By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games Consultant Believes Nintendo NX Could Be "The Defining Video Game Controller Of The Smart Device Age"

zorg1000 said:
alternine said:

You mean more innovations that no one wants?

Trying to innovate can be hit or miss, clearly they succeeded with Wii & DS and not so much with Wii U & 3DS.

If Nintendo didn't try to innovate with controllers, perhaps we would never have gotten the D-pad or shoulder buttons or triggers or rumble or the diamond layout, maybe we would still be using that monstrosity of a controller that Atari 5200/IntelleVision/ColecoVision used in the early 80's, how does that sound to u?

I still think we would have gotten the DualShock but you're right about those Atari/IV/CV contollers. God they were terrible.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
alternine said:

You mean more innovations that no one wants?

It's a gamble that can go either way. A quarter of a billion units were sold on the touch screen or the Wiimote, while glasses-less 3D and the touchscreen both failed to inspire. Presuming the failure is as unwise as presuming the success.

You maybe right but you can only capture lightning in a bottle so many times...

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
zorg1000 said:

Trying to innovate can be hit or miss, clearly they succeeded with Wii & DS and not so much with Wii U & 3DS.

If Nintendo didn't try to innovate with controllers, perhaps we would never have gotten the D-pad or shoulder buttons or triggers or rumble or the diamond layout, maybe we would still be using that monstrosity of a controller that Atari 5200/IntelleVision/ColecoVision used in the early 80's, how does that sound to u?

I still think we would have gotten the DualShock but you're right about those Atari/IV/CV contollers. God they were terrible.

Perhaps the DualShock would have still eventually existed but there is no guarantee of that since the original PS controller was pretty much a redesigned SNES controller with 2 extra shoulder buttons, had Nintendo not pioneered the D-pad, diamond layout, shoulder buttons than its just as likely that the PS controller as we know it would have never been created.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

alternine said:

You maybe right but you only capture lightning in a bottle so many times...

They did it with the dpad, start and select, ABXY diamond formation, sholder buttons, the trigger, the rumble pac, save states, the analog stick, the touch screen, and then with the Wii remote.

If anyone has proven that they are skilled at consistantly "catching lightning in a bottle," it's Nintendo.

alternine said:
Mr Khan said:

It's a gamble that can go either way. A quarter of a billion units were sold on the touch screen or the Wiimote, while glasses-less 3D and the touchscreen both failed to inspire. Presuming the failure is as unwise as presuming the success.

You maybe right but you can only capture lightning in a bottle so many times...

The thing is that there is a huge middle ground between Wii/DS & Wii U/3DS, Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to have some huge Wii/DS level success to be considered relevant, over the course of like 5 years, Wii/DS sold about 250 million units of hardware, 1.8 billion units of software and made about $15 billion profit. On the other hand, GC/GBA sold like 100 million units of hardware, 500 million units of software and made like $4 billion profit over the course of 5 years. Obviously Wii/DS level success is more preferable for Nintendo but they have shown they can be very successful and profitable without those types of sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

99% sure he is talking absolute bollocks.

NX is a handheld in my eyes. 2017/18 release. It would be cool if it had an Play store and games could work from phones there too......except not Android os.

zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:
mindbogglingly dense.
I already made a huge thread about how it's a tablet.
Get over it, media!

I don't think NX is going to be a single device, more like a family of devices that share a common architecture, operating system, online infrastructure, account system, software library. Iwata has stated how they would like to mimic the strategy Apple has with iOS and Miyamoto has hinted at not necessarily needing multiple devices to play all Nintendo games, so such a strategy doesn't seem out of the question.

Perhaps a handheld midway between Xbox 360 & Wii U in terms of specs/performance, along with a console & tablet variants that are more powerful.

NX Handheld-300 gflop, 2gb RAM, 5 inch/540p screen

NX Tablet-600 gflop, 4gb RAM, 7 inch/720p screen

NX Console-1200 gflop, 8gb RAM, up to 1080p resolution

They will likely have spread out the launch of each device and could likely retail for about $249.99 give or take in 2016-2018.

I've already been through all that. It's not the unification of software infrastructure. The brass have already said it's a console.

The most likely event is that it's a tablet which works as a wiiU tablet, is standalone, works with android etc type games, and is a platform for their now mobile branch of games, and also works as a platform for using amiibo, cards, and anything else Nintendo has ideas about. The figure game is very big in Japan. There are tons of arcade machines that level up your figures. You can find them everywhere. They are making a portable version. It's not meant to compete with things like ipad or kindle either.

Console and handheld are out of the question. It is very unlikely as they have shown NX on a picture in conjuction with the 3ds and wiiu

This new QoL direction Nintendo is taking works really well on their bottom line. They are making tons of money...well, not really tons comparatively, but very very high margin profits. It only makes sense to start expanding the amiibo and card line in this direction with this device.

"My belief is that Nintendo is looking for another blue ocean"

Oh god no

Its become apparent that the twins own the casual game market today. So it makes sense if Nintendo gambles again and tries to get the smartphone crowd. I just don't think that it will involve wearable sensors. How is that going to work to tap into smartphones? You'll still be swiping away just without a screen. Not to mention holding the phone. It won't work with wearable devices unless you're wearing 10 rings or 2 gloves. Then it gets too complicated.

theprof00 said:
zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:
mindbogglingly dense.
I already made a huge thread about how it's a tablet.
Get over it, media!

I don't think NX is going to be a single device, more like a family of devices that share a common architecture, operating system, online infrastructure, account system, software library. Iwata has stated how they would like to mimic the strategy Apple has with iOS and Miyamoto has hinted at not necessarily needing multiple devices to play all Nintendo games, so such a strategy doesn't seem out of the question.

Perhaps a handheld midway between Xbox 360 & Wii U in terms of specs/performance, along with a console & tablet variants that are more powerful.

NX Handheld-300 gflop, 2gb RAM, 5 inch/540p screen

NX Tablet-600 gflop, 4gb RAM, 7 inch/720p screen

NX Console-1200 gflop, 8gb RAM, up to 1080p resolution

They will likely have spread out the launch of each device and could likely retail for about $249.99 give or take in 2016-2018.

I've already been through all that. It's not the unification of software infrastructure. The brass have already said it's a console.

The most likely event is that it's a tablet which works as a wiiU tablet, is standalone, works with android etc type games, and is a platform for their now mobile branch of games, and also works as a platform for using amiibo, cards, and anything else Nintendo has ideas about. The figure game is very big in Japan. There are tons of arcade machines that level up your figures. You can find them everywhere. They are making a portable version. It's not meant to compete with things like ipad or kindle either.

Console and handheld are out of the question. It is very unlikely as they have shown NX on a picture in conjuction with the 3ds and wiiu

This new QoL direction Nintendo is taking works really well on their bottom line. They are making tons of money...well, not really tons comparatively, but very very high margin profits. It only makes sense to start expanding the amiibo and card line in this direction with this device.

Yes I know, NX is hardware, I'm saying I don't believe NX is a single device, I think it's more likely to be a family of devices that allows one to choose a form factor based on their personal preferences. If u prefer playing at home, on a big screen TV, get the console variant. If u prefer a small device that fits in ur pocket/purse, get the portable variant. If u prefer a bigger handheld device, get the tablet variant.

Console/portable aren't out of the question at all, that picture just shows the devices that Nintendo's new membership program will support.

-NX family of devices

-Amiibo figurines/cards

-Mobile games/apps

-QoL products/services

-IP licensing (films/series)

I believe these lines of products/services will be Nintendo's focus going forward.