By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games Consultant Believes Nintendo NX Could Be "The Defining Video Game Controller Of The Smart Device Age"

zorg1000 said:

I don't see how u can hear, "dedicated gaming platform", or whatever phrase Nintendo used and come to the conclusion that they're releasing a controller accessory for smart devices.

Yeah that was my first thoughts as well.

Nintendo does do their own thing and will look for a new blue ocean. That is what their other device is for, a new blue ocean in health / life improvements.

NX is stated as a dedicated gaming console. It may have a new controller OR it may decide to somehow build off of the gamepad idea (the portable portion) and the pro-controller (core gamer focus). I think WiiU proved Nintendo was moving back to a "normal" gaming controller as both of its controllers are dual analog with similar layouts to what has become the accepted control option.

To me, what is obvious is the blue ocean will be focused on inter-connectivity between smart-devices and dedicated consoles. It will be more about the gameplay options and bridging of said devices than a controller.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:
zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:
mindbogglingly dense.
I already made a huge thread about how it's a tablet.
Get over it, media!

I don't think NX is going to be a single device, more like a family of devices that share a common architecture, operating system, online infrastructure, account system, software library. Iwata has stated how they would like to mimic the strategy Apple has with iOS and Miyamoto has hinted at not necessarily needing multiple devices to play all Nintendo games, so such a strategy doesn't seem out of the question.

Perhaps a handheld midway between Xbox 360 & Wii U in terms of specs/performance, along with a console & tablet variants that are more powerful.

NX Handheld-300 gflop, 2gb RAM, 5 inch/540p screen

NX Tablet-600 gflop, 4gb RAM, 7 inch/720p screen

NX Console-1200 gflop, 8gb RAM, up to 1080p resolution

They will likely have spread out the launch of each device and could likely retail for about $249.99 give or take in 2016-2018.

I've already been through all that. It's not the unification of software infrastructure. The brass have already said it's a console.

The most likely event is that it's a tablet which works as a wiiU tablet, is standalone, works with android etc type games, and is a platform for their now mobile branch of games, and also works as a platform for using amiibo, cards, and anything else Nintendo has ideas about. The figure game is very big in Japan. There are tons of arcade machines that level up your figures. You can find them everywhere. They are making a portable version. It's not meant to compete with things like ipad or kindle either.

Console and handheld are out of the question. It is very unlikely as they have shown NX on a picture in conjuction with the 3ds and wiiu

This new QoL direction Nintendo is taking works really well on their bottom line. They are making tons of money...well, not really tons comparatively, but very very high margin profits. It only makes sense to start expanding the amiibo and card line in this direction with this device.

Yes I know, NX is hardware, I'm saying I don't believe NX is a single device, I think it's more likely to be a family of devices that allows one to choose a form factor based on their personal preferences. If u prefer playing at home, on a big screen TV, get the console variant. If u prefer a small device that fits in ur pocket/purse, get the portable variant. If u prefer a bigger handheld device, get the tablet variant.

Console/portable aren't out of the question at all, that picture just shows the devices that Nintendo's new membership program will support.

-NX family of devices

-Amiibo figurines/cards

-Mobile games/apps

-QoL products/services

-IP licensing (films/series)

I believe these lines of products/services will be Nintendo's focus going forward.

Oh, well yeah. Long term, Nintendo said it was going to be releasing products with shared infrastructure. When you say "NX family" you mean that their next updates to wiiu and 3ds will be similar. To that I can agree, but up to 2018, I'm not so sure. I think we'll see maybe the WiiU successor in a couple years, but I guess it really all depends on the potential profitability of the system. Once they get the engine going, they'll probably make decisions from there. WiiU has a lot of potential still unrealized. They could probably get to 20m+ from the system before updating.

I don't think there is a "blue ocean" out there.

What demographic doesn't play video games today?

Casuals/extreme non-gamers/housewives/women play smartphone games en masse, so Nintendo's entry into the smartphone gaming realm addresses that need. The market area that the Wii/DS filled is now filled and even expanded upon by smartphones, so that's not a blue ocean.

Sony/MS basically own the traditional gamer space. That's obviously not a blue ocean.

You can't just say "blue ocean" and then not have an actual audience to back it up with, it's just a meaningless buzz word otherwise.

I mean unless Nintendo is planning to make games for pets or erotic/sex based games ... these are actually legitimate blue oceans because no one is making games really for said audience, but obviously Nintendo isn't going in that direction.

I think with NX it's more just about being different from Sony/MS and hoping that's enough to garner a profitable hardware slice of the pie for Nintendo. They'll try the unified platform idea in unison with some wacky new gimmick/controller that hopefully works out better than the Wii U tablet did for them.

I have read this twice and still are unsure what the author is trying to say. May someone please provide me with some assistance?

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

If Nintendo is looking for my grandmother again, I'll be looking for some other place to play games lol

Around the Network

This article is a joke right? Might Nintendo try to create a new market? I m sure they are always trying to and/or working to that direction- but everything else in the article seems like an April fools post- none of it makes any sense-

AlfredoTurkey said:
If Nintendo is looking for my grandmother again, I'll be looking for some other place to play games lol

Pretty sure QoL and iOS/Android will take care of that for Nintendo. 

In a way they kinda have the freedom to make NX whatever they want so long as it has a decent shot at profitibility. 

That sounds terrible. Thankfully his guesses are just guesses.

spemanig said:
torok said:

The definition of "gimmick" would be something that promises to change significant aspects but in the end doesn't add nothing significant.

You need a dictionary. That is not remotely what the word means or implies. The sillouette level in SM3DW is a gimmick. The barrel sections in Tropical Freeze are gimmicks. You're describing a lie, not a gimmick. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a gimmick.

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. It began, however, as a slang term for something that a con artist or magician had his assistant manipulate to make appearances different from reality. Such things as the manipulating of a gaming wheel led to the idea of a "gimmick" being used. Musicians often use gimmicks such as Slash's top hat, Angus Young's schoolboy uniform and Deadmau5's mouse helmet.[1]"

Let's do a checklist:

- The gamepad is unique, since no other console slapped a screen on a big controller. It's quirky too, unusual at least. It surely stands out.

- "Little relevance or use". It didn't changed significantly the gameplay in most games. It's basically inventory and mini-map, something that still can be done without it (and some could argue that at least the map is better on the TV itself).

- "A special feature for the sake of having a special feature". Right now, it's basically what the gamepad is doing.

That's from Wikipedia. Here's my dictionary. That's exactly the meaning of the word and it fits perfectly. The second and third sentenced that I cited are exactly what I said in my previous post. And with a source to back it up.

EricFabian said:
spemanig said:
When did "gimmick" suddenly start to mean "that thing I don't like?"

since Wii mote

Actually Wii Mote is less gimmicky than the gamepad, if you ask me.

Sure you could play games like resident evil on other consols with a normal controller, but playing it with the nunchucks made it much better on the wii.

Meanwhile.... no game ive played so far, has made me think.... this gamepad is GREAT! how could I ever have lived without it.

Gamepad = expensive annouying screen you have to look at instead of tv, to see your minimap.

And its not nearly as comfortable to use as a normal controller. When I play on the wii, I usually hog the normal controller and force my brother on the gamepad.

To me atleast, gamepad is a failed design. I think nintendo should have used a normal controller and sold their consol 100$ cheaper.

Also you cannot compair Nunchucks to gamepad, because the nunchucks where much cheaper, so the overall cost of it didnt effect the consol price as much as the gamepad does. The gamepad needs to go, nintendo tried it this gen and it failed. Hopefully they realise this and dont make same mistake next consol.