By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the PS3 have the most diversity of any console ever?

For me it was the PSone library, a lot of puzzle games like Kula world, a lot of JRPG's, few FPS but it had Medal of honour underground that was amazing back then, a lot of action games like Duke Nukem/tomb raider, the best ps exclusive racer with CTR, some of the best horror games with Resident evil/Silent Hilll/dino crisis, a lot of racers, when Need for speed/ridge racer meant something (and a lot of kart racers aswell), a lot of party games like crash bash, a lot of space games like Colony wars, A lot of theme park games and strategy games like Hogs of war, a lot of flight games like Ace combat...

It was not just diverse it was also full with quaility titles and a lot of them. Should make a list of all PSone games and i will be blown away, so many niche ones like Fear effect aswell..

Edit:

Hmmm at a second thought I don't get how PS3 is that more diverse?  It has the most FPS games in that regard it wins but if I think about flight games and especially quality good ones the PS3 is lacking them, the amound of kart racers is pretty low aswell, and while the platform games are not bad and Ratchet and clank is fun it miss the quality of the ones like Crash/Spyro/Tombal....,   Ps3 has any space game?  

It is maybe also not fair because Ps One had between 2000-2500 games while PS3 not reached 1.000 games yet?

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:

For me it was the PSone library, a lot of puzzle games like Kula world, a lot of JRPG's, few FPS but it had Medal of honour underground that was amazing back then, a lot of action games like Duke Nukem/tomb raider, the best ps exclusive racer with CTR, some of the best horror games with Resident evil/Silent Hilll/dino crisis, a lot of racers, when Need for speed/ridge racer meant something (and a lot of kart racers aswell), a lot of party games like crash bash, a lot of space games like Colony wars, A lot of theme park games and strategy games like Hogs of war, a lot of flight games like Ace combat...

It was not just diverse it was also full with quaility titles and a lot of them. Should make a list of all PSone games and i will be blown away, so many niche ones like Fear effect aswell..

Edit:

Hmmm at a second thought I don't get how PS3 is that more diverse?  It has the most FPS games in that regard it wins but if I think about flight games and especially quality good ones the PS3 is lacking them, the amound of kart racers is pretty low aswell, and while the platform games are not bad and Ratchet and clank is fun it miss the quality of the ones like Crash/Spyro/Tombal....,   Ps3 has any space game?  

It is maybe also not fair because Ps One had between 2000-2500 games while PS3 not reached 1.000 games yet?

It's not it's just that some people on here weren't gaming then.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Edit:

It's not it's just that some people on here weren't gaming then.

this is exactly what I think is happening here too.  PS1 had so many niche games it is insane.  This is partially because games were much cheaper to make back then.  Most people here really have no idea, if you include Japanese only games it's not even close.  

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Lostplanet22 said:

Edit:

When you think about it, the PS3 pretty much has all bases covered. It does have quite a few decent kart racers - LittleBigPlanet, Modnation, Sonic, etc. etc. not as much as the PS1 but it does. And platformers are pretty much a dead genre, so the fact the PS3 even has a few quality ones is pretty amazing. The 360 doesn't even have one really.

The biggest genres today are action adventure, racing, FPS, and WRPGs and the PS3 has those in spades.

If you factor the retrocompatible Ps3 model which gives you access to Ps2 and Ps1 games, well, I don't see why anyone would disagree :P