By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3

Darth_efe said:
Ok games FF XIII, FF VERSUS XIII, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MGS4, Killzone, God of war 3, and so on most of these games are gonna come out this year all of them are better the the X-box 360 games,

Actually, most of those games WON'T be coming out this year, and some (GoW3) probably won't hit until 2009.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Darth_efe said:
MGS = Splinter cell hell no. Dude u just suck. 

You're right, some of us prefer the Splinter Cell series.

I had a real hard time forgiving Kojima for that rat-turd of a storyline in MGS2 and for the character Raiden. 

RolStoppable said:

The PS3 would need diversity in the game library compared to the 360 to have a chance to outsell it. As long as the offered gameplay experiences of both consoles are pretty much identical, most people will see the PS3 as practically the same console as 360, just 200$ more and less games in the library.

No matter if you like it or not, Microsoft has done a good job in offsetting games Sony has. We have for example:

Forza - Gran Turismo

Halo - Killzone

Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssee - Final Fantasy

Splinter Cell - Metal Gear Solid

Dead or Alive - Tekken

Of course it's debatable which game series are the better ones, but the point is that to the average customer both consoles offer the same type of games. Plus the fact that most 3rd party games go multiplatform and look graphically identically.

So why spend 200$ more for something that doesn't offer more? This is the challenge for Sony.

Home is underway, but it's only the beginning. The PS3 needs much more diversity to the 360 and Live to convince customers that the PS3 is the better choice.

All those games are better and more popular on the PS3 side, except for Halo 3 so I don't think those comparison are that good for the 360 even though they are all great games.

Also, DOA is coming to PS3 most likely. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy are system sellers, can't say the same about MGS, but sales of MGS are better in the U.S., so who knows. Maybe MGS 4 will drive console sales here in the U.S.

Then you look at the 360, and the only one that looks the most definitive of having associated with moving hardware is Halo, and to a lesser extent Forza. Bioshock may pull sales, but I don't know if it will indeed boost sales since it is also headed to the PC. Splinter Cell hasn't been associated with moving hardware and I think the same will apply to the new one. I think it will sell good, but not move hardware.

Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden have huge, huge, huge question marks over their heads as to being an exclusive on a specific console. Afterall, Itagaki claimed that he only wants to make games for the most powerful console, and here we are with Ninja Gaiden coming to the PS3, and for some odd reason, the DS is getting a NG game. Hmm.

tabsina said:
CrazzyMan said:
@Louie, Boy, you propbably don`t understand, that ps3 exclusives owns everything what x360 or wii will have in 2007-2008 ??? btw, PS3 worldwide OUTSELLS x360. @omgwtfbbq. LOL, it`s only half a year has passed. There is nothing to disscuss, only poor x360 sales AFTER 1,5 YEAR! ps2 in first year made 10 mln. in second 20 mln. in third also 20 mln. http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php?date=36951&sort=0 x360 won`t make 20 mln in 2nd year. ps3 may make 10 mln. in first year. and depending on price and BIG exclusive games may make 20 mln in 2nd year. @mrstickball, wii is also must have console, like ps3. But x360, soon or later, all games will go to pc, and soon or later you will have to upgrade your pc, so the only reason to buy x360 today, if you want to play some timed exclusive games earlier. =)

PS3 is doing worse than Xbox 360 in the same timeframe, i don't know what you are trying to pull with that statement

if this happens i'll call you something you probably have never been called before in your life "possibly educated"

are you stupid??? PS3 worldwide doing better, then x360! =)

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=X360&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&align=1

p.s. just wait E3 2k7, after new Killzone 2 trailer, after FFXIII trailer, probably GT5 trailer, new MGS4 trailer, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and so on people will whut up about sales once and for all (sad.. no more holy wars =)) ). Not to mention, some BIG games, which will be announced only on E3.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Poseidon said:

Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy are system sellers, can't say the same about MGS, but sales of MGS are better in the U.S., so who knows. Maybe MGS 4 will drive console sales here in the U.S.

Then you look at the 360, and the only one that looks the most definitive of having associated with moving hardware is Halo, and to a lesser extent Forza. Bioshock may pull sales, but I don't know if it will indeed boost sales since it is also headed to the PC. Splinter Cell hasn't been associated with moving hardware and I think the same will apply to the new one. I think it will sell good, but not move hardware.

Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden have huge, huge, huge question marks over their heads as to being an exclusive on a specific console. Afterall, Itagaki claimed that he only wants to make games for the most powerful console, and here we are with Ninja Gaiden coming to the PS3, and for some odd reason, the DS is getting a NG game. Hmm.

I can agree with most of this post but you're ignoring Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Trusty Bell, and Lost Odyssey for the 360. All RPGs, all from established developers, all AAA games that will move consoles (some to a much greater extent than others).

Also, MGS will be a big system-seller for the PS3. It's the type of game that people clamor over when a console moves to the next generation. It will look beautiful and sell units, no matter whether it's good or not (it probably will be good, if not great). MGS was huge for the PS1, MGS2 was huge for the PS2, MGS4 will be huge for the PS3. Unless Konami goes multi-platform. Then it's wide open. 

rocketpig said:

I can agree with most of this post but you're ignoring Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Trusty Bell, and Lost Odyssey for the 360. All RPGs, all from established developers, all AAA games that will move consoles (some to a much greater extent than others).

Also, MGS will be a big system-seller for the PS3. It's the type of game that people clamor over when a console moves to the next generation. It will look beautiful and sell units, no matter whether it's good or not (it probably will be good, if not great). MGS was huge for the PS1, MGS2 was huge for the PS2, MGS4 will be huge for the PS3. Unless Konami goes multi-platform. Then it's wide open. 

I have my doubts about Blue Dragon, Mass Effect and the others because they aren't reputable franchises, and no one can be certain for sure that they will indeed move hardware. High sales? Of course. Attached hardware? Doubtful. If you base your facts on established developers, and that they are AAA games, then the same can be said about the PS3, but again, doubtful.

I don't think the MGS franchise was in a position where a console relied on them to really boost sales. Again, just by looking at the fact that sales are higher in the U.S., MGS 4 will move hardware in the U.S. Don't know about Europe or Japan.

Poseidon said:

I have my doubts about Blue Dragon, Mass Effect and the others because they aren't reputable franchises, and no one can be certain for sure that they will indeed move hardware. High sales? Of course. Attached hardware? Doubtful. If you base your facts on established developers, and that they are AAA games, then the same can be said about the PS3, but again, doubtful.

I don't think the MGS franchise was in a position where a console relied on them to really boost sales. Again, just by looking at the fact that sales are higher in the U.S., MGS 4 will move hardware in the U.S. Don't know about Europe or Japan.

Once upon a time, FF was unknown in the US (pretty much previous to VII... yes, hardcore NES guys knew it but not the general public). The same applies to MGS for the PS1. While I doubt Trusty Bell or Mass Effect will move many units in the US, I think Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey in particular will move quite a few consoles. At one time or another, every franchise was unknown. And the pedigree behind BD and LO are huge. And you know that MS will advertise the crap out of them (LO in particular, I think).

On the PS1, MGS was one of three big franchises that moved consoles. The other two were FF and GT. All were released in a small amount of time. I hadn't played a PS before going to a friend's house and playing GT and MGS. I ended up with a console the next day. While MGS by itself may not be an enormous system mover in Europe and Japan, I think it would move a healthy amount of consoles in the US. I may be wrong, but that's how I feel about the franchise.

rocketpig said:

Once upon a time, FF was unknown in the US (pretty much previous to VII... yes, hardcore NES guys knew it but not the general public). The same applies to MGS for the PS1. While I doubt Trusty Bell or Mass Effect will move many units in the US, I think Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey in particular will move quite a few consoles. At one time or another, every franchise was unknown. And the pedigree behind BD and LO are huge. And you know that MS will advertise the crap out of them (LO in particular, I think).

On the PS1, MGS was one of three big franchises that moved consoles. The other two were FF and GT. All were released in a small amount of time. I hadn't played a PS before going to a friend's house and playing GT and MGS. I ended up with a console the next day. While MGS by itself may not be an enormous system mover in Europe and Japan, I think it would move a healthy amount of consoles in the US. I may be wrong, but that's how I feel about the franchise.

Well, you can take that up with people who played Final Fantasy on the NES, people who played Final Fantasy III on the SNES, and just about all of Japan where 1-6 were released. The same with people who played Metal Gear on the NES and the MSX2. However, almost everyone will tell you that the predecessor (FF, MGS) were outsold by their respective sequels. You can also compare Mega Man sales with Mega Man II.

The main point is that these were credited and established titles by the time they made their way to the PSX. Yeah, Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid moved consoles (Not sure of the latter) but this wasn't their first foray into the gaming world.

That's why I'm basing my assumption that Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey and the others will not move hardware, and the fact that Blue Dragon really didn't make a dent in Japan (That was supposed to move a lot of hardware, wasn't it?)

Poseidon said:

Well, you can take that up with people who played Final Fantasy on the NES, people who played Final Fantasy III on the SNES, and just about all of Japan where 1-6 were released. The same with people who played Metal Gear on the NES and the MSX2. However, almost everyone will tell you that the predecessor (FF, MGS) were outsold by their respective sequels. You can also compare Mega Man sales with Mega Man II.

The main point is that these were credited and established titles by the time they made their way to the PSX. Yeah, Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid moved consoles (Not sure of the latter) but this wasn't their first foray into the gaming world.

That's why I'm basing my assumption that Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey and the others will not move hardware, and the fact that Blue Dragon really didn't make a dent in Japan (That was supposed to move a lot of hardware, wasn't it?)

Blue Dragon did move a lot of hardware in Japan... By X360 standards.

I understand that people played FF games before VII... But I should have specified that in the United States, it wasn't a widely known entity before VII. Japan is a different story.

I think MGS had a pretty significant impact on the PS1... But I'm entirely speculating on that. If anyone has any numbers to prove/disprove it, I'd love to see them.

And LO can't really be compared with the others IMO... It's going to receive a worldwide marketing blitz that I believe will move consoles for MS. It's the marquee game in a genre that the 360 needs to advertise. The Xbox was an RPG graveyard, MS needs to kill that notion and let people know that there are some good RPGs coming to the system. And I think they'll do it.