By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OUYA gets Unreal engine 4 support, Wii U is still waiting.

They'll put UE4 on my microwave before they put it on the Wii U.

...Why the Ouya though?

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

I just came across this article http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252932/unreal-engine-4-support-for-ouya-now-available/

Anyone remembers the following quote: 

When someone asks if Unreal Engine 4 will work on Wii U, Epic co-founder Mark Rein bursts out laughing. "No," he says.

But why am I comparing? OUYA's success is impossible to ignore. 

That's they funny thing about an engine, all it needs especially when it's proprietary, is to be coded for it to work on the machine.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

psh. figures. Not that it matters though. Nintendo should be licensing the engine behind SM3DW to their developer partners. Wii U needs more beautiful games like 3DW.

iTechHeads said:
UE4 on PS4/XB1/PC =/= UE4 on Ouya/Mobile

This. Isnt U4 on Ouya a straight Android port?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Easy

old skool

Around the Network

Call me crazy (you might), but I have a good reason for this.

Epic Games is attempting to sabotage Nintendo by supporting the Ouya. They realize that the Ouya's real big draw is emulation, with only 8 GB of storage, it can't store more than a few pirated PS1 games. Final Fantasy 7 alone would take up an eighth of that. This means the Ouya is best for fans of the N64 and older consoles. And since the Genesis library consisted of bad ports, licensed games, and Sega games that have been re-released approximately once per year since mid-2008, this means that Epic Games must be trying to target the retro Nintendo market.

"But Salnax," you cry, "how could Unreal Engine 4 support possibly help the Ouya do that? There's no way anybody would make a game for the Ouya that actually requires an engine like this! And SNES and N64 games are better played on a computer emulator with a keyboard and/or controller that's meant for human use!" Excellent points. But you see, there is a secret to the Unreal Engine 4.

The Unreal Engine 4 did not get its name through mere chance. The number 4 is a key part of Epic Games's plans. Note that the word "Epic" has four letters. The engine was toyed with mostly by Tim Sweeny, the technical director at Epic Games, until mid-2008... about four years after Unreal Engine 3 came out. It then took four years for Unreal Engine 4 to become available to the general public. The engine was designed with the PlayStation 4 in mind. One of the first games released using Unreal Engine 4 is the Xbone exclusive D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. Not only is there a "4" in the title, but the letter "D" is the fourth letter of the alphabet!

But it gets worse. Remember how D4 and the Gears of War series (which has had four installments) were Xbox exclusives? Xbox (another four letter word!) is owned by Microsoft. Microsoft was founded on the fourth day of April in 1975. Not only is April the fourth month of the year, but this means that Microsoft's 40th anniversary, at which point it will be four decades old, is coming up soon. And we know Microsoft and Epic Games are connected, since not only did Microsoft publish a some of their games, but Epic Games was created in 1991. This is 16 years after Microsoft. 16 is what happens when you add four groups of four. Not to mention, the Xbox 360? It came out four years after the original Xbox. Well, technically a few days more than that, but I suspect they were just trying to throw me off.

What is going to happen around April 4th this year? We know that around March/April, certain games are being released. But which ones are important? Could this be the day the fourth episode of Resident Evil: Revelations is released? Will a game like Battlefield: Hardline be delayed to this date, four months after it should have been launched? Could there be something involving a Nintendo game like Mario Party, which has four players competing while one other person plays as Bowser? The last one is tempting at a glance, since the One player controlling Bowser would connect to the Xbox One, especially since like Bowser, the Xbox is likely to overheat. Then I realized that this was a red herring; this problem was solved in summer 2010, when the slim versions of the 360 were released. You know, the 250 GB model and the 4 GB model.

The 4 GB Model!

I knew I was onto something, but needed to review something else: the number. The number four is filled with mountains of connotations, most of them sinister. It is almost as if humanity is conditioned to reject the number by instinct. There are the four horsemen of the apocalypse in the Bible, which seem to match up with stories from across Asia associating the number with Death in Particular. In the Harry Potter series, the main character lives on #4 Privet Drive, where he is regularly abused for years on end. Warhammer 40K, besides the obvious number "4" with another four 0's at the end, features four Chaos gods, while the alien Eldars only had three gods before creating a fourth one, whose domain was death. In Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Gaang was doing pretty well three three human members (Aang, Katara, and Sokka), things started going badly after a fourth (Toph) joined the party, and things were pulled together starting with the fifth member joining (Zuko). In Ocarina of Time, the fourth dungeon you visit in the bad future is the Shadow Temple, which is located under a cemetary, has loads of scythes flying around, is largely made of human remains, contains many undead enemies, has four floors, and requires you to cross a river via ferry to the deadly boss fight. The fourth dungeon overall is the Forest Temple, the other undead-themed dungeon in the game, features the four Poe Sisters, the last of whom splits into four parts during her fight. Speaking of quartets of undead sisters, the fourth dungeon in Phantom Hourglass, the Ghost Ship, features four Cubus Sisters as the boss.

I think I figured it out.

On April 4, 2015, Epic Games will buy the Ouya brand, effectively killing the company, and will cooperate with Microsoft to create Gears of War 4 as an Ouya exclusive! The Ouya will then be re-designed as a dedicated handheld gaming system, killing off the New Nintendo 3DS, the fourth version of Nintendo's 8th gen handheld! This will force Nintendo to go third party, at which point they will release Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D for the Ouya along with a new Four Swords title. With Nintendo out of the way, every Xbox One in the world will activate the "Milo" procedure, which will take control of most of the world's computer and network systems to prevent all competing hardware from working. Epic Games will then take Microsoft by surprise, holding a coup in order to take leadership of the company, and by extension, much of the world.

The main resistance will come from Japan, where nobody has ever actually bought an Xbox One, protecting them from the brunt of the Milo takeover. Sony will then ally themselves with the remnants of Nintendo and even Samsung to reverse-engineer the handheld Ouya in order to stage a counter-attack. Meanwhile, Apple fanatics will be planning an uprising in Starbucks across the globe, while the Followers of Gaben will establish a base in Greenland, where custom-made rigs were free from worries of overheating.

The FOUR factions will collide in Montreal in 2019, after Ubisoft employees stage a protest against making two main series Assassin's Creed games in a single year for the fifth year in a row instead of focusing on a single higher quality product. When Xbots get detached to silence the protest, they are ambushed by Greater Sony Alliance (GSA) and Order of Gaben (OoG), which have united to defeat the Milo Menace. The Apple fanatics show up a few days later, claiming that they were ahead of the curve the whole time.

The following battle lasts for six weeks and two days, encompassing much of North America, claiming countless lives, and causing the commute in the NYC region to take even longer than usual. This culminates in a duel atop a mountain somewhere in the Appalachians, where Epic Ultima Milo, armed with a chainsaw gun, faces off against Lord Gaben (wearing power armor), the Ressurected Norio Ohga (armed with a katana forged from the blood of fallen enemies), and the still-dead Steve Jobs (He isn't coming back from the dead for this kind of ****). The Forces of Light fight long and hard, but Epic Ultima Milo is too much to handle. Realizing that the threat was too great, Gaben realized that he had to take every step possible to defeat the Epic Empire. Joining forces with Norio Ohga, he combined their life energies to create the only weapon that could defeat a Milo powered by Unreal Engine 4: the Source-Powered Golden Warrior. Wielding a blade forged from the energy given by all the faithful, the Golden Warrior slew Epic Ultima Milo, but Gaben, the undead CEO of a Japanese electronics company, and the state of Vermont were all destroyed in the process.

When the dust over the crater cleared, the few survivors saw something in the very center. Where the combined energies of the world's titans had collided, they had left something behind. With this new treasure in the hands of Humanity, a new future could be created, where nobody's hardware of choice when playing vidya gamez would be held against them.

And so, on November 11 of 2019, 101 years after another Great War had ended, it was finally confirmed.

...or the gaming industry could just be a weird place where people and companies make strange decisions.

But that would be crazy.

Love and tolerate.

torok said:
UE4 gives as much support to the Wii U as the general public does: zero. This is a 2 horses race since Nov 2013.

So the general public gives a lot of support for Ouya?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Developers are able to use Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U if they would like to, its just that Epic is not going to put any of their games on Wii U... ( http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/epic_games_developers_can_use_unreal_engine_4_for_wii_u_titles )

Do we really have to make every mundane news article as sensationalist as possible?

If the Wii U did not have the name "Nintendo" on it, then there would be UE4 support since UE4 released.

Nintendo is cursed.

That's just silly, my phone dances circles around the Ouya.