By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games Consultant Believes Nintendo NX Could Be "The Defining Video Game Controller Of The Smart Device Age"

Ka-pi96 said:
Oh I really hope he's wrong. I'd actually like to like a Nintendo console. Their games are fine, but that's all I want. I want to play some Nintendo games and I don't want to have to put up with some stupid gimmicks to do it. Please just release a regular console Nintendo.

this

Around the Network

The guy seems more interested in pretending he's an engineer than a serious analyst. His interface ideas suck.

Mr Khan said:
Nintendo said it was a console, that was the point of announcing it, to quell the incessant rumors of abandonment that would have otherwise cropped up after the DeNA presser.

The guy specifies a low powered box under a TV so is still technically a console. Doesn't make the prediction any less ridic...

Ka-pi96 said:
bigtakilla said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Oh I really hope he's wrong. I'd actually like to like a Nintendo console. Their games are fine, but that's all I want. I want to play some Nintendo games and I don't want to have to put up with some stupid gimmicks to do it. Please just release a regular console Nintendo.

You should get a Wii U, no gimmicks there.

Except for the gamepad, although I will admit it does actually work quite well as a controller. I had a Wii U but MK8 was literally the only game I used it for. Now if Nintendo come out next gen with a decent console at a decent price (usually more of a Sony/MS problem rather than Nintendo ) get MK, a good Mario game (hopefully 64 re release as well, that re release for the VC kinda made me wish I still had a Wii U) and a Pokemon game and I'd buy that up!

I would say it's the opitome of a controller that doesn't force gimmicks on the player. It's funny to think of the backlash it gets because of that fact too. "All it's used for is item management, off tv play, and minimaps", well that's exactly what I want it for! Not sure why people want things forced into games. 

JRPGfan said:

*sarcasm on*

Low... and behold!.....

The power glove is back! and its going to save nintendo!

*sarcasm off*

If this is nintendos hyped up Nintendo NX, then lmao.
A controller you can use for your smart phones..... or a power glove...... Not sure if I should laugh or cry at this.

What I hope (and think) nintendo NX is:

a new consol, with a AMD x86 APU that has hybrid memory cube technology.

a new consol, equal to PS4 in performance atleast, without any money sinks in it (ei, no silly powergloves/gamepads) just a normal controller needed for it.

The handheld is due first, no way NX is the next home console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

*sarcasm on*

Low... and behold!.....

The power glove is back! and its going to save nintendo!

*sarcasm off*

If this is nintendos hyped up Nintendo NX, then lmao.
A controller you can use for your smart phones..... or a power glove...... Not sure if I should laugh or cry at this.

What I hope (and think) nintendo NX is:

a new consol, with a AMD x86 APU that has hybrid memory cube technology.

a new consol, equal to PS4 in performance atleast, without any money sinks in it (ei, no silly powergloves/gamepads) just a normal controller needed for it.

The handheld is due first, no way NX is the next home console.

The NX is likely both, just that the console form will come a little later than the handheld form.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

bigtakilla said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Because using an iPad as a controller isn't a gimmick.

pokoko said:
So, Nintendo doesn't jump into red oceans, huh? Are we going to retcon the Wii U out of existence if Nintendo's next platform is a success?

On topic, I've said this before, but I think Nintendo's "fusion" is going to be a handheld that plays mobile games natively in addition to its own content.

I agree on both.

Yes, not only the WiiU is a red ocean product, Gamecube and N64 were too. In my opinion Gameboy, NES, DS and Wii were blue ocean products. It's debatable for NES though, as two gens of homeconsole already existed, but I think Nintendo did enough differently and the market was nearly dead after the crash, so NES can count as blue ocean.

I also think a handheld playing mobile games is a possibility. 3DS already got some mobile titles ported. Puzzle&Dragons is pretty successful in that. If the next handheld allows to play Android games with minimal or no porting effort, more devs might take this chance.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

torok said:
bigtakilla said:

Because using an iPad as a controller isn't a gimmick.

Most of the games i play do not force you to use the gamepad, so no.

In short, it's describing the NX as a controller interface for existing mobile devices and a micro console, like Playstation TV, that provides access to games and online services in the living room.

The problem with this is the core of Nintendo's audience is still well within the toy market; they want to buy Nintendo handhelds and to a lesser extent, consoles. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to keep that core audience although clearly, it is not a growth market given the sales of the Wii U.

No point in using the Wii as an example why this isn't so; the majority of buyers weren't buying a game console so much as they were buying Wii Sports and Wii Fit. No one can deny that those games were responsible for millions of consumers buying those specific video games who were not prior console video gamers. The only problem is that those same one time buyers are once again, not console video gamers.

That said, I would buy a Nintendo controller that used my iPad or my iPhone, or could even interface with laptops if they allowed me access to the small number of Nintendo IPs that I still enjoy, but wouldn't buy another console to play.

I know there's going to a big split with regards to what they want to see in the next Nintendo console, particularly on gamer sites like VGC. Most users here prefer consoles, a smaller number tout the advantages of PC gaming, and a very small minority are primarily mobile gamers. Naturally, Nintendo fans on VGC are going to want another traditional console, which will be a traditional box that plays games off optical media bought at retail, even if it has a new, clever game interface for the living room.

But the thing is, if Nintendo is forward looking and not simply trying to make another generation of consoles for the same audience, which seems to hover under or around the 20m mark (larger for handhelds), they need to look elsewhere unless they are content to cater to that same niche.