By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3

Sales:

Currently, Xbox 360 is dominating the console market with just over 10 million units. Wii is in second place with 7 million units. And Playstation 3 is in last place with just over 3 million units.

However, in Japan, Xbox 360 is doing horribly. Even Sega Saturn beat Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, and Sega Dreamcast in Japan. Don't underestimate the power of the Sega Saturn. That thing did very well in Japan. It was even beating the PS1 and PS2 for a while.

There have been many complaints on the Playstation 3. More so than the Xbox 360. However, even with all of the complaints on the Playstation 3, does it still compete with the Xbox 360? Will it beat the Xbox 360 in sales? Only the future can tell us.

Price:

The 20 GB Playstation 3 costs $499, and the 60 GB Playstation 3 costs $599. The Xbox 360 Core costs $299. The Xbox 360 Premium costs $399. And the Xbox 360 Elite costs $479. Most people would choose the Xbox 360 to win in the price battle. However, just because the Xbox 360 is cheaper than the Playstation 3, doesn't mean that you're getting a better deal.

For example, a $300 Playstation 2 is not going to be a better deal than a $400 Xbox 360, because Playstation 2s are only worth about $130 brand new. Is this the same with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3?

Well, a standard Blu-Ray player costs about $800.00. The Playstation 3's Blu-Ray player is better quality than most, standard Blu-Ray players, and about $200 cheaper. Not only that, but Blu-Ray is only one feature that the Playstation 3 has to offer. Sony loses about $400 on each system. That means, when you buy a Playstation 3 for retail price, you are getting an amazing deal. Since when in history are you getting a good deal when you buy retail?

Microsoft loses some money on each Xbox 360, but not as much. HD DVD players are cheaper than Blu-Ray players, and Xbox 360s don't even include a built in HD DVD player. You have to buy a seperate unit for $199. I don't know if the Xbox 360 Elite includes a built in HD DVD player, but I do know that the Xbox 360 premium doesn't. Therefore, a brand new Xbox 360 premius ($399) plus an HD DVD player ($199) is going to equal the same price as a 60 GB Playstation 3. Because Blu-Ray is better than HD DVD, because the Playstation 3 is more advanced than the Xbox 360, and because Sony loses more money on each system than the Xbox 360, technically, you are getting a better deal when buying a Playstation 3.

However, even though you are getting a better deal with the Playstation 3, would you want to?

For example, lets say you come across a brand new Atari 2600 for $300, and it's worth $800. Would you rather buy it, or pay $50 for a used NES worth $30? Well, most people would rather have the NES, and not care about the brand new Atari 2600. This may be the case with the Playstation 3. You are getting a better deal with more advanced hardware, and Blu-Ray technology, you don't need, or not even want.

Design:

There is never a fact that determines one system, looking nicer than another. It will always be a personal opinion. However, I personally like the PS3s design better than the Xbox 360s. The shiny material really looks elegant. However, the material scratches twice as easily as the Wii's, and looks worse, since scratches show up more on black material, rather than white. Xbox 360 Elite does look very nice. The material doesn't scratch, so a 10 year old, used Xbox 360 Elite will look nicer than a 10 year old, used Playstation 3. In fact, I fear the worst for Playstation 3s, when they're sitting in a box, in the corner of a pawn shop. By then, they would have collected so many fingerprints, dirt, and scratches, that they would look much worse than a severely used iPod Nano. And since the PS3 is so big, that only means more room for more scratches. But at the end, a brand new Playstation 3, even thought it might look like a grill (pretty small grill), looks nicer. At least I personally think so.

Graphics:

Currently, Xbox 360 games are showing better graphics than Playstation 3 games. However, in a year or so, if Playstation 3 isn't showing better graphics with its Blu-Ray technology, than it's safe to declare "Game Over" for Sony. The Playstation 3 was built for graphics. It's one of the only things that PS3 has, or should have had, that Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii don't. Xbox 360 has the games. Nintendo Wii has the controllers. Playstation 3 has, or should have had, the graphics. I am sure that the Playstation 3's games will show significantly better graphics than the Xbox 360 in the future. At least, I hope so.

Games:

Xbox 360 currently has the best reviewed games out there. With Gears of War, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Dead Rising, Call of Duty 2, and many other games that got reviews of 80% or more, the Playstation 3, currently doesn't have a chance. Just wait for Halo 3 to come out. In second place, we have the Wii. Many websites chose Twilight Princess as "Game of the Year." Wario Ware Smooth Moves, and Super Paper Mario also got very good reviews. Playstation 3, on the other hand, has Resistance: Fall of Man. Hmmm... Motor Storm? (Just an ordinary racing game, but lacking multiplayer. An extreme no-no for games of today). Hmmm... Virtua Fighter 5? (That game belongs to Sega, not Sony. Never-the-less, it's your ordinary fighting game). What else, what else? Ridge Racer? No... Sorry... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidgeee Raaaaacerrrr... There we go. Yeah, but Ridge Racer is just another racing game with good graphics. Xbox 360 has many racing games and fighting games. The only great game on the Playstation 3 currently is Resistance: Fall of Man.

Controller:

Xbox 360's controller has no "movement" technology like the Wii and PS3's controllers have, but at least it vibrates.
Playstation 3's controller has "movement" technology, like the Wii's, but more of a stripped down version. Also, it doesn't vibrate. And the controller is the same as last generations. Sony said "vibration is last generation." Like seriously, WTF? What kind of scam is this? You don't ditch last generation's technology for different technology. No, you have both. The wiimote has both, and its "movement" (sorry, I don't know the proper name) technology is far more advanced. Sony could have had both, yet they messed up... Again... Apparently, they had to remove it because of legal issues. That's just dumb. An entire "sense" (sense of touch) has been eliminated from the Playstation 3. There are only three senses in video games. If you remove an entire "sense," you remove an entire "experience." Although the sense of touch isn't anything like sight, or sound in video games, it's still very important. It gave video games that feeling of power. The feeling that you are actually playing a game. It also served as a good hand massager. Wii wins 1st place, followed by Xbox 360, and then Playstation 3. I thought the Boomerang controller looked cool.

The Playstation 3 has a chance in the future, but Sony keeps messing things up. Every day, the PS3's chance of survival is slowly fading away.

So what do you guys think the outcome will be?

Around the Network

Another topic, same content. Try to use search function time to time. As soon as big games arrive X360 will drop below PS3. Expect this kind of an answer from pro-Sony gamers. Here goes from x - "Never, Halo 3 will boost sale of X into cosmic space" and Nintendo - "It really doesn't matter because Wii is going to outsell X and PS3 combined"

I'm pro neither and I can't see the 360 keeping the lead WW for very much longer... PS3 will over take and I think Microsoft will eventually place 3rd this generation... infact I don't have much doubt of that. At least it was good to provide excellent games while we waited for the Wii and PS3 to come out and all the hella long time it took for those games to get finished.

At the current pace & projections, theres no way that the PS3 can pass the 360 in sales until 2010 or 2011.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

so what is a point of such threads? someone is going to cancel: Killzone2 LBP Ratchet MGS4 FFXIII and FFXIIIv Lair NGS Uncharted Heavenly Sword Warhawk Getaway3 WKS Folks Soul Gran Turismo5 ??? PEOPLE, DO YOU UNDERTSAND, THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY PS3, SO IT DOESN`T MATTER, HOW IT IS SELLING. it only matters for developers, which will make games in 2008-2009. But for 2007-2008 IT DOESN`T MATTER. soon or later, you will just have to buy PS3 to play so much great exclusive games.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

...Kinda like how everyone must to buy exclusives for the Wii and X360 as well, eh?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

CrazzyMan said:
so what is a point of such threads? someone is going to cancel: Killzone2 LBP Ratchet MGS4 FFXIII and FFXIIIv Lair NGS Uncharted Heavenly Sword Warhawk Getaway3 WKS Folks Soul Gran Turismo5 ??? PEOPLE, DO YOU UNDERTSAND, THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY PS3, SO IT DOESN`T MATTER, HOW IT IS SELLING. it only matters for developers, which will make games in 2008-2009. But for 2007-2008 IT DOESN`T MATTER. soon or later, you will just have to buy PS3 to play so much great exclusive games.

Boy, do you understand that 360 and Wii have got more and better exlusives this year? And do you understand Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will just boost the Hardware sales for one month and not the whole lifecicle?

360 is clearly outselling the PS3, now where the PS3 doesn´t sell in Japan anymore. While the PS3 numbers will decline in Japan (there are no (!) games that are worth buying for japanese gamers this year and no, everybodies Golf won´t sell on an expensive system when you can get Wii Sports, too) the 360 Japan numbers can only increase and in the US XBox 360 is at a clear second place and might even sell better than the Wii between September and November.

PS3 - the third place...isn´t it ironic?

@ Louie

It depends what you like. For me PS3 lineup is the most impressive one due to MGS and FF etc. Please don't start with these BOY crap and understanding of sale in general because success of games like FF VII shows something totally different then you are trying to present. That was breaktrough for PSX. PS3 is waiting for such game. Maybe MGS and FFXIII is one of them.

Threads like this leads nowhere. Noone knows what will happen in future and everyone has own point of view and preference.

CrazzyMan said:

keep it on topic. We're discussing sales of the machines, not what you should buy. Obviously if you want to play those games, you will have to buy a PS3. That's not the point of this thread.

Stop bringing up off topic crap in every thread you post in.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

RolStoppable said:

So why spend 200$ more for something that doesn't offer more? This is the challenge for Sony.

True. That's the main reason of medicore sale of PS3. I believe upcoming games will show something we haven't seen before. For most of people there is no need to debate about lineup you've posted MGS will be always better than Splinter, FF than Blue Dragon, Tekken than Dead or Alive etc. This games are almost as good as PS3's but almost is everything for me. Top dogs - > PS3.