By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Truth about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. How clickbait media spread misinformation. Sony isnt Funding the development

Hynad said:
Yooka said:
ethomaz said:

Yooka said:

Game costs have gone up, not down since the first Shenmue. There's no way this game can be made with a $2.000.000 budget. It's pretty obvious this game is being funded by a big publisher(s) and the most likely candidate is Sony.

Big companies using KS is despicable if you ask me. But I guess some companies can do no wrong in the eyes of some fans.

That happens with any KS game...

The Witcher while didn't used KS itself get near $3m budget from a KS like campaign... the rest was funded by other sources.
pCARs used KS but the rest of money was funded by others sources too.

I see no issue getting some money from KS or like campaigns... you know KS give you a copy of the game that is cheaper than retail... it is like a preorder of the game.

KS = Your preorder will help to developer the game.

No it doesn't.

The average pledge is also much higher than the cost of a retail game.

Project Cars: the guys that promised a Wii U version and then broke it. Great example you got there.

You get a very limited edition of the game, and depending on your pledge, you also get a lot of exclusive and limited collector's items.

Nobody is forcing anyone to spend more than 60 bucks on any project. 

I think some people are just worried about the prospect of Kickstarter turning into the next Gamestop.  There are a lot of games that really do need funding to see the light of day and rely heavily on Kickstarter, why would you want to see them suddenly have to compete with many games that don't?  This is also different than just reserving a game because in many cases the games are years off and some people are paying a lot more than they normally would because of the idea that the games really need Kickstarter funding to get made.

Around the Network

The marketing will cost as much as the development cost or more.

The video is wrong. Kickstarter is not the sole source of funding for this game. It says on the kickstarter page itself that 2 million would not be enough to make the game and that Yu already has other funding lined up. I'm guessing those who are funding the project will feel more confident in doing so should the kickstarter be highly successful.

At any rate, I'm just excited for Shenmue 3. I really don't care if the kickstarter is dishonest or if Yu Suzuki is creating the game out of baby blood. I just want Shenmue 3.

Hynad said:

Have you even watched the video from the op... -___-

Well you don't need even watch the video... this is from the Co-Producer.

Sony is paying the PS4 version and marketing the game.

Legend11 said:

Why was the original funding goal for the game set to $2 million if they didn't already have the rest of the funding for it?  If they didn't already have the rest of the funding then why are they only telling us this now?  The reason Sony is also taking heat is because they're involved with all of this and had it had it in their conference at E3.  You don't think they should take any blame even though they're the ones that brought it to many people's attention?

The reason they brought it on their stage during E3 was to give the kickstarter as much visibility as possible. So that more people take notice and, in turn, more money can be raised.

And you don't seem to understand how kickstarter works. If developers put too high a goal from the get go, it disincitivize people from backing it because the stretch is too unrealistic. Hence why they word from the bare minimum, which in the case of Shenmue 3, would make a game that is mostly story and not much else, and then work up from there. At 10M, Suzuki says he will be able to provide the complete vision he had for Shenmue 3, which is a fully open world game.

Unsubstantiated claims, assumptions and complaints against Sony from you and other people (for some reason, mostly people known to be XBox centric) are nothing new. I invite you to go take a look at NeoGAF's thread about the kickstarter to find other answers for your "concerns". 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Legend11 said:

Why was the original funding goal for the game set to $2 million if they didn't already have the rest of the funding for it?  If they didn't already have the rest of the funding then why are they only telling us this now?  The reason Sony is also taking heat is because they're involved with all of this and had it had it in their conference at E3.  You don't think they should take any blame even though they're the ones that brought it to many people's attention?

The reason they brought it on their stage during E3 was to give the kickstarter as much visibility as possible. So that more people take notice and, in turn, more money can be raised.

And you don't seem to understand how kickstarter works. If developers put too high a goal from the get go, it disincitivize people from backing it people the stretch is too unrealistic. Hence why they word from the bare minimum, which in the case of Shenmue 3, would make a game that is mostly story and not much else, and then work up from there. At 10M, Suzuki says he will be able to provide the complete vision he had for Shenmue 3, which is a fully open world game.

Unsubstantiated claims and assumptions from you and other people (for some reason, mostly people known to be XBox centric) are nothing new. I invite you to go take a look at NeoGAF's thread about the kickstarter to find other answers for your "concerns". 

So you're telling me that the way Kickstarter works is that you put down 5 - 10% of what you would actually need as your funding goal and tell people you have the rest of the funding from elsewhere?  Is that really the way you think it works?  C'mon son think about what you're saying.  As for the Xbox comment I've never hid the fact I'm a Xbox fan but everyone regardless of what brand they're a fan of should be concerned about this.  Kickstarter wasn't made to be another Gamestop and if companies are getting extra money because they're not giving us the complete story I want to know about it.

Legend11 said:
Hynad said:

And you don't seem to understand how kickstarter works. If developers put too high a goal from the get go, it disincitivize people from backing it people the stretch is too unrealistic. Hence why they word from the bare minimum, which in the case of Shenmue 3, would make a game that is mostly story and not much else, and then work up from there. At 10M, Suzuki says he will be able to provide the complete vision he had for Shenmue 3, which is a fully open world game.

Unsubstantiated claims and assumptions from you and other people (for some reason, mostly people known to be XBox centric) are nothing new. I invite you to go take a look at NeoGAF's thread about the kickstarter to find other answers for your "concerns". 

So you're telling me that the way Kickstarter works is that you put down 5 - 10% of what you would actually need as your funding goal and tell people you have the rest of the funding from elsewhere?  Is that really the way you think it works?  C'mon son think about what you're saying.  As for the Xbox comment I've never hid the fact I'm a Xbox fan but everyone regardless of what brand they're a fan of should be concerned about this.  Kickstarter wasn't made to be another Gamestop and if companies are getting extra money because they're not giving us the complete story I want to know about it.

But they are giving the complete story. Yu Suzuki has been pretty clear from the start that his company is handling part of the funding from what they could gather from other sources. They never hid that. If you'd read the kickstarter page, you'd know all this already. He's saying that he needs 10M from the kickstarter to make possible the full experience he has in mind.

Sony isn't funding the actual production of the game. They are helping with marketing and putting the game on PS4.

For those telling people to watch the original video does the guy ever take inflation into account? I stopped watching when I saw that he was basically using costs during Shemue's development and treating it like it's the same amount in today's dollars.

Hynad said:
Legend11 said:

But they are giving the complete story. Yu Suzuki has been pretty clear from the start that his company is handling part of the funding from what they could gather from other sources. They never hid that. If you'd read the kickstarter page, you'd know all this already.

Sony isn't funding the actual production of the game. They are helping with marketing and putting the game on PS4.

All I know is that they added the following days after the Kickstarter began:

“No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.”

I got that from this article:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/208625-the-kickstarter-for-shenmue-3-broke-records-because-sony-lied-to-backers

I don't think that really qualifies as being "pretty clear from the start".

Hynad said:
Legend11 said:

But they are giving the complete story. Yu Suzuki has been pretty clear from the start that his company is handling part of the funding from what they could gather from other sources. They never hid that. If you'd read the kickstarter page, you'd know all this already. He's saying that he needs 10M from the kickstarter to make possible the full experience he has in mind.

*Note* I edited it out because I pretty much said exactly what legend just did right above me^^^^^^^^^^^

So now I will add in a generic comment to fill up this space.

Oh boy! I sure cannot wait to play this gem!

#1 Amb-ass-ador