By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Truth about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. How clickbait media spread misinformation. Sony isnt Funding the development

then why it was shown in a Sony E3 conference?! better for Shenmue to be multiplat X1, PC and PS4 plus previous gens to make a great profit rather than PS4 and PC only.... the video is just a click bait with minimal substantial information. there could be confidentiality clauses between Shenmue gaming rights to whoever and to Sony... so showing it off in a Sony conference doesn't make sense if Sony doesn't have anything to do with it...

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Legend11 said:

No I didn't play the original Shenmue and to be honest I don't care about the new one, for me this is mainly about Kickstarter.  The reason being is that I'm a big fan of games like Pillars of Eternity and some of them wouldn't get made at all if it wasn't for Kickstarter.  If a bunch of major publishers had put their RPGs on there asking for money and making it seem like their games wouldn't be made without Kickstarter then there would have been the possibility of Pillars of Eternity never being made.  That's the reason I care, I just want to make sure companies are completely honest on there so that they don't end up screwing over the games that really do need Kickstarter.  This is not about the console wars for me, if Microsoft had done the same thing I'd be asking the same questions (I know some people don't believe that but it's true).

Wait... Are you doubting that after 14 years, the project didn't need kickstarter?

The fact that the funding goal was set to $2 million and the first time I heard of the Kickstarter was from a major publisher's press conference gives me some doubts.  The fact that they're withholding how much funding they're getting from elsewhere and not even giving us a ballpark figure gives me doubts.  Come to think of it the entire way this was handled has raised one red flag after another to me.

Already listed that video.

This fucking sucks, basically the media, kickstarter naysayers completely fucked this game.

The Kickstarter is going to get less money now because people thought Sony were scamming people

starcraft said:
Protendo said:

You guys do realize marketing costs are often more than game development costs right?

Just look at Witcher 3...

Development budget 12.2 million.
Marketing budget 25 million.

Where did you get those figures?

I am halfway through the Witcher 3 and would be astounded and impressed if that $12.2 million figure is accurate.

They were publicly stated by the developer.

Around the Network

Thanks SONY to realizing this dreams , SEGA will not able to bring back this games. and even Microsoft with all the money will not able to do this.

Protendo said:
starcraft said:

Where did you get those figures?

I am halfway through the Witcher 3 and would be astounded and impressed if that $12.2 million figure is accurate.

They were publicly stated by the developer.

According to the posts above the development figures are around triple that, which even then seems low!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Kyuu said:
Ruler said:

its wasnt that much money the video explains. They spent 70 million $ for the original shenmue games but it included shenmue 1, 2 and the sega saturn version which was cancelled so basicly 3 games.

It's actually 47 million according to the dude.

This. THe 70 million dollar figure was put out by SEGA in an effort to generate massive hype as in "wow this game cost 70 million, it MUST be amazing". Also Shenmue was ahead of its time wth elements of motion capturing, voice acting etc which is now standardized and costs less than it would back in 1998. However I do think it will cost a good 20-30 million for a proper Shenmue III.

I'm familiar with this guy. Die hard Shenmue fan who wants you to understand why Shenmue is so amazing yet he will turn around and shit on any other highly regarded game. Just watch a couple random videos of his and see for yourself.

He's well spoken and makes some awesome points... but at the same time a bias nerd. Like many fans.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Legend11 said:
Hynad said:
Legend11 said:

No I didn't play the original Shenmue and to be honest I don't care about the new one, for me this is mainly about Kickstarter.  The reason being is that I'm a big fan of games like Pillars of Eternity and some of them wouldn't get made at all if it wasn't for Kickstarter.  If a bunch of major publishers had put their RPGs on there asking for money and making it seem like their games wouldn't be made without Kickstarter then there would have been the possibility of Pillars of Eternity never being made.  That's the reason I care, I just want to make sure companies are completely honest on there so that they don't end up screwing over the games that really do need Kickstarter.  This is not about the console wars for me, if Microsoft had done the same thing I'd be asking the same questions (I know some people don't believe that but it's true).

Wait... Are you doubting that after 14 years, the project didn't need kickstarter?

The fact that the funding goal was set to $2 million and the first time I heard of the Kickstarter was from a major publisher's press conference gives me some doubts.  The fact that they're withholding how much funding they're getting from elsewhere and not even giving us a ballpark figure gives me doubts.  Come to think of it the entire way this was handled has raised one red flag after another to me.

Sony gave YS stage time for exposure. Where else is the best way to announce a kickstarter for a game other than the biggest gaming conference? It makes perfect sense. I'm sure other developers would love to have that exposure. 

Regarding Sony's funding involvement, maybe Sony chose to keep the money that they're promising to YS a secret so as not to encourage other developers in asking the same amount. $2 million is obviously not enough for a game like Shenmue. At this point, it's just pure speculation that who is funding how much. But I have no doubt that Sony will be spending a substantial amount on Shenmue 3 even if it's just for marketing. 

“Ore no... Kachi da!”