By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors Stands As One Of Koei Tecmos Most Successful Games

Ka-pi96 said:

But those that do, care very much! Only a couple entries of Dynasty Warriors have ever sold over 1m, yet it's still up to the 8th iteration and even has some spin offs of its own. It's making them some good money. Why risk going for something completely different when they are pretty much guaranteed a profit with what they've been doing?

Besides, it isn't just the Zelda ones that sell better, other licensed properties such as One Piece sell better than the regular Dynasty Warriors games as well. But that's the point of making a game using an exisiting ip like that, no? Spend a little extra to make it but make up for it with increased sales.

Exactly. Licensed properties are selling. There are hot licenses that people want. Tecmo needs a hot IP for themselves, thats all i'm saying. Tecmo just maintains "ok" status. This is why I understand why they throw their money at DOA or Ninja Gaiden. Licensed games aside outside of Japan that seems to be there they put the commercial dollars into. Youtube star Swoozie also used to be a pro DOA star and he gives a lot of internet publicity to the game even though hes more about social commentary than gaming these days.

They need to pay Maximilian and Swoozie to hype their games up. Maximilian is a great hype man and Swoozie (outside of getting millions of views) had a giveaway for the last DOA game on the PS3 and 360. 

Around the Network

I'm probably going against the current here but I bet it's because of the zelda paint over it

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

is a fun, easy to play game and musou worked very well with zelda.
also, nintendo touch/quality control let it to became the best evaluted musou game.
and also, zelda universe opened musou doors for hoso who never played a musou before.
win-win.

know im getting musou games, if the universe of the game appeals me.
star wars, avatar(not the movie, the animated serie), fire emblem, pokemon, kingdom hearts, or even sonic.

Areym said:

I'm probably going against the current here but I bet it's because of the zelda paint over it

I dont think anybody disagrees with you. 

Doesn't stop it from being different though (and good going by alot of people whoo played the game).

Same argument can be said with DQ:Heroes and One Piece PW :0

Key word being in the US lol this was always going to happen. dynasty warriors hasn't been popular in the west since forever. dynasty warriors has always been about the japanese sales.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
while they're at it, just localize Fatal Frame plz

I can get behind this.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
while they're at it, just localize Fatal Frame plz

I can get behind this.

needs to happen :(

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

it is just a big nice game.
well deserved all sales!

Switch!!!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
RenCutypoison said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RenCutypoison said:

That's a kinda sad statement though

Well this is good publicity for Dynasty Warriors on a Nintendo console now, regardless. Tecmo needs to broaden their image and delve into a new genre. Their problem is that they are effectively stuck in the 90's which is why they (and companies like them) generally only sell ok.

But if they were to reinvent themselves they may loose their last niche, while they are able to keep making games and getting praise from their fans.

Also Gundam, Hyrule and One Piece are nice in that they tried to work with new elements while keeping their niche, and may be the first step towards change.

If Dynasty Warriors sold better with Nintendo characters it is most definitely an image problem. Few people care about the subject matter od Dysnasty Warriors. 

This thread is talking about US sales. The game has done amazing in the USA. But poorly in Japan.

For example. In The US, Hyrule Warriors is the fastest selling "Musou" game. 

In Japan, it's the worst selling musou game with only ~130k sales. Pretty much every big Musou game in Japan will sell over 500k with the more popular ones exceeding 1 million. 

With this game it was always going to happen. With other games which are usually based off either Asian history or characters will always do better in Japan due to the lack of appeal outside the region. Koei need to find that game where they appeal to both markets in the same way that Dynasty Warriors 3,4 and 5 did on the PS2. 

It won't beat the games that have strong worldwide sales with just US sales. The success of Pirate Warriors in japan is still better than Hyrule Warriors in NA.