By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the PS3 have the most diversity of any console ever?

foodfather said:
Perhaps, but since its missing the best FPS (Halo) and best JRPG( Lost Odyssey) Best racer (Forza), I'd say 360 gets my vote for quantity and quality...

The 360 would actually win for me if Banjo Threeie had been made instead of Nuts and Bolts and they had another action adventure game.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
vfguy said:
As some others have mentioned, the PS1 or PS2 have far larger libraries with a wider variety of titles.

Japanese games in general and Western oddities were on the decline for the PS360 generation. HD game development made it too costly to release weird titles like Pepsiman or that truck-decorating game. The market also went more global with fewer region-specific titles.

Many of the multiplatform PS3 games from the first half of the generation were also inferior to the 360 version with gimped or missing online, worse framerates, no trophies, etc. Luckily, the system eventually found its feet, but we are talking variety, not quality in this thread.

Actually surprisingly the PS2 lacked a lot of western type games, despite its dominance. The PS2 would not nearly be as successful today because of its Japanese influence.

GTA, Call of Duty, Baldur's Gate, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed,  God of War, FIFA, MADDEN, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Eye Toy, Buzz, The Getaway, Guitar Hero, Singstar, SOCOM, Crash Bandicoot, Star Wars Battlefront.

What Western gaming exactly was absent from the PS2? Many Western games were huge drivers of hardware sales in the West. It's just that the decline of Japanese gaming just makes them even more significant in the current market, but they were pretty much always present and correct on the PS2.

This just merely emphasises more so how the PS3 does not have a more diverse lineup than the PS2.

It does pale in comparison to the PS3 and Xbox 360 however. As great as the PS2 was it was a product of its time really. With first person shooters and WRPGs now some of the most popular genres it may not have had the appeal it does today. Even with the PS4, it's most popular games are shooters (Battlefield 4, Killzone 4, Call of Duty series, Destiny, etc. etc.).

97alexk said:

More variety doesnt mean greater games people, and nintendo does have alot of variety in my opinion ,from dark gritty metroid, to fighting action game like super smash bros, to an epic medieval quest like legend of zelda and a huuuuge adventure as xenoblade.

This... Nintendo have tons of variety and im not just talking their own game franchises ,which cover multiple genres. Games like Wonderful 101, Madworld, Bayonetta 2, Zombi U etc all help diversify a gaming library.

foodfather said:
Perhaps, but since its missing the best FPS (Halo) and best JRPG( Lost Odyssey) Best racer (Forza), I'd say 360 gets my vote for quantity and quality...

While I agree with you that those 3 games are loaded with quality (objectively speaking probably the best in their genres for 7th gen) but PS3 had those genres covered with strong entries as well. FPS (Killzone 2), JRPG (Ni no Kuni, Persona 5 will probably end up as PS3's best JRPG though) and racer (Gran Turismo). 3 games don't make a highly varied library alone.

And what about the best survival horror (The Last of Us), best stealth (Metal Gear Solid 4), best tactical RPG (Valkyria Chronicles), best platformer between PS3 and 360 at least (Ratchet & Clank Future), best hack and slash (God of War 3), best action-adventure (Uncharted 2), best puzzle-platformer between PS3 and 360 at least (LittleBigPlanet), best action RPG (Demon's Souls), etc?

Point is the PS3 has quality strong entries in literally every genre and that's what makes a varied library in my eyes.

Yep. PS3 has easy the most diversity ! Quality in every genre, the best Console I have ever owned. Now let's see what PS4 will offer, and already offering ;)

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
the most diversity of any console ever? How about the Snes?

FPS, third person shooter and open world games like GTA.

PowerOfSoren said:
not trolling but hasn't SNES always had the reputation of most diverse gaming library :)

Didn't knew SNES had fps, tps games.

McDonaldsGuy said:

It does pale in comparison to the PS3 and Xbox 360 however. As great as the PS2 was it was a product of its time really. With first person shooters and WRPGs now some of the most popular genres it may not have had the appeal it does today. Even with the PS4, it's most popular games are shooters (Battlefield 4, Killzone 4, Call of Duty series, Destiny, etc. etc.).

However, when you entertain the idea that the market has changed, you also have to entertain that the games the PS2 would have seen would have also adopted to that market. I think the games market is much less broad than it used to be, that's why I don't think we'll really come close to the variety we used to get on the older consoles.

Ever Sony said they wanted the PS4 to try and get back to the diversity that the PS1 had. They even acknowledged themselves that the PS3 lineup is a lot less diverse than their previous systems.

Yes the PS3 might have more examples of FPS, WRPG and TPS games etc. But the PS2 has them, and also has a lot of styles of game well covered beyond that, which the PS3 missed entirely. There was far more variety in genres like racing, shooters, 3d platformers etc. and a hell of a lot more quirky off shoot gaming concepts. The PS3 played it so safe in comparison to the point of boredom as far as innovation and experimentation went. This however is completely understandable when you factor in how much development costs ballooned with the requirements of HD gaming. Indie gaming is starting to make these game types viable again, but it is the 8th gen where Indie gaming will truly shine.

It just quite simply is nowhere near as broad a software offering as the previous PlayStations.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

daredevil.shark said:
PowerOfSoren said:
not trolling but hasn't SNES always had the reputation of most diverse gaming library :)

Didn't knew SNES had fps, tps games.

You mustn't have played DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D or Jurassic Park then XD

Did the PS3 have any decent Theme Park and City Building simulations?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I'd say that the PS2 has the most diverse library of all consoles, but the PS3 it's certainly up there!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---