By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - $60 Games are getting smaller while getting more and more DLC.....

RolStoppable said:
The money it takes to produce the same amount of content has increased significantly over the generations, so this is the logical consequence. There are still developers who manage to provide a fair amount of content for the money they charge, but getting that job done requires talent. A lot of the industry doesn't have that, so they opted to push in a direction where they can outspend the competition. That's why we are where we are.

You basically just equated the game industry to a bunch of talentless hacks who peddle graphics as a differeciator due to having no vision to expand in other ways.......which is an entire nother problem within itself.

That basically calls it the movie industry. And if it is the movie industry we know that movie theatre costs have been the same for decades now even though the movies they show budgets have skyrocketed.....yet they are making record profits constantly and movies are the same length and or longer. Why? because they are on the same premise that smartphone apps are. 

If you sweeten the package instead of increasing price adjacent to what you are offering you encourage more and more sales. Price is always barrier to entry so even if you are only making a penny off of each thing sold but you only charge 2 cents, you are much more likely to get 10million sold, as opposed to charging 5 bucks where you only sell about 10,000. I am not saying game prices should drop but if they were packing these games with more content(and entertainment) you would have less trade ins and encourage more people to buy it simply because it is a better deal overall.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:

You basically just equated the game industry to a bunch of talentless hacks who peddle graphics as a differeciator due to having no vision to expand in other ways.......which is an entire nother problem within itself.

That basically calls it the movie industry. And if it is the movie industry we know that movie theatre costs have been the same for decades now even though the movies they show budgets have skyrocketed.....yet they are making record profits constantly and movies are the same length and or longer. Why? because they are on the same premise that smartphone apps are. 

If you sweeten the package instead of increasing price adjacent to what you are offering you encourage more and more sales. Price is always barrier to entry so even if you are only making a penny off of each thing sold but you only charge 2 cents, you are much more likely to get 10million sold, as opposed to charging 5 bucks where you only sell about 10,000. I am not saying game prices should drop but if they were packing these games with more content(and entertainment) you would have less trade ins and encourage more people to buy it simply because it is a better deal overall.

I don't know where you live, but 20 years ago a movie ticket cost me 6 bucks.  Today it costs me 16.50.  Matinees cost me 11.  The prices have gone up just like movie budgets have.  May not be on the same scale, but they have increased.  Games on the other hand have seen increased budgets and steady base costs.

JazzB1987 said:
ktay95 said:

You dont think thats the issue then??

I agree with you  thats exactly the issue.

Instead of pumping billions into making a single rock have 1m instead of 750k polygons which is just a waste of money they could save millions by NOT focusing on nonsense.

I dont mind if they make realistic looking games as long as thats just a side effect of the game production. Focusing in visuals is just stupid and when you have several teams in different countries working on the same game without real coordination and 50% of the people idling because they have nothing to do then you get games that NEED to sell 10m copies at 60 bucks or they are a failure....
(TombRaider 2013 was a failure until the new gen versions hit.  3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in its first month! How can you fail by selling 3.4m copies?!?!?!)

Meanwhile japanese games (obviously not looking as good for the most part) but still being fun in the game department can sell 200k and the studio survives....

I remember one of the best looking games  FARCRY1 on PC was made by what? 10 people? (its not the best game obviously but it shows if you  have PROS that work coordinated you dont need to waste so much money to achive similar results as others with 10x the workworce,)

OMG This^

Greatness Awaits

Neodegenerate said:
forevercloud3000 said:

I don't know where you live, but 20 years ago a movie ticket cost me 6 bucks.  Today it costs me 16.50.  Matinees cost me 11.  The prices have gone up just like movie budgets have.  May not be on the same scale, but they have increased.  Games on the other hand have seen increased budgets and steady base costs.

They are still $6 at most theatres here in VA. Regardless,the price hike of movie tickets in no way is in perportion to how high movie production costs have become. We are talking costing 10x as much now and that is low balling. The price hike of tickets is more in line with regular dollar inflation.

Greatness Awaits

Game prices went $50-$60 during NES and SNES era, $40-$50 in PS1 ($50-$60 on N64), $50 on PS2/XBX/GCN era, and $60 in PS3/360 era.

Yet, what was the cheapest console library I have ever owned? PS3 easily. The number of sub $20 or even sub $10 games I own for that system is staggering. My average price of entry even buying several $60 games last generation was roughly ~$25. Now, outside of sports games in 8 and 16 bit era most tiles held at $50 for years and why I owned so many fewer titles and sharing games was a big deal with friends (you get Earthbound, you get Chrono Trigger, I'll get Super Metroid).

Also, game length is nothing new, many old games could be beaten in a sitting if the player was good enough. Issue was back then games were hard to often artificially inflate length (one hit kills, limited lives, brutal check points, or insane amount of grinding, etc.)

Around the Network

Wow and you notice that now?

forevercloud3000 said:
ktay95 said:
... I just bought Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. $40 for 1000+ hours, seems like Japans most hated still know how its done =P

I am beginning to feel like Japan is the only country that knows the true value of the dollar when it comes to games :P

Portable games are usually well worth their weight in gold, more so than console games.

This.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Euphoria14 said:
Arcturus said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Pre 2000s- Games like FFVII are everywhere, filled to the brim with content for a standard price (I think it was $40 then) You had your story which was about 40 hrs, your side stories, another 20, your distractions and unlockables, an extra 20hrs give or take your dedication. We had games like Crash bandicoot which offered levels upon levels of challenge and just when you thought you beat the game.........BAM unlocked a whole new area to play, probably put in about 80hrs in to this game too.

You're remembering a few Pre 2000s games that were lengthy, but you're forgetting that there were plenty of games, especially in the NES and SNES era, that could be finished in an hour or two. And these games were expensive too, some of them costing $70+ in 1990. That would be like spending $120 today for a single game.

This.

People constantly complaining about game length obviously have not been gamers back in the 80's and 90's.

We talk basically about quality here. Back then and today we shouldn't fund bad games by buying them, especially not at full price. Back then people didn't buy that much first day. we should get back to it. No longer day 1 purchases, we should wait until we know if a game is worth it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Neodegenerate said:
Games not changing in price despite production costs going up over the years immediately kills this argument for me. DLC is a necessary evil to keep the profits flowing and the base price low for a lot of these companies/studios.

So... you basically say I should fund mismanagement then?

I used to buy Mega Drive games for over 100 dollareedoos, so i'll never understand modern pricing complaints.