By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors Stands As One Of Koei Tecmos Most Successful Games

Its pretty sad that it takes Nintendo for that to happen, but I am glad and hopeful for them. If Nintendo character skins is what it takes to sell better, I suggest they reestablish their marketabkle image.I just want Ninja Gaiden to resurface with the style of Itagaki once more for the next gen. ::Crosses fingers::

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
Wonder if it has anything to do with Zelda.

Definitely.

Makes a lot of sense. Zelda is much more popular in the US than Chinese history.

That's a kinda sad statement though

Farsala said:
tbone51 said:
SjOne said:
tbone51 said:
SjOne said:

Thing is, SW wise being released on a popular home console vs a popular handheld in the US makes a big difference.

DQVII was very late in PS life, but DQVIII shows potential fans on PS. Though its been 10+ years...

True, i was just getting at the fact that here in the states HW almost outsold every DQ here. That said it be pretty amazing if a Spin off outsold the original games (DQ:Heross vs DQ RPG).

Only a very few franchises do this overall, Persona and Mario Kart (compared to Mario 3D games) are examples

RenCutypoison said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Definitely.

Makes a lot of sense. Zelda is much more popular in the US than Chinese history.

Well this is good publicity for Dynasty Warriors on a Nintendo console now, regardless. Tecmo needs to broaden their image and delve into a new genre. Their problem is that they are effectively stuck in the 90's which is why they (and companies like them) generally only sell ok.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
RenCutypoison said:

Well this is good publicity for Dynasty Warriors on a Nintendo console now, regardless. Tecmo needs to broaden their image and delve into a new genre. Their problem is that they are effectively stuck in the 90's which is why they (and companies like them) generally only sell ok.

But if they were to reinvent themselves they may loose their last niche, while they are able to keep making games and getting praise from their fans.

Also Gundam, Hyrule and One Piece are nice in that they tried to work with new elements while keeping their niche, and may be the first step towards change.

Around the Network

We're seeing new IP such as Toukiden from Koei which is coming to PS4/Vita shortly. Koei are working on re-imagining old IP's such as Bladestorm and Deception 4, both of which will be again launching shortly this year.

Musou is still Koei's best selling games and so collaborations with other IP's such as One Piece, Zelda and now Dragon Quest is helping the Musou genre remain unique as well as increasing sales per game. Koei don't just rely on one Dynasty Warriors anymore, there are a number of Musou titles being launched in order for Koei to see successful sales figures. Koei confirmed that they intend to strengthen current IP's through expansion of series titles (such as Dynasty Warriors), they're also looking at introducing new IP's (such as toukiden), and they're interested in collaborating with more IP's and we may see a big western title musou collab from Koei as they hinted at this recently. 

Thats nice, but more people should be getting DW8. Its really good.

Well, I can't say that I'm surpised by that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Jabbamk1 said:
Boutros said:
Jabbamk1 said:
Ruler said:

Neogaf huh? And what data is this gaf member using? its vgchartz

Love the hypocrisy of gaming media, vgchartz is not reliable source but gaf member using vgchartz database is.

I'm using NPD. 

This data isn't on Chartz. I don't use data from Chartz. Get your facts right before posting. 

NeoGAF are still hypocrites for putting so much fate in NPD but altogether damning VGC for being less accurate even though they're both just extrapolated estimates of known samples.

Are you honestly saying that VGChartz is just as accurate as NPD, GFK or other market research organisations. I think you forget how quickly the admins on here change the numbers to reflect NPD and GFK numbers once official announcements or leaks are made. I think that shows who the market leaders are for video game tracking. 

Sure, I can agree that NPD is not 100.00% accurate. But it's as accurate as we'll get and is used by manufactuers like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to report on sell through numbers. 

This site is just made up estimates based on extrapolation. Sure it gives a general overview but it's not exactly accurate. Look at the PS4 for example, as far as i'm aware sales were over 19.5m before the end of the year yet they had to adjust it down once Sony announced 18.5m. At least with NPD we know for a fact that more than 90% of the data is hard data. 

As I said, not sure why I use this site as everyone here seems to think VGChartz is 100% accurate. I like your COMG thread btw, really well done on the work and effort you put into that. I really appreciate it. 

Of course I'm not which is why I said "damning VGC for being less accurate" lol

And thanks!

RenCutypoison said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RenCutypoison said:

But if they were to reinvent themselves they may loose their last niche, while they are able to keep making games and getting praise from their fans.

Also Gundam, Hyrule and One Piece are nice in that they tried to work with new elements while keeping their niche, and may be the first step towards change.

If Dynasty Warriors sold better with Nintendo characters it is most definitely an image problem. Few people care about the subject matter od Dysnasty Warriors.