By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lets be honest, Gears 4 looks average at best.

what do you think of gears 4

fantastic 55 18.71%

good 51 17.35%

ok 59 20.07%

average 78 26.53%

bad 32 10.88%

shooting monsters is bad, mmkay? 6 2.04%

see results 13 4.42%

Total:294
Goddbless said:
I'm guessing the majority of you complaining aren't Gears fans. If you were you wouldn't be complaining about it being dark because that's what set the tone in the original. I'm guessing they're taking it back to it's roots. I didn't see anything wrong with what they showed.

I am a Gears fan, own the comics in hardover and love the Karen Traviss books of Gears of war and I am now in the beta. When they showed Gears of war first time we were all amazed, with Gears of war 2 we saw a bigger/bloody amazing game on E3 with at the end;...'Can you ride a brumak no  way!!' and then With Gears of war 3 we saw colours with different paths to take and new kind of enemies that looked amazing.  What makes you so excited what you saw in Gears 4? It had graphics but didn't feel like Gears.

Around the Network

it was highly scripted and highly linear, but as people already said, I think they simply weren't ready to show more than this very "safe" kind of demo

if that's the general level design they go with for the majority of the game it would turn out pretty mediocre in comparison to other 3rd person cover shooters (not unsimilar to the Order), but it would be unfair at this point to assume so

btw I thought it was funny that massive storm just vanished the moment they closed the doors

It was fine considering it is 18 months from release (probably)

MS should be more concerned with both Halo and Tomb Raider gameplay being underwhelming

I thought it looked alright, i mean wasn't gears a bit space marine bulk characters, this seemed a more realistic game, which should be better.

As for it being a bit lack lustre, if it's coming out holiday 2016, thats a very *long* time in development terms, and many games wouldn't even be working correctly at this point in time in their development, so I think people should be positive that they have a working game which seems to be running good. It can only improve from here. I would also expect a much bigger jump in quality by the time the next E3 comes along.

Though if it's still all corridor based, then I think people will be more negative about it, after seeing uncharted and it's crazy car level, people I think are expecting more than just the same with different graphics/story.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

celador said:

MS should be more concerned with both Halo and Tomb Raider gameplay being underwhelming

Halo gameplay felt extremely generic, after seeing the absolutely great demo of Doom and then Battlefield, it just felt really flat in comparison. They have a lot of work to do I think to get it up to that standard.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
I thought it looked pretty good, don't think they're trying to reinvent the Gears wheel here. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Everything else seems to be changing lately so why not. I'd say the gear turns fine but I think there will be some new improvements and tweaks though. Games 18 months away. 

GamechaserBE said:
Goddbless said:
I'm guessing the majority of you complaining aren't Gears fans. If you were you wouldn't be complaining about it being dark because that's what set the tone in the original. I'm guessing they're taking it back to it's roots. I didn't see anything wrong with what they showed.

I am a Gears fan, own the comics in hardover and love the Karen Traviss books of Gears of war and I am now in the beta. When they showed Gears of war first time we were all amazed, with Gears of war 2 we saw a bigger/bloody amazing game on E3 with at the end;...'Can you ride a brumak no  way!!' and then With Gears of war 3 we saw colours with different paths to take and new kind of enemies that looked amazing.  What makes you so excited what you saw in Gears 4? It had graphics but didn't feel like Gears.

It felt like Gears to me more than Gears 3 did. It felt closer to the original with the dark enviroments and close encounters with an enemy you're not super familar with. What did you want to see? Locust? I'm not the type that needs to see one of the games best sequences before hand to be excited. I'd rather be surprised by it.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

celador said:

Why would they have to worry? Halo will sell like CODs sell, althoug they also look generic every year. Tomb Raider didn't even really show gameplay but I guess we can say that not showing gameplay is underwhelming. But at least what I saw looked good, though, even if not gameplay.

Goddbless said:
GamechaserBE said:

It felt like Gears to me more than Gears 3 did. It felt closer to the original with the dark enviroments and close encounters with an enemy you're not super familar with. What did you want to see? Locust? I'm not the type that needs to see one of the games best sequences before hand to be excited. I'd rather be surprised by it.

The horror element was indeed in geow 1 but I did not see anything that makes Gears better or made me go wow.  I wanted to see something gameplay related that show us something incredible that was not possible on the old X360. They showed us so much new stuff when they showed Geow 2 and Geow 3, that feeling of 'wow I can't wait to try that and do that in MP'...New weapons...new animations, new vehicles... 

GamechaserBE said:
Goddbless said:

The horror element was indeed in geow 1 but I did not see anything that makes Gears better or made me go wow.  I wanted to see something gameplay related that show us something incredible that was not possible on the old X360. They showed us so much new stuff when they showed Geow 2 and Geow 3, that feeling of 'wow I can't wait to try that and do that in MP'...New weapons...new animations, new vehicles... 

They can't show too many new things on first reveal or people will complain it's not familiar enough. This is supposedly a new story with new characters and enemies. They needed some familiar pieces to show it's still Gears. Plus that lightining tornando probably couldn't be done on 360.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo