By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lets be honest, Gears 4 looks average at best.

what do you think of gears 4

fantastic 55 18.71%

good 51 17.35%

ok 59 20.07%

average 78 26.53%

bad 32 10.88%

shooting monsters is bad, mmkay? 6 2.04%

see results 13 4.42%

Total:294
d21lewis said:
Truth? I wasn't hyped for the original Gears of War but when I got it I loved it. I wasn't hyped for Gears 2 but when I got it, I loved it even more. I wasn't hyped for Gears 3 but when I got that, I loved it too! I wasn't hyped for Gears of War Judgment and when I finally played that.....well, uh....

Anyway, the Gears games never looked great to me when I watched others play. It's when I get the games in my hands that I enjoy them. Yeah, it looked boring but it always looks boring. And it always plays great.

id have to strongly disagree with that. i never played a gears game due to it not being on PS and me not having a 360, but holy fuck is it intense and fun to watch. i was hoping for an epic showcase from gears, my expectations werent that high honestly due to the nature of the development of this title. but i simply didnt expect it to be this bad. 

people assume that i dont like dark and intense gameplay, but i do. after all, i am a fan of TLoU. but can you honestly say it was good at even showing that intensity? 

Around the Network

When the flashlight went out it got too dark.

lol you guys are bugging. Gameplay looked great to me. the trees, the atmosphere just blew me away. cannot wait to return to gears.

Praise the One.

bananaking21 said:
d21lewis said:
Truth? I wasn't hyped for the original Gears of War but when I got it I loved it. I wasn't hyped for Gears 2 but when I got it, I loved it even more. I wasn't hyped for Gears 3 but when I got that, I loved it too! I wasn't hyped for Gears of War Judgment and when I finally played that.....well, uh....

Anyway, the Gears games never looked great to me when I watched others play. It's when I get the games in my hands that I enjoy them. Yeah, it looked boring but it always looks boring. And it always plays great.

id have to strongly disagree with that. i never played a gears game due to it not being on PS and me not having a 360, but holy fuck is it intense and fun to watch. i was hoping for an epic showcase from gears, my expectations werent that high honestly due to the nature of the development of this title. but i simply didnt expect it to be this bad. 

people assume that i dont like dark and intense gameplay, but i do. after all, i am a fan of TLoU. but can you honestly say it was good at even showing that intensity? 

Can't speak for anybody but myself.  Funny you mention TLoU.  That was another game that never appealed to me when watching footage but when I finally played it I was (eventually) hooked and fell in love.  If you liked watching Gears of War, the feeling you get from playing them is magnified!

d21lewis said:
bananaking21 said:

Can't speak for anybody but myself.  Funny you mention TLoU.  That was another game that never appealed to me when watching footage but when I finally played it I was (eventually) hooked and fell in love.  If you liked watching Gears of War, the feeling you get from playing them is magnified!

pretty much every game is like that xD 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
d21lewis said:
bananaking21 said:

Ummmm...The Order

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

The pace of the gameplay (aside from the dialogue, the music, sound effects, etc.) is what I was paying attention to. Even for an early build, it looks good, but to me, this looks great. Here's why: this game was originally made to be a survival-horror game, so the pace of play, as well as the events that transpired in the first couple of Gears were more along the pace of what you would expect for a survival-horror TPS. The problems began in Gears 3, which wasn't a horrible game, but wasn't great either. In Gears 3, they started switching to a survival-horror-action game, with faster pace, and fewer aha/scare moments. The point of a survival-horror game is not to throw hordes and hordes of enemies at you, but to make you think of how to solve the problem at hand without dying by using the environment and weapons at your disposal, some scenes are just an ammo dump, yes, but many of Gears 1 and 2 scenes made you stop and consider what you were doing, having to try a couple of times before getting it right in many cases.

The unfortunate thing is they had a model of what NOT to do in the Resident Evil series, but they did not heed that warning of failure imminency and they just continued down the path of regular old fast paced TPS, ruining what once was a great franchise, ESPECIALLY with Gears Judgment, that game was the epitome of awful for them. To me, this reboot shows signs of being that slower pace, aha kind of thing, and to me, that's encouraging. The graphics are not meant to be pretty, it is an early build, so you have to pay attention to the rest of it. The dialogue is a bit more down to Earth and less over the top than the previous 4 Gears, so maybe this is more of an attempt at more real sort of characters...at least in the demo video. I like what they have done, they seem to be going back to the roots, and it looks like it is in at least decent enough hands to possibly resuscitate the franchise.

The big question to me is, how will they refresh the multiplayer?

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge

starcraft said:
bananaking21 said:
d21lewis said:

Ummmm...The Order

having played it, i can assure you, its more fun to play than to watch. and incidentally, this gameplay reveal for Gears reminded me of this video.  which wasnt met with a big round of appluase in case you remember. even though i find The Order Demo it be better made due to it being more intense and "spooky", but maybe my judgement here isnt the best, having played and experienced that section first hand with the game. 

Great Gears Fan Here ... - Still Not Impressed Yet. 78-80s meta material.

Ex Graphics Whore.

It just didn't seem like a mind-blowing demo. But the game is still pretty far away and I have no doubt it will be very good. Just wasn't really enough to see at this point but there is obviously plenty of time to wow the public in the coming months.