By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - $60 Games are getting smaller while getting more and more DLC.....

platformmaster918 said:

yeah and I could play through the Order 500 times like you play a MP map 500 times so I guess any amount of content is good.

If given the choice, what would you prefer, though? Playing The Order 500 times or playing a MP map 500 times?

Around the Network
celador said:
Older games were far shorter content wise than modern games on average.

They only felt longer because many prolonged the experience because of certain design choices, like cheap deaths

Exactly and games back then were more expensive than they are now.

Wright said:
platformmaster918 said:

yeah and I could play through the Order 500 times like you play a MP map 500 times so I guess any amount of content is good.

If given the choice, what would you prefer, though? Playing The Order 500 times or playing a MP map 500 times?

I usually get bored with MP games after I play each map a few times.  Meanwhile SP games I replay at least annually if I like them.  The answer would depend on if I like it or not so I guess I'll know at midnight.  I've never gotten many hours of entertainment out of MP games.  If all games only had that I would quit gaming.  MP is lifeless, pointless.  It's like comparing daytime TV (always more content but it all pretty much ends up the same trash) vs. watching a great film (only 2-3 hours but can be endlessly enjoyed with repeat viewings)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD remix gets it right! About 150 hours of content right there (and I don't think it was even full price)

You may say KH doesn't count.... But it's so so good

I don't just want to long games though. Stories aren't always best stretched out forever. Dragon Age Inquistion may take ages to play, but there's so much busywork I've somewhat lost my way

It's also very simple. Don't buy short games if you don't want short games. Don't buy DLC if you don't want DLC

Arcturus said:

You're remembering a few Pre 2000s games that were lengthy, but you're forgetting that there were plenty of games, especially in the NES and SNES era, that could be finished in an hour or two. And these games were expensive too, some of them costing $70+ in 1990. That would be like spending $120 today for a single game.

He surelly doesn't remember the pre-2000 times or simply didn't played game in that time. Most titles had 1 or 2 hours before the memory cards and were just painfully hard so you had to replay most sections several times before passing through so they wouldn't look short.

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:

I usually get bored with MP games after I play each map a few times.  Meanwhile SP games I replay at least annually if I like them.  The answer would depend on if I like it or not so I guess I'll know at midnight.  I've never gotten many hours of entertainment out of MP games.  If all games only had that I would quit gaming.  MP is lifeless, pointless.  It's like comparing daytime TV (always more content but it all pretty much ends up the same trash) vs. watching a great film (only 2-3 hours but can be endlessly enjoyed with repeat viewings)

What I get from your answer is that you're expecting to live more than 500 years, replaying The Order within each year passing. :D

Wright said:
platformmaster918 said:

What I get from your answer is that you're expecting to live more than 500 years, replaying The Order within each year passing. :D

well I'm never going to live long enough to play a MP game that long because I simply don't play them more than a few hours.  I'd get closer to the 500 hours in the Order lol.  Also the shortness has been overexaggerated so it's closer to 10 hours than 5.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Interesting. Xenoblade Chronicles X and The Legend of Zelda Wii U look set to offer some of Nintendo's (and gaming's) biggest experiences of all time. Pretty sure Nintendo is an exception to this trend, for the most part.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

At least Nintendo gives the quality.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

meh my mom spent 100 bucks on most my snes and genesis games and those games were short as as fuck