By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is still against annual franchises

Kerotan said:
Samus Aran said:

Give me one example. Keep in mind: Mario Kart 8 is not the same as Super Mario 3D World which is not the same as New Super Mario Bros. U.

I guess you could make the claim for Pokémon, but Game Freak isn't owned by Nintendo. 

This generation: 

Pikmin: one game on the Wii U

2D Mario platformer: two games on the Wii U (one of which is a level creator, thus fundamentally different) and one on the 3DS

3D Mario platformer: one game on the Wii U and one on the 3DS.

Fire Emblem: two games on the 3DS (first one released in 2012, the second one will release in 2015).

Luigi's Mansion: one game on the 3DS.

Zelda: two games on the Wii U (one of which is a remake) and 3 on the 3DS (two of which are remakes).

Mario Kart: one game on the Wii U and one game on the 3DS.

Donkey Kong Country: one game on the Wii U and one game on the 3DS (a Wii port).

Mario Party: one game on the Wii U and one game on the 3DS.

Animal Crossing: one game on the 3DS.

Paper Mario: one game on the 3DS.

Mario & Luigi: one game on the 3DS.

Yoshi: one game on the Wii U and one game on the 3DS.

Xenoblade: one game on the Wii U and one game on the N3DS (Wii port).

Super Smash Bros.: one game on the Wii U and one game on the 3DS.

Star Fox: one game on the Wii U and one game on the 3DS (a remake).

pokemon, zelda and mario. yes many are different types of games or remakes but it's no different to the halo series having an RTS game or the MCC. 

Halo had one RTS, the rest are fps lol. It's clearly a different situation than Mario. Is Donkey Kong a Mario game now? Or Warioware?

Zelda and Mario aren't annualized either. You can't compare the different Mario franchises with each other like that.

Even with Pokémon there's usually a long wait before a new gen. And like I said, Game Freak is not Nintendo.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
vivster said:
I am also against things that I wouldn't be capable of anyway.

Like writing good posts, yeah. I've seen plenty of evidence for that.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

spemanig said:
sc94597 said:

Sure, it is a Zelda game, if we ignore its gameplay, if we ignore its title, if we ignore its developer, etc, etc. Can you provide a source where Aonuma said he considers it as a Zelda game? As for Pokken Tournament, I also agree with your statement, it isn't a Pokemon game. It is a Pokken game, something else. 

There is no source, just like there is no source where Aonuma said he considers OoT as a Zelda game. There's just literally every interview on Hyrule Warriors where he talks about it like it's a Zelda game. Where he talks about it the same way he talks about literally ever Zelda game.

You clearly misunderstood my statement on Pokken. It is a Pokemon game.

That's like saying Mario Golf is a Mario game because it has Mario in it...or something like Metroid Pinball is a Metroid game because it has Samus in it. It has nothing to do with their core franchise.

Samus Aran said:
Kerotan said:

pokemon, zelda and mario. yes many are different types of games or remakes but it's no different to the halo series having an RTS game or the MCC. 

Halo had one RTS, the rest are fps lol. It's clearly a different situation than Mario. Is Donkey Kong a Mario game now? Or Warioware?

Zelda and Mario aren't annualized either. You can't compare the different Mario franchises with each other like that.

Even with Pokémon there's usually a long wait before a new gen. And like I said, Game Freak is not Nintendo.

they are all in the mario universe. they milk it very well and that's not exactly a bad thing. they are smart enough to mix it up. 

pokemon is still publised and owned by them. 

and i'm not saying anualized. I'm saying lots of them get many per gen. 

Kerotan said:
Samus Aran said:

they are all in the mario universe. they milk it very well and that's not exactly a bad thing. they are smart enough to mix it up. 

pokemon is still publised and owned by them. 

and i'm not saying anualized. I'm saying lots of them get many per gen. 

There's more difference between Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World than every shooter in existence.

So you're really saying this is a Mario game? You could make a better case that this is a Metroid game lol (something only people who played this game with a keen eye will understand :p).

Is this also a Mario game?

Around the Network

Yet Mario and Zelda are released every year

SjOne said:
Yet Mario and Zelda are released every year

The argument against annualized franchises is generally that the gameplay is repetitive and changes little with each iteration.  Not like "OMG I hate that character.  Make sure his name isn't in any more titles." Because complaining about the mere presence of the same character in multiple games would be idiotic and arbitrary.

The only major Nintendo franchise that could really be called annualized is Pokemon.  And it's greatly diminished my interest in that franchise personally.

sc94597 said:

This image makes me smile every time I see it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Of course they're against annual franchises : they need at least 3 or 4 Mario games per year.

And yeah, I'm curious to see a year from now on in which they don't release a Pokemon game. That will no longer happen because it's so big that they desperately need it to stay profitable, exactly like Activision can't live without CoD or EA without FIFA. Don't they come giving lectures after that.

Platina said:
Pokemon is annual... but I guess it technically isn't completely under Nintendo

As Gamefreak is making a game for the competition (Tembo), it is to assume that they have a lot of decision-freedom for Pokemon, except to put it on the Nintendo-hardware.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]