By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the PS3 have the most diversity of any console ever?

Teeqoz said:
No mention of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time for platformers?

Good point. I was mostly going by memory. Can't believe I forgot that one. Added.

Around the Network

I'd say PS2 had the best diversity ever, but yeah PlayStation has had the most diversity in each generation for PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4.

My 8th gen collection

Yeah, PS3 was pretty top notch along with PS1, PS2 and Xbox 360.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Would've been nice to have a couple more strategy exclusives (Field Commander perhaps? Killzone spin off?) but a console just needs a couple strategy games to be diverse IMO.

Agreed. Would've been nice with a couple more strategy games. Imo it did have enough to cover that genre though.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

Tom Clancy's EndWar

R.U.S.E.

Port Royale 3

From Dust

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Swords & Soldiers

Under Siege

Greed Corp

Anomaly: Warzone Earth

Savage Moon

Age of Booty

Military Madness: Nectaris

all the legacy strategy games

etc.

Along with the PS3, the PS and PS2 have had a great diversity of games too

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
You know what's funny? When creating this thread, I knew strategy games would be a huge part of the thread. Xbox 360 has the best strategy games in console history (which isn't saying much, but still) but the PS3 didn't do too shabby in that regard. Would've been nice to have a couple more strategy exclusives (Field Commander perhaps? Killzone spin off?) but a console just needs a couple strategy games to be diverse IMO. The PlayStation surprisingly had quite a few strategy games as well - Warzone 2100 (5 million copies sold!), Warcraft II, Command and Conquer, Civilization II, and Battle Stations. Sadly this did not really continue on the PS2.

This exactly. When it comes to PS3 you cant really say they didnt have EVERY genre covered in one form or another. Thats something that I cant even say abotu PS2(its missing WRPGs) Hell PS3 even had a couple of crap shovelware motion control games thanks to Move. It covered all the bases

The obvious answer to your post question is an emphatic yessss!  PS3 seems to be now the playstation that is under-appreciated.  PS1, PS2, and now PS4 have had all the accolades, but what about the isolated PS3?  Admittedly it had a rocky start.  But come on, it has become the full-blown system that most people wanted all along.  And yes, it has such a deep and diverse library of games and apps that makes it indispensable and one of those consoles to always keep.  I applaud Sony for sticking with its third generation.  It's a great system...

viewjet said:

The obvious answer to your post question is an emphatic yessss!  PS3 seems to be now the playstation that is under-appreciated.  PS1, PS2, and now PS4 have had all the accolades, but what about the isolated PS3?  Admittedly it had a rocky start.  But come on, it has become the full-blown system that most people wanted all along.  And yes, it has such a deep and diverse library of games and apps that makes it indispensable and one of those consoles to always keep.  I applaud Sony for sticking with its third generation.  It's a great system...

It really is.

Mike_L said:

But I agree that without the old legacy games the selection of strategy and managing games on PS3 could've been better. I hope that more devs try this out in 8th gen. A new gen console version of SimCity 2013 has been rumored so who knows? Looking forward to try Tropico 5 on PS4 at least. :D

It's funny you mention Tropico 5, it was one of the few games that came to the 360 after my final RROD that I really wished I could have played. I think if the PS3 had, had those releases. And the ones like The Witcher, than the 360 saw, but the PS3 didn't. It may well have been the most diverse lineup as the thread states.

For me personally though, the huge demise in options for a lot of older genres prevents that though. Look at your options for Arcade Racers on the PS1 and PS2 vs the PS3 for example.

Though don't get me wrong, the PS3 still had a stunning lineup. I've held onto mine despite having a PS4, Wii U and decent PC purely for Rock Band.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

its either ps2 or ps3 thats for sure ! :D

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion