By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the PS3 have the most diversity of any console ever?

When a console is almost dead, people finally start to get a consensus on how good it was.
On the topic: I agree and it has by far more diversity than its rivals for the time that focused on more mainstream gaming.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
spemanig said:

Dark Souls and Valkiria Chronicles aren't JRPGs. Dungeon Crawler and SRPG respectively.

EDIT: Also, The Last of Us is Action Adventure, not just Adventure.

They are JRPG's regardless of whatever subgenre you want to call them. They are rpg's made by a japanese dev.

Back to topic, PS consoles generally have the most diversity in games.

More variety doesnt mean greater games people, and nintendo does have alot of variety in my opinion ,from dark gritty metroid, to fighting action game like super smash bros, to an epic medieval quest like legend of zelda and a huuuuge adventure as xenoblade.

No, nothing compares to the breadth of PS2.

Western devs were on the rise, but generally not stuck in their ways and were willing to take more risks. Meanwhile, Japan was still very strong and producing lots of high quality and diverse games, from Kingdom Hearts to Katamari.

I don't think another gaming console's library will ever match the PS2, which is pretty sad really.

Around the Network
Wright said:

Yeah, but it's lacking semi-naked girls volleyball beach games, like Dead or Alive Xtreme 2!

Perfectly complemented by guys in skimpy swimsuits and tight bodysuits like in Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate.

Ka-pi96 said:
RenCutypoison said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That doesn't stop them from being JRPGs though...

Except T-RPG is an actual genre, while J-RPG is mostly some kind of brand, as there is no J-RPG typical gameplay. We are supposedly talking genre.

JRPG is definitely a genre. It isn't just typical gameplay that makes a genre, there is also the style of the game and JRPGs are often of a similar style. Whether that be the story, the graphics or indeed the gameplay.

Genre is about gameplay. Theme is about universe. Genres have actual classifications made by theoricians.

Is there any genre you can think that is not defined by its gameplay ?

not trolling but hasn't SNES always had the reputation of most diverse gaming library :)

This is why I never was worried about ps4 first year in term of library. I'm sure Sony will deliver again.

As some others have mentioned, the PS1 or PS2 have far larger libraries with a wider variety of titles.

Japanese games in general and Western oddities were on the decline for the PS360 generation. HD game development made it too costly to release weird titles like Pepsiman or that truck-decorating game. The market also went more global with fewer region-specific titles.

Many of the multiplatform PS3 games from the first half of the generation were also inferior to the 360 version with gimped or missing online, worse framerates, no trophies, etc. Luckily, the system eventually found its feet, but we are talking variety, not quality in this thread.