By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games Consultant Believes Nintendo NX Could Be "The Defining Video Game Controller Of The Smart Device Age"

EricFabian said:
spemanig said:
When did "gimmick" suddenly start to mean "that thing I don't like?"

since Wii mote

Ah, but motion gaming is still around, so would it be an innovation of the industry?

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
EricFabian said:

since Wii mote

Actually Wii Mote is less gimmicky than the gamepad, if you ask me.

Sure you could play games like resident evil on other consols with a normal controller, but playing it with the nunchucks made it much better on the wii.

Meanwhile.... no game ive played so far, has made me think.... this gamepad is GREAT! how could I ever have lived without it.

Gamepad = expensive annouying screen you have to look at instead of tv, to see your minimap.

And its not nearly as comfortable to use as a normal controller. When I play on the wii, I usually hog the normal controller and force my brother on the gamepad.

To me atleast, gamepad is a failed design. I think nintendo should have used a normal controller and sold their consol 100$ cheaper.

Also you cannot compair Nunchucks to gamepad, because the nunchucks where much cheaper, so the overall cost of it didnt effect the consol price as much as the gamepad does. The gamepad needs to go, nintendo tried it this gen and it failed. Hopefully they realise this and dont make same mistake next consol.

Lol, I don't think you have any idea what the definition of gimmick is.

Oh, and the arguement on why the gamepad is "bad" is pretty sad. 

pokoko said:
So, Nintendo doesn't jump into red oceans, huh? Are we going to retcon the Wii U out of existence if Nintendo's next platform is a success?

On topic, I've said this before, but I think Nintendo's "fusion" is going to be a handheld that plays mobile games natively in addition to its own content.

LOL @ quoting "Nintendo Fusion"!!! We could only dream and hope of that beast! Q.Q

Hope the new console has wiimotes: those things worked so well with RE4 and I feel it can work with shooters.

Well Iwata did say that the ONLY reason they announced the existence of the platform code named "NX" was to reassure "core gamers" that they are NOT abandoning real video games in any shape or form. They wanted to make damn sure that no one though that this deal meant that they are leaving the core gaming industry to focus on mobile games and apps. The idea of that happening is a laughable joke and people are complete idiots for even considering such blasphemy. I seriously LOL @ them and feel sorry for such thoughts of stupidity.

I believe that DeNa is simply just going to help them unify a system that will allow Nintendo to connect a seamless experience for all users of both markets. Nintendo realises they didn't do a very good job at making the 3DS and Wii U connect as a single unified account. Sony on the other hand did this exceedingly well with PSN on both the PS3/PS4 with the PSP/Vita. This will bring Nintendo closer to their rivals and even allow a seamless interaction to mobile and PC devices. They will also be able to develop mobile apps and games that will sell by the millions. I also think that Nintendo will create new studios and a new department that will focus solely on this new venue.

I truly do believe Nintendo when they reassured gamers that this is a new core system. I might add that people are far to quick to assume that new platform is a console. It very well may be a new handheld and a successor to the 3DS. Perhaps it is a code name for not a console per say but an idea of platform based on unity. A combination of both a console and a handheld that are in perfect synchronization.

Around the Network

Interesting article, if a little way out. I agree that the blue ocean strategy doesn't quite tally up with the partnership with DeNA, at least it doesn't look that way on the surface. The intention to unify the Nintendo experience on smartphones, handhelds and home consoles through one membership service looks more like an attempt to lure the casual players back into playing console games.

They said that the NX would be a platform with a brand new concept, but new controller? I don't know. They've done 'new controller' twice now with the Wii and Wii U, so to have yet another innovative new controller is, well, what everyone would expect from Nintendo. But Nintendo tend to do the unexpected.

Opinions may be divided on the Wii U Gamepad but I don't think anyone can say it's lacking in features - touch screen, NFC, motion control, off-screen play, dual screen play, picks up inputs from pro controllers and wii motes. My feeling is that with the next generation they're not going to scrap everything and do something new - I think this time they're going to build on and refine what they have, at least as far as a controller is concerned.

Hedra42 said:

Interesting article, if a little way out. I agree that the blue ocean strategy doesn't quite tally up with the partnership with DeNA, at least it doesn't look that way on the surface. The intention to unify the Nintendo experience on smartphones, handhelds and home consoles through one membership service looks more like an attempt to lure the casual players back into playing console games.

They said that the NX would be a platform with a brand new concept, but new controller? I don't know. They've done 'new controller' twice now with the Wii and Wii U, so to have yet another innovative new controller is, well, what everyone would expect from Nintendo. But Nintendo tend to do the unexpected.

Opinions may be divided on the Wii U Gamepad but I don't think anyone can deny that it is lacking in features - touch screen, NFC, motion control, off-screen play, dual screen play, picks up inputs from pro controllers and wii motes. My feeling is that with the next generation they're not going to scrap everything and do something new - I think this time they're going to build on and refine what they have, at least as far as a controller is concerned.

I think Nintendo has already said that they feel iterating on an existing console is "boring". I'd probably expect a new type of controller entirely next time out, probably something fairly wacky/wild to boot. 

They're already using phrases like "new way to play" with regards to the NX. 

Besides I think they try every second generation to bring something new to the table NES (revolution) - SNES (evolution) - N64 (revolution) - GameCube (evolution) - Wii (revolution) - Wii U (evolution) - NX (revolution?). 

So they probably are pushing their R&D to come up with something new next time around. Maybe some type of transforming/break apart game pad? How about a new age Powerglove with sensation feedback? 

The only problem with a controller though is its fairly easy for others to copy. 

Very interesting, I guess we can expect anything from Nintendo.

Soundwave said:
Hedra42 said:

Opinions may be divided on the Wii U Gamepad but I don't think anyone can deny that it is lacking in features - touch screen, NFC, motion control, off-screen play, dual screen play, picks up inputs from pro controllers and wii motes. My feeling is that with the next generation they're not going to scrap everything and do something new - I think this time they're going to build on and refine what they have, at least as far as a controller is concerned.

I think Nintendo has already said that they feel iterating on an existing console is "boring". I'd probably expect a new type of controller entirely next time out, probably something fairly wacky/wild to boot. 

They're already using phrases like "new way to play" with regards to the NX. 

Besides I think they try every second generation to bring something new to the table NES (revolution) - SNES (evolution) - N64 (revolution) - GameCube (evolution) - Wii (revolution) - Wii U (evolution) - NX (revolution?). 

So they probably are pushing their R&D to come up with something new next time around. Maybe some type of transforming/break apart game pad? How about a new age Powerglove with sensation feedback? 

The only problem with a controller though is its fairly easy for others to copy. 

That evolution/revolution theory also works for their handhelds

Gameboy to Gameboy Advance

Nintendo DS to Nintendo 3DS

NX is going to the revolution for the handheld and console

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Did they not listen to the only thing Iwata said about the NX? That it would be a dedicatd gaming device?