By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3

NJ5 said:
Apollo said:
listen up, if you really make a comparitive analysis, both consoles match up pound for pound with each other. there is no clear advantage. the PS3's golden day at E3 has turned to dust! Floating points are only good for computing maths, not gaming. as shown by real world performance comparisons by developers who own both kits! Bluray is NOT needed to make better games, this is shown clarely by games like Call or Duty 3, its 7.4GB on the 360, but its 22GB on the PS3, but yet the PS3 is the worse version of the two, as said by Gamespot and IGN reviews. The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five times. at E3 2005, Sony said the GPU's speed was 750mhz, then it was dropped to 700, then 6 months after that dropped to 550mhz, right now its the same speed as the ATI card in the Xbox 360....so all that noise and eye candy at E3 no means nothing. there's no cheering fans, or developers now, the dust has cleared, and this is the real world. Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power with an added 10mb buffer, other from that, both cards offer the same. at the same speed. if Bluray is Sony's only hope, them the PS3 is doomed! on a personal note, I saved up my money to buy a PS3, but after 6 months, the game are by far the worse out of the 3 consoles, and there not getting better any time after the next 3 months. when even with the launch of Kiilzone (in which the first game flopped) its launching in the window of Halo 3, what do you honestly think is going to happen to Killzone 2 in th face of Halo 3?....I'm not even going to comment on that. as pointed out above, there's no software advantage for Sony, and no hardware advantage either!...and right now, Sony deserves to be where they are now, and thats in last place!. at the end of the day you can talk up the PS3 all you want, the fact is not a lot of gamers are buying them. and the sales trends are getting smaller and shorter by the month!. in Europe PS3 sales are at a standstill.

At this moment, PS3's graphics are worse than those of the 360... Motorstorm, which is the only PS3 game I've seen live doesn't have anti-aliasing, which makes it look really crappy. The 10 MB EDRAM buffer in the 360 is there for something, which is to perform anti-aliasing with no performance penalty (at least in some resolutions).

Oh really?  Then why is Bungie not implementing anti-aliasing in Halo 3 that looks pretty bad so far?  When asked if they would, they stated something like "we'll see, we're not sure yet."  I guess they don't know about this magic buffer.

Around the Network
windbane said:

Oh really?  Then why is Bungie not implementing anti-aliasing in Halo 3 that looks pretty bad so far?  When asked if they would, they stated something like "we'll see, we're not sure yet."  I guess they don't know about this magic buffer.

In all fairness, Motorstorm launched with no AA. Halo 3 is still 4 1/2 months away and Bungie is polishing up the game. They still might add AA.

But if they don't, I'll be the first person in the disappointment line.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

a.l.e.x59 said:
Sales:

Currently, Xbox 360 is dominating the console market with just over 10 million units. Wii is in second place with 7 million units. And Playstation 3 is in last place with just over 3 million units.

However, in Japan, Xbox 360 is doing horribly. Even Sega Saturn beat Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, and Sega Dreamcast in Japan. Don't underestimate the power of the Sega Saturn. That thing did very well in Japan. It was even beating the PS1 and PS2 for a while.

There have been many complaints on the Playstation 3. More so than the Xbox 360. However, even with all of the complaints on the Playstation 3, does it still compete with the Xbox 360? Will it beat the Xbox 360 in sales? Only the future can tell us.

Price:

The 20 GB Playstation 3 costs $499, and the 60 GB Playstation 3 costs $599. The Xbox 360 Core costs $299. The Xbox 360 Premium costs $399. And the Xbox 360 Elite costs $479. Most people would choose the Xbox 360 to win in the price battle. However, just because the Xbox 360 is cheaper than the Playstation 3, doesn't mean that you're getting a better deal.

For example, a $300 Playstation 2 is not going to be a better deal than a $400 Xbox 360, because Playstation 2s are only worth about $130 brand new. Is this the same with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3?

Well, a standard Blu-Ray player costs about $800.00. The Playstation 3's Blu-Ray player is better quality than most, standard Blu-Ray players, and about $200 cheaper. Not only that, but Blu-Ray is only one feature that the Playstation 3 has to offer. Sony loses about $400 on each system. That means, when you buy a Playstation 3 for retail price, you are getting an amazing deal. Since when in history are you getting a good deal when you buy retail?

Microsoft loses some money on each Xbox 360, but not as much. HD DVD players are cheaper than Blu-Ray players, and Xbox 360s don't even include a built in HD DVD player. You have to buy a seperate unit for $199. I don't know if the Xbox 360 Elite includes a built in HD DVD player, but I do know that the Xbox 360 premium doesn't. Therefore, a brand new Xbox 360 premius ($399) plus an HD DVD player ($199) is going to equal the same price as a 60 GB Playstation 3. Because Blu-Ray is better than HD DVD, because the Playstation 3 is more advanced than the Xbox 360, and because Sony loses more money on each system than the Xbox 360, technically, you are getting a better deal when buying a Playstation 3.

However, even though you are getting a better deal with the Playstation 3, would you want to?

For example, lets say you come across a brand new Atari 2600 for $300, and it's worth $800. Would you rather buy it, or pay $50 for a used NES worth $30? Well, most people would rather have the NES, and not care about the brand new Atari 2600. This may be the case with the Playstation 3. You are getting a better deal with more advanced hardware, and Blu-Ray technology, you don't need, or not even want.

Design:

There is never a fact that determines one system, looking nicer than another. It will always be a personal opinion. However, I personally like the PS3s design better than the Xbox 360s. The shiny material really looks elegant. However, the material scratches twice as easily as the Wii's, and looks worse, since scratches show up more on black material, rather than white. Xbox 360 Elite does look very nice. The material doesn't scratch, so a 10 year old, used Xbox 360 Elite will look nicer than a 10 year old, used Playstation 3. In fact, I fear the worst for Playstation 3s, when they're sitting in a box, in the corner of a pawn shop. By then, they would have collected so many fingerprints, dirt, and scratches, that they would look much worse than a severely used iPod Nano. And since the PS3 is so big, that only means more room for more scratches. But at the end, a brand new Playstation 3, even thought it might look like a grill (pretty small grill), looks nicer. At least I personally think so.

Graphics:

Currently, Xbox 360 games are showing better graphics than Playstation 3 games. However, in a year or so, if Playstation 3 isn't showing better graphics with its Blu-Ray technology, than it's safe to declare "Game Over" for Sony. The Playstation 3 was built for graphics. It's one of the only things that PS3 has, or should have had, that Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii don't. Xbox 360 has the games. Nintendo Wii has the controllers. Playstation 3 has, or should have had, the graphics. I am sure that the Playstation 3's games will show significantly better graphics than the Xbox 360 in the future. At least, I hope so.

Games:

Xbox 360 currently has the best reviewed games out there. With Gears of War, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Dead Rising, Call of Duty 2, and many other games that got reviews of 80% or more, the Playstation 3, currently doesn't have a chance. Just wait for Halo 3 to come out. In second place, we have the Wii. Many websites chose Twilight Princess as "Game of the Year." Wario Ware Smooth Moves, and Super Paper Mario also got very good reviews. Playstation 3, on the other hand, has Resistance: Fall of Man. Hmmm... Motor Storm? (Just an ordinary racing game, but lacking multiplayer. An extreme no-no for games of today). Hmmm... Virtua Fighter 5? (That game belongs to Sega, not Sony. Never-the-less, it's your ordinary fighting game). What else, what else? Ridge Racer? No... Sorry... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidgeee Raaaaacerrrr... There we go. Yeah, but Ridge Racer is just another racing game with good graphics. Xbox 360 has many racing games and fighting games. The only great game on the Playstation 3 currently is Resistance: Fall of Man.

Controller:

Xbox 360's controller has no "movement" technology like the Wii and PS3's controllers have, but at least it vibrates.
Playstation 3's controller has "movement" technology, like the Wii's, but more of a stripped down version. Also, it doesn't vibrate. And the controller is the same as last generations. Sony said "vibration is last generation." Like seriously, WTF? What kind of scam is this? You don't ditch last generation's technology for different technology. No, you have both. The wiimote has both, and its "movement" (sorry, I don't know the proper name) technology is far more advanced. Sony could have had both, yet they messed up... Again... Apparently, they had to remove it because of legal issues. That's just dumb. An entire "sense" (sense of touch) has been eliminated from the Playstation 3. There are only three senses in video games. If you remove an entire "sense," you remove an entire "experience." Although the sense of touch isn't anything like sight, or sound in video games, it's still very important. It gave video games that feeling of power. The feeling that you are actually playing a game. It also served as a good hand massager. Wii wins 1st place, followed by Xbox 360, and then Playstation 3. I thought the Boomerang controller looked cool.

The Playstation 3 has a chance in the future, but Sony keeps messing things up. Every day, the PS3's chance of survival is slowly fading away.

So what do you guys think the outcome will be?

You start off ok for once, but you slowly fade to more anti-PS3 crap. There are cheaper blu-ray players than the PS3 now, but I'll let that go since you actually were positive at that point.

Besides bad ports (especially F.E.A.R. which I was looking forward to), I'm not sure what games have worse graphics on the PS3 that you are talking about. So far the 360 only has Gears of War that is graphically better than what the PS3 has. Oblivion got a graphics enhancement from the 360 version, Sigma looks gorgeous, Motorstorm looks great, and Resistance (despite not looking as good as Gears which is unfortunate comparson for different games) looks really good as well, and doesn't lag online like Gears.

And then with the seemingly biased look at the games. Advanced Warfighter 2 will be on the PS3, just like Rainbow 6. Hopefully the developers know what they are doing unlike Day 1 Studios that did the 360 and PS3 ports of F.E.A.R. and don't seem to care about how to use the PS3 (They only did xbox mechassault before...hopefully their 360/PS3 game Fracture is more even in 2008). No mention of Oblivion for the PS3? It currently is the highest rated. Call of Duty 2? Really? Why do you list that game? Call of Duty 3 is on the PS3, even if it wasnt as highly rated as the now dated Call of Duty 2. Homecourt also received good ratings. I really like Ridge Racer, but Motorstorm could use some split-screen but that would sacrafice graphics apparently. That didn't stop them from having 12-player lag-free online play with rankings. Just have to get your friend a PS3 too.

And as has been stated in TOO MANY threads before: the PS3 has some great games coming. Lair, Advanced Warfighter 2, Rainbow 6, and Sigma this summer. Oh, and hopefully Warhawk. Heavenly Sword as well, and apparently a beta of Killzone 2.

It's just cute how you mention multi-platform games that are highly rated on the 360 but leave them out when looking at the PS3, and then criticize highly rated games for the PS3 because you apparently don't like them. To this day Ridge Racer is still the best racing game because I like it's racing style better than any other. For battle-racing I like Mario Kart if not Rock and Roll Racing (good ol' Blizzard). I'm not sure why people prefer the Gran Turismo (exclusive to PS3), but they do.

The PS3 has more games over 80% than the Wii btw. But whatever. We didn't really need another thread saying the same things we've all said before, but thanks alex, for your uneven analysis.

rocketpig said:
windbane said:

Oh really? Then why is Bungie not implementing anti-aliasing in Halo 3 that looks pretty bad so far? When asked if they would, they stated something like "we'll see, we're not sure yet." I guess they don't know about this magic buffer.

In all fairness, Motorstorm launched with no AA. Halo 3 is still 4 1/2 months away and Bungie is polishing up the game. They still might add AA.

But if they don't, I'll be the first person in the disappointment line.

Fair enough.  They were questioned about it recently and couldn't say for sure that they would.  I know they are focused on gameplay, and that's the most important part, but I still thought there would be more of a graphical enhancement from Halo 2.  Does Halo 3 run at 60fps?  I assume it does.  I know Gears ran at 30fps to get its' results.

windbane said:

Fair enough.  They were questioned about it recently and couldn't say for sure that they would.  I know they are focused on gameplay, and that's the most important part, but I still thought there would be more of a graphical enhancement from Halo 2.  Does Halo 3 run at 60fps?  I assume it does.  I know Gears ran at 30fps to get its' results.

I'm not sure what framerate Halo runs at. I haven't heard any concrete evidence on it yet. I don't see why they couldn't put it at 30fps. It worked for Gears.

I'd love it if Bungie made people go through the entire beta phase with no AA and then dropped it in for the launch. Hopefully they will.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Louie said:
CrazzyMan said:
so what is a point of such threads? someone is going to cancel: Killzone2 LBP Ratchet MGS4 FFXIII and FFXIIIv Lair NGS Uncharted Heavenly Sword Warhawk Getaway3 WKS Folks Soul Gran Turismo5 ??? PEOPLE, DO YOU UNDERTSAND, THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY PS3, SO IT DOESN`T MATTER, HOW IT IS SELLING. it only matters for developers, which will make games in 2008-2009. But for 2007-2008 IT DOESN`T MATTER. soon or later, you will just have to buy PS3 to play so much great exclusive games.

Boy, do you understand that 360 and Wii have got more and better exlusives this year? And do you understand Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will just boost the Hardware sales for one month and not the whole lifecicle?

360 is clearly outselling the PS3, now where the PS3 doesn´t sell in Japan anymore. While the PS3 numbers will decline in Japan (there are no (!) games that are worth buying for japanese gamers this year and no, everybodies Golf won´t sell on an expensive system when you can get Wii Sports, too) the 360 Japan numbers can only increase and in the US XBox 360 is at a clear second place and might even sell better than the Wii between September and November.

PS3 - the third place...isn´t it ironic?

Apparently Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid are both comming to the Xbox 360. Another slap in the face for Sony.

Louie said:
CrazzyMan said:
so what is a point of such threads? someone is going to cancel: Killzone2 LBP Ratchet MGS4 FFXIII and FFXIIIv Lair NGS Uncharted Heavenly Sword Warhawk Getaway3 WKS Folks Soul Gran Turismo5 ??? PEOPLE, DO YOU UNDERTSAND, THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY PS3, SO IT DOESN`T MATTER, HOW IT IS SELLING. it only matters for developers, which will make games in 2008-2009. But for 2007-2008 IT DOESN`T MATTER. soon or later, you will just have to buy PS3 to play so much great exclusive games.

Boy, do you understand that 360 and Wii have got more and better exlusives this year? And do you understand Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will just boost the Hardware sales for one month and not the whole lifecicle?

360 is clearly outselling the PS3, now where the PS3 doesn´t sell in Japan anymore. While the PS3 numbers will decline in Japan (there are no (!) games that are worth buying for japanese gamers this year and no, everybodies Golf won´t sell on an expensive system when you can get Wii Sports, too) the 360 Japan numbers can only increase and in the US XBox 360 is at a clear second place and might even sell better than the Wii between September and November.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are both doing so bad in Japan. Wii is already dominating in Japan, and its sales in Japan, and the rest of the world, will only increase. Wii will dominate.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Louie said:
CrazzyMan said:

Apparently Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid are both comming to the Xbox 360. Another slap in the face for Sony.

not sure for FF but MGS4 IS EXCLUSIVE ACORDDING TO KOJMIA

RolStoppable said:

The PS3 would need diversity in the game library compared to the 360 to have a chance to outsell it. As long as the offered gameplay experiences of both consoles are pretty much identical, most people will see the PS3 as practically the same console as 360, just 200$ more and less games in the library.

No matter if you like it or not, Microsoft has done a good job in offsetting games Sony has. We have for example:

Forza - Gran Turismo

Halo - Killzone

Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssee - Final Fantasy

Splinter Cell - Metal Gear Solid

Dead or Alive - Tekken

Of course it's debatable which game series are the better ones, but the point is that to the average customer both consoles offer the same type of games. Plus the fact that most 3rd party games go multiplatform and look graphically identically.

So why spend 200$ more for something that doesn't offer more? This is the challenge for Sony.

Home is underway, but it's only the beginning. The PS3 needs much more diversity to the 360 and Live to convince customers that the PS3 is the better choice. 

Gran Turismo > Forza (by far. I have never even heard of Forza)

Halo > Killzone (Killzone sucked)

Final Fantasy > Blue Dragon, Lost Odysse (Final Fantasy is way better)

Splinter Cell = Metal Gear Solid (both are equally as good)

Dead of Alive = Tekken (both are descent)

All of these games are okay. Except Halo and Metal Gear Solid. Those are outstanding games. Gran Turismo is just your ordinary racing game.

NJ5 said:
RolStoppable said:

Home is underway, but it's only the beginning. The PS3 needs much more diversity to the 360 and Live to convince customers that the PS3 is the better choice.

Maybe I'm too near-sighted, but I don't see how Home can move a $/€ 600 console...

Home is going to do nothing. It's going to do as much as one other game on the system.