By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamers: You Are Not Forced to Hear Somebody Online

Tagged games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxrwEGs-Y-k

Pretty much sums of my thoughts about the recent Splatoon toxicity concerns.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

That's a horrible reason for a dev not to have voice chat in their multiplayer game.

I agree, if you don't want to hear some obnoxious person just mute them. It's a pretty simple concept that's been around for ages.

Stopped listening at "they have ripped voice chat out of Splatoon entirely."

The game never had voice chat in it. It is not a game designed with a feature in mind that later had that feature removed. It was designed, from the ground up, start to finish, with no voice chat in mind. They built a shooter around the lack of voice chat.

"Everyone else is doing it" isn't a reason to put something in your game. Challenging conventions is how unique experiences are made. Furthermore, throwing the word "options" around isn't a justification for adding features to games. I want the option to play this game in first-person with Oculus Rift, but the developers aren't obligated to support that feature in the name of "options" and the fact that they're not bending to the every whim and expectation of random nerds complaining on the internet does not mean they are behind the times.

I don't actually want that, I made it up to illustrate a point.

mute options are tough to program. far better to ommit voice altogether and spend your effort explaining why setteling for less is a good thing.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

Stopped listening at "they have ripped voice chat out of Splatoon entirely."

The game never had voice chat in it. It is not a game designed with a feature in mind that later had that feature removed. It was designed, from the ground up, start to finish, with no voice chat in mind. They built a shooter around the lack of voice chat.

"Everyone else is doing it" isn't a reason to put something in your game. Challenging conventions is how unique experiences are made. Furthermore, throwing the word "options" around isn't a justification for adding features to games. I want the option to play this game in first-person with Oculus Rift, but the developers aren't obligated to support that feature in the name of "options" and the fact that they're not bending to the every whim and expectation of random nerds complaining on the internet does not mean they are behind the times.

I don't actually want that, I made it up to illustrate a point.

So you don't think Nintendo is behind the times in terms of online?

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

I will say that not having voice options is nonsense... There are plenty of ways to include it while making it not be usable to 5 year olds. I don't use voice chat at all but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option to those that want to use it. They should have done it like MK/SSB at least

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

This is purely an issue of underage kids hearing bad stuff. If they didn't think kids were playing I doubt Nintendo would give a shit.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Most of the people I see complaining about a lack of voice chat in Nintendo games don't even play Nintendo games anyway. Makes for very silly arguments and threads.

super_etecoon said:
Most of the people I see complaining about a lack of voice chat in Nintendo games don't even play Nintendo games anyway. Makes for very silly arguments and threads.

of course we don't,..  we don't have to buy half finished games just to have the right to complain.