By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games Consultant Believes Nintendo NX Could Be "The Defining Video Game Controller Of The Smart Device Age"

torok said:

It was built around the gimmick of having a screen on its controller. It uses outdated hardware to be cheaper and allow them to put the money in the controller. The controller choice actually forced their hand to make a weaker hardware so, if it isn't used, it only makes the console worse.

That's like saying the second analog stick is a gimmick. Gimmick comes from fleeting implementation, not merely existing. There's no gimmick to how the gamepad is used when it's used. Constantly looking at it for map information is the antithesis of a gimmick. You not liking it doesn't suddenly make it a gimmick.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:

It is used, just not for gimmicks. ;).

Also, I highly question the controller making Nintendo go with weaker hardware. It's just something Nintendo has done this past decade. (Console and Handheld)

That controller costs around US$ 100 to be manufactured. The console uses a CPU with 2001 GameCube tech and a 2009/10 GPU. If they used a regular controller, they would be able to beef up specs without increasing the retail price. The controller obviously made the package more expensive and they had to cut something to sell for 300 bucks. Another possibility would be keep the hardware but sell it at 200 bucks. Either way, big advantages.

Creating a US$ 100 controller, with poor battery life that is used to show a minimap that could fit in the corner of the screen (with the bonus that you can look at it without removing your focus from the game) or for basic invetory management is pretty much as gimmicky as it can get.

The definition of "gimmick" would be something that promises to change significant aspects but in the end doesn't add nothing significant.

When did "gimmick" suddenly start to mean "that thing I don't like?"

spemanig said:
torok said:

It was built around the gimmick of having a screen on its controller. It uses outdated hardware to be cheaper and allow them to put the money in the controller. The controller choice actually forced their hand to make a weaker hardware so, if it isn't used, it only makes the console worse.

That's like saying the second analog stick is a gimmick. Gimmick comes from fleeting implementation, not merely existing. There's no gimmick to how the gamepad is used when it's used. Constantly looking at it for map information is the antithesis of a gimmick. You not liking it doesn't suddenly make it a gimmick.

This

spemanig said:
When did "gimmick" suddenly start to mean "that thing I don't like?"

since Wii mote

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
mindbogglingly dense.
I already made a huge thread about how it's a tablet.
Get over it, media!

I don't think NX is going to be a single device, more like a family of devices that share a common architecture, operating system, online infrastructure, account system, software library. Iwata has stated how they would like to mimic the strategy Apple has with iOS and Miyamoto has hinted at not necessarily needing multiple devices to play all Nintendo games, so such a strategy doesn't seem out of the question.

Perhaps a handheld midway between Xbox 360 & Wii U in terms of specs/performance, along with a console & tablet variants that are more powerful.

NX Handheld-300 gflop, 2gb RAM, 5 inch/540p screen

NX Tablet-600 gflop, 4gb RAM, 7 inch/720p screen

NX Console-1200 gflop, 8gb RAM, up to 1080p resolution

They will likely have spread out the launch of each device and could likely retail for about $249.99 give or take in 2016-2018.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

kljesta64 said:
for the sake of the industry I hope Nintendo keeps innovating.

You mean more innovations that no one wants?

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
kljesta64 said:

Trying to innovate can be hit or miss, clearly they succeeded with Wii & DS and not so much with Wii U & 3DS.

If Nintendo didn't try to innovate with controllers, perhaps we would never have gotten the D-pad or shoulder buttons or triggers or rumble or the diamond layout, maybe we would still be using that monstrosity of a controller that Atari 5200/IntelleVision/ColecoVision used in the early 80's, how does that sound to u?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

torok said:

The definition of "gimmick" would be something that promises to change significant aspects but in the end doesn't add nothing significant.

You need a dictionary. That is not remotely what the word means or implies. The sillouette level in SM3DW is a gimmick. The barrel sections in Tropical Freeze are gimmicks. You're describing a lie, not a gimmick. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a gimmick.

alternine said:
kljesta64 said:

It's a gamble that can go either way. A quarter of a billion units were sold on the touch screen or the Wiimote, while glasses-less 3D and the touchscreen both failed to inspire. Presuming the failure is as unwise as presuming the success.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.