By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shovel Knight profit analysis

30% really seems too much......

It should do at least okay on plsaystation.

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:

nintendo didnt buy a lot of ads if any, they just placed the game well in the store and helped by promoting the game over the cheap nintendo channels like directs and youtube contacts. it was a very clever promotion campaign, not a very costly.

It would be a great move on Nintendos side if they give such good projects "free airtime" on their channels.

IF Nintendo would price them correctly - Nintendo DIRECTS would be the HIGHEST PRICED channel ! 

100% target group, 100% most addicted people.

At a later stage in the campaign only the eShop can match.

I hope that Nintendo offers a "special exlusivity and quality" discount to developers for promotion. Would be a win-win...

WhiteEaglePL said:

Too much? 30% distribution costs is a BARGAIN compared to phyisical distribution...

Samus Aran said:
hunter_alien said:
The thing is that SK like many other successful indie titles, are not the norm. They are the ones that receive tons of media attention and get the massive profits they make. 90% of them barely make any money at all or go bankrupt

Never the less, kudos to YG for making an attention grabbing and quality software, and I cant wait to see what they will bring out next time

I'm well aware of that, I did this for Shovel Knight because the developers have been very open about the development process of this game. 

You should read the blog I posted in the OP. It shows how hard the life can be of an indie developer, even if successful. 

I know somebody personally whom lost all his life savings on one, ill fated, and ill managed indie project 3 years + of work and a massive debt, that he will have to pay for the next 25 years, at least :|.

I do hope that with the help of YG and others, who share the financial side of their experience, more and more devs will choose the right ways when it comes to the financial aspect of their projects

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Still lower than I expected given all the hype and the crazy quality of the game, but I'm at least glad to see they've likely made enough to want to keep making great games.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
WhiteEaglePL said:

It should do at least okay on plsaystation.

It sounds about right to me.

Amazon take 25% of any Marketplace seller sales on their marketplace.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Samus Aran said:
CDiablo said:
I dont think the industry average per year in most areas of game development is $120,000.

Read the blog. And it's not $120.000 per year.

If a company has 100 developers the average cost of development would be $12.000.000 per year.

I think I trust actual insiders over some random guy on the internet. Anyway, it's just a rough estimate, not a fact.

Actually, that's what Yacht Club games said in the blog. It is in the image: the magic number is 10K$ per developer per month. That makes 120K$ per year. It also sounds realistic as a safe assumption to calculate budget. If you pay lower, cut some expenses you can drop this, as YCG did by calculating with 5K$.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Nintendo should publish their next game. It would barely cost them anything, and the goodwill they'd receive would be immense.

Samus Aran said:

Can you give me a link where he said that?

Here.

– Horberg says “The royalties are the same as on the AppStore (iOS) and most other downloadable services.”

badgenome said:
sterner said:

I wonder if any indie dev will ever be able to make a game of original Resident Evil caliber at least.

Whenever people say things like this I seriously wonder what year they're living in. Ever hear of Amnesia? The Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Sir, You Are Being Hunted? Ghost of a Tale? Volume? The Witness?

I'm guessing some people need commercials to tell them a game exists?