questions about what the company's involvement was, and why Shenmue 3 was going to Kickstarter at the same time as appearing on-stage. The $2 million amount announced as a goal on the Kickstarter - which was surpassed within 9 hours - doesn't appear to pertain to the game's entire budget, and instead has been used as proof of interest in the project before other investors dive in.

"Sony and PlayStation is definitely a partner in this game," Sony PlayStation's director of third party production and developer relations Gio Corsi. "It's going be run through third-party production. We're going to help YsNet get the game done. We're going to be partners on it the whole way."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-16-kickstarter-campaign-launches-for-shenmue-3

Well there you go... I will wait for it to release to purchase this game.

plip.plop said:

My .02 cents I'm not going to fund on KS anymore I already got burned on one KS where my $300 helped a douchebag pay for rent, and vacations. I'll pay full price for a product when it's on a store shelf.

Ouch. May I know which campaign this was? PM me if you don't want to publicly wreck the person's reputation, but I'm curious.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Here's an interview Yu-san did for famitsu when he launched Shenmue 3's kickstarter:

This should be read by people still confused about the project and everyone else, really, as it gives quite a lot of insight about Suzuki's vision for the game!.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1089690#p1089690

tag

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Nice video. Going to KS for the creative freedom is the right reason.

Still, backers bear all of the financial risk (if the game doesn't complete, they get nothing), but if it succeeds, Sony will take all the profit (standard for any publishing deal). Sony can't lose, and that is NOT good because capitalism has to involve risk to be efficient.

Except for the burden and distribution for the title, which will absolutely be millions of dollars.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Soleron said:

Still, backers bear all of the financial risk (if the game doesn't complete, they get nothing), but if it succeeds, Sony will take all the profit (standard for any publishing deal). Sony can't lose, and that is NOT good because capitalism has to involve risk to be efficient.

Except for the burden and distribution for the title, which will absolutely be millions of dollars.

As an Xbox fan, you can't undermind the importance of what Sony did for this project. Sony did revive Shenmue by allowing them to kickstart the game on the biggest video game stage. 

You really think Millions will be spent on by Sony on marketing.... No. It's really important that fans understand that Sony is not funding development and that this project might already be suffering from this miss-communicaiton. 

Distribution is not like publishing a retail copy, Sony and Steam will simply add the game to digital library. The extend of Sony's marketing is going to put the game in the front of the PSN store during release. 

yvanjean said:
outlawauron said:
Soleron said:

As an Xbox fan, you can't undermind the importance of what Sony did for this project. Sony did revive Shenmue by allowing them to kickstart the game on the biggest video game stage. 

You really think Millions will be spent on by Sony on marketing.... No. It's really important that fans understand that Sony is not funding development and that this project might already be suffering from this miss-communicaiton. 

Distribution is not like publishing a retail copy, Sony and Steam will simply add the game to digital library. The extend of Sony's marketing is going to put the game in the front of the PSN store during release. 

But that isn't true. There will be a physical PS4 copy that Sony will be distributing and incurring those costs. Distribution is exactly publishing a retail copy.

This project is most similar to Borderlands 2 on Vita, where Sony ported it and distributed the title.

outlawauron said:
yvanjean said:
outlawauron said:
Soleron said:

But that isn't true. There will be a physical PS4 copy that Sony will be distributing and incurring those costs. Distribution is exactly publishing a retail copy.

This project is most similar to Borderlands 2 on Vita, where Sony ported it and distributed the title.

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network. If a physical copy was added as a reward, an announcement would be made on the update page

• Your choice of a digital copy of the game for PC or PS4, or a physical copy for PC

And? Nothing you linked contradicts anything I said.