By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is still against annual franchises

Ka-pi96 said:
I think annual franchises can be good, providing the games are suitable for it of course. Stuff like Mario Kart really is better to just have one per console though, preferably with ocassional DLC tracks/karts/characters to keep it going through out the gen though.

Good idea, I would like if Nintendo regularly would provide additional stuff for Mario Kart. But I assume they are through with the DLC with the two packs they have.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Zelda and Pokemon are both annual franchises. I'd even say that Mario is, but then you'd be going into semantics. Hell, Zelda releases two games a year sometimes. Don't know what the guy is talking about.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong, I love that they are annual. I can't wait more than a year for my next Zelda/Mario/Pokemon fix.

Annual means yearly, and while you can say it for Pokemon with remakes, what do you talk about Zelda?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

spemanig said:
sc94597 said:

Oh I see. You consider, "Hyrule Warriors" a Zelda game, even though it doesn't have Legend of Zelda in the titile and doesn't play like a Zelda game.

There's no "considering." It's a Zelda game. There's no opinion there. Aonuma, the producer, considers it a Zelda game. It's a Zelda game. That's like saying "Pokken Tournament" isn't a Pokemon game because it doesn't have Pokemon in the title and doesn't play like a Pokemon game. Or that Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker isn't a Mario Game because it doesn't have Mario in the title and doesn't play like a Mario game. Give me a break.

If you say that, all Mario Kart games, Mario RPG games, Mario Golf, Doctor Mario, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong games and Smash Bros are Mario games. If you say that, you really can say Nintendo remakes Mario every minute.

But I have my difficulties. While they use characters/universe from other games, the games still function differently. If you do that Kingdom Heart are Final Fantasy games, and Super Smash bros Brawl is a Metal Gear Solid game.

Dulfite said:
Platina said:
Pokemon is annual... but I guess it technically isn't completely under Nintendo

We get a BRAND NEW Pokemon (main series) game every 2 or so years. Most of the games we get in the main series are either remakes or Version 3 of the same game (neither of which take nearly as much time or resources to make). If your just following brand new main games, though, it is by far NOT an annual series.

Well, I would slightly disagree. ORAS for example does add 3D and internet and changes many little details on the original. So I would count these as new games.

On the other hand, Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut includes the DLC and reworks the boss fights. While these changes make the game better, it doesn't really change the experience for players of the original.

sc94597 said:

Exactly, Nintendo doesn't milk their franchises as much as people think... with the exception of Pokémon. Remakes still count as new games. And lately Nintendo have been milking Zelda more than Mario. 

Around the Network

How many games are even annualized? Besides the sport games, I can only think of a few. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, probably Battlefield, and most likely Watch Dogs. There's not many franchises annualized.

I posted this in another thread before I realized this one existed. I'll add to it a bit at the end. :P

Recycle001 said:
Tachikoma said:
Perfect example of nintendos love for painting its problems as its advantages, this and the "we still dont like annual franchises" crap.

I partially agree with this. Maybe not annual, but biannual would be more reasonable. TBH I'd personally settle for twice per console generation(handheld or home), as long as they continue to be quality experiences I can replay at any time. A ton of modern games, especially the annual franchises, I play once and trade to a buddy or sell outright. The few I do decide to keep I find my self hardly replaying ever unless the mood strikes me and there's a game drought for things I'm interested in. 

A perfect example of this, over its lifespan, I bought and played somewhere over 100 PS3 games. Today I own around 15: TLOU, Deadspace 1-3, Borderlands 1&2, Two 'Tales of' games, Guided Fate Paradox, Mass Effect 2, Dungeon Siege 3, Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Sacred 2. Out of all of those, none of them are annual franchises. They just don't stand up to the test of time. All of the games I own for my PS3 havn't been touched in almost a year, with the exception of Borderlands 2 which I still play once a month or so with my wife on PC. 

My Gamecube on the other hand still get used, bare minium, weekly. I have less games for that console: Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Strikers, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Metroid Prime, Mario Power Tennis, Super Mario Sunshine, Four Swords, Twilight Princess, Mario Golf. I'm not a huge sports game fan, but even the sports themed games get played a lot with buddies. My wife and I love Mario Tennis because its not as complex as Smash or a normal sports game and we can just have fun with it. My wife loves Zelda games(me as well), so she even likes to play our Gamecube by herself in her free time.

The difference is, in my opinion, Nintendo franchises tend to be timeless masterworks crafted by a group of individuals who love what they do. The recent remake of Majora's Mask is a perfect example. A ton of good old fashion TLC went into the recreationtion of that game. Just as a quick example, they added a TON of easter eggs and throwbacks into that game that they just didn't have to. Honestly, it would have been easier if they didn't in the first place.

While I don't necessarily disagree that not having annual entries in their most popular franchises is a positive, I wouldn't go as far as to say its a problem either. As I stated before, annual releases might not necessarily be the answer, but multiple entries per generation would most definitely be a step in the right direction.

As far as the Wii U standing up to the test of time... I personally think it will. My Wii U library isn't huge, but one thing it has going for it is the endless replayability of most of the titles I own. Smash 4, W101, Hyrule Warriors, 3D World, Lego City UC, MK8, Wind Waker, and a few others, all quality games, all highly replayable. I could very easily see myself giving the Wii U the same love and attention that my Gamecube still gets to this day. 

A huge part of what makes Nintendo games so special, at least to me, is the bonding experience you get when playing with others. I found out my best friend won't quit playing a game unless he beats you, my wife adapts quick and applies your own strategies against you better than you could, my mother enjoys a good story, my buddies girlfriend is the quietest person in the world until you put a controller in her hand.

All of these things are what makes a console special to me. Nintendo does an excellent job of leveling the playing field and bringing people together. There isn't a single game on the console that I could play and walk away being mad that I did, nor is there a single game that I could beat today and play again tomorrow. These are the things that makes Nintendo who they are and I could tell from the moment I first held the gamepad and was surprised how light it was that I had something truly special.

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

good.

The only franchise that has been able to survive these annual releases(besides sports games) is CoD... And that is only because they went to a 3 year dev cycle.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Good. I only need one Mario Kart or one Smash Bros a gen. Nintendo is better off diversifying their lineup anyway. They can't afford to run franchises into the ground like certain other developers we can all name.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
Good. I only need one Mario Kart or one Smash Bros a gen. Nintendo is better off diversifying their lineup anyway. They can't afford to run franchises into the ground like certain other developers we can all name.

Problem is that they don't on wii u at least, what new, for instance what mascot has the WII U brought (yes I know splatoon is coming). It would also be a great thing if there where not that many 2d platformers on wii U it's getting a bit sad, since the phrase Nintendo only makes platformers is more accurate than on the twins there are only shooting games, diversity is kind a dead on wii u, less on 3ds. So nNintendo might be against annual franchises but they are defenitly against doing something new, which is something Sony, Microsoft, Ubi and EA still try once in a while. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar