By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shovel Knight profit analysis

The thing is that SK like many other successful indie titles, are not the norm. They are the ones that receive tons of media attention and get the massive profits they make. 90% of them barely make any money at all or go bankrupt

Never the less, kudos to YG for making an attention grabbing and quality software, and I cant wait to see what they will bring out next time

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

Do you have a source for that? 30% is pretty high, that's almost akin to stealing. 

That's why Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo love Indie games. 30% revenue, no own risk, low bandwith costs ;)

I bought it before the current sale just to get those points before the DPP was over.

If someone can provide me with a decent source on how high the royalties are for indie games on Steam and Nintendo Eshop I'd be grateful. :)

hunter_alien said:
The thing is that SK like many other successful indie titles, are not the norm. They are the ones that receive tons of media attention and get the massive profits they make. 90% of them barely make any money at all or go bankrupt :-

Yeah, I'm happy for these guys that everything worked out so well, but it's not the norm. Most kickstarter projects get delays of 12 - 24 months, often because of unpredictable situations, sometimes because of bad/optimistic planning.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
The thing is that SK like many other successful indie titles, are not the norm. They are the ones that receive tons of media attention and get the massive profits they make. 90% of them barely make any money at all or go bankrupt

Never the less, kudos to YG for making an attention grabbing and quality software, and I cant wait to see what they will bring out next time

I'm well aware of that, I did this for Shovel Knight because the developers have been very open about the development process of this game. 

You should read the blog I posted in the OP. It shows how hard the life can be of an indie developer, even if successful. 

badgenome said:
Samus Aran said:

Yeah, I forgot about royalties, but I don't how high they are. 30% seems too high though!

30% should be about right. That's the standard on iTunes, and the developer of Gunman Clive says it's about the same on eShop and elsewhere.

Can you give me a link where he said that? 

Samus Aran said:
If someone can provide me with a decent source on how high the royalties are for indie games on Steam and Nintendo Eshop I'd be grateful. :)

Valve has a "flexible" royalty system (and Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft probably too), but you can be sure, that bigger publishers get much better deals at the negotiation table than "insignificant" small indie studios.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/steam-dev-revenue-split-flexible-but-fair/0109256

I would be very surprised if indies get better conditions from Steam, XBL, PSN and eShop than from the AppStores. It's business, and the ones with leverage will try to fuck the other party.

Conina said:
Samus Aran said:

Valve has a "flexible" royalty system (and Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft probably too), but you can be sure, that bigger publishers get much better deals at the negotiation table than "insignificant" small indie studios.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/steam-dev-revenue-split-flexible-but-fair/0109256

I would be very surprised if indies get better conditions from Steam, XBL, PSN and eShop than from the AppStores. It's business, and the ones with leverage will try to fuck the other party.

Ok, I included a source that says the royalties are about the same on Steam and Eshop than the Appstores. So I did the calculation with 30%. Still a very big profit if you ask me!

Thanks. 

And there are Playstation versions still to come! I'm sure the Steam sale helped push a few more copies too.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com