By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer free online or a subscription service?

Which case are you?

I subscribed to a service... 40 29.20%

I subscribed to a service... 9 6.57%

I'm not subscribed to a ... 80 58.39%

I'm not subscribed to a ... 0 0%

Results. 8 5.84%

Total:137

I think the idea that a paid service is the best way to get a stable connection is just BS. Having said that I would prefer not having to pay for online multiplayer access. I mean think of it, you are buying the console, buying the game, paying for your internet and then still having to pay just to get the game you already paid for to go online. Daylight robbery if you ask me.

Having said that, being that PS+ costs just $50/year, I don't mind paying for it cause of all the free games and discounts. It has undeniable value. However I also feel that while its justifiable, its also an anti-consumer platform.

Ideally what would be perfect is if Sony/ms opens their platforms up and allow amazon, GameStop or whoever else is interested make their own store apps that gamers can install as they see fit. This will bolster competition and prices of games will drop faster.

Around the Network

Free. I have PS+, but only for the games (don't play online anyways on PS3, although I could even without PS+).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

PxlStorm said:
As I already stated several times before, I hate the subscription service. Most of the games I'd get from PS+ don't interest me and I don't want to pay 50€ more for a console every single year.

There are 72 games a year between the ps4 ps3 and vita. While it's only about 30 games a year for any given system depending on how many each month are cross buy that's still games of many varieties don't older some on plus the day it's first released on the system.

Though for me that's all a bonus. I got plus for the cloud saving after having 3 ps3 die on me.

Wonktonodi said:
PxlStorm said:
As I already stated several times before, I hate the subscription service. Most of the games I'd get from PS+ don't interest me and I don't want to pay 50€ more for a console every single year.

There are 72 games a year between the ps4 ps3 and vita. While it's only about 30 games a year for any given system depending on how many each month are cross buy that's still games of many varieties don't older some on plus the day it's first released on the system.

Though for me that's all a bonus. I got plus for the cloud saving after having 3 ps3 die on me.

He clearly doesn't care how many titles are given for free each year. Remember, it's easy to give away shit for free. I'm not saying those 72 games are bad, but I could see why people wouldn't be interested in them. And for the average gamer (people not on this site), these free games are basically worthless. The average gamer would certainly prefer a free service.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

I pay for PS+ for the games and discounts. Already paid for itself several times over. I think I've played online a few times, but looking to maybe find a game this year to give it another try.

Free online on PS3 added no value for me as used it few times and stopped after poor experiences.

Around the Network

Can we stop calling monthly PS+ games, free? If u pay $50/year for these games, they aren't free......

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I would prefer, like most people, to have free access. I don't regret my decision at all, I play a lot of games online. But the world would be a much better place if we all had great services like Xbox Live and PSN free of charge.

I enjoy the free online for Wii U, but there's not a whole lot of games to play online for Wii U. And the service is a bit lacking in features.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Wonktonodi said:

He clearly doesn't care how many titles are given for free each year. Remember, it's easy to give away shit for free. I'm not saying those 72 games are bad, but I could see why people wouldn't be interested in them. And for the average gamer (people not on this site), these free games are basically worthless. The average gamer would certainly prefer a free service.

The only thing clear is "he didn't like most the games"

It's easy to give away shit for free. It's hard to sell it to people year after year though. 

It's also easier to say you don't like something without knowing what it is or trying it. I've played many games I never would otherwise without getting then on plus.

As for your assessments on "average gamers" the average gamer doesn't even play on consoles do what's the point bringing then in? If your point was that most console gamers preferred to not pay for plus. That's true and considering that the number of people paying increased tremendously after the launch of the ps4. More people cared about online than the free games. I am in the minority of people who got the service at all and especially for my reasons, but I think it's more from people's lack of awareness than from the quality of the games.

zorg1000 said:
Can we stop calling monthly PS+ games, free? If u pay $50/year for these games, they aren't free......

They are free in a sense if you are dependent on MP anyways to play on PS4 

ohmylanta1003 said:
Wonktonodi said:

I don't like paying for something I know I will not like. I didn't buy a PS4 or Xbox ONE because most of their games are uninteresting for me (I don't like modern day shooters, especially not with a gamepad, and no action-adventures; both genres forming together the bulk of their games lineup), and the rest is coming out on PC with no extra fees attached. That's also why the Wii U was the only current gen console worth buying for me, no additional fees and I won't find the games on my pc if I like them.