By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: To the people against remasters...

How do you feel about games being remastered?

I'm all for it! 134 40.98%

Not really bothered to be honest 121 37.00%

I'm against it! 42 12.84%

See results. 29 8.87%

Total:326

I just looked at my sig. Four out of the last five Xbox games I played are games I bought more than once!

Around the Network
mtu9356 said:
Barozi said:

lol of course. Apparently those who didn't buy a PS3 for TLOU just weren't interested enough in the game. They could easily wait 10 more years.
And in case they would actually bother to wait that long, they could just buy a used PS3 with TLOU for under $100 in a year or two.

Why would someone want to buy old outdated hardware to play an inferior version of a game when its the same price on next gen hardware?

I just don't understand gamers today its like they feel they're being insulted when a publisher re-releases a game.  If you've already played it on previous hardware, move on and don't buy it.

don't change the assumptions.
You asked why people need to wait a decade until devs release a remaster. That implies the current TLOU on PS4 doesn't exist.

I have no problem with publishers re-releasing games, but I have a problem when it's done in a subpar way.

1. People who bought the original release just to see that an upgraded port/remaster is underway and set to release in a year or perhaps two. In times where there are so many things to play, they supported the dev/publisher on launch day/week and perhaps didn't even come around to play the game yet (or at least finish it).
-> less incentive for consumers to buy a game at launch
-> lower profits for publisher
-> higher possibility of studio getting bankrupt, lower game budgets, fewer reasons to do a remaster

2. Most of the remastered games aren't worth owning twice because they don't offer enough changes.
I'd really like to buy remastered games again, but only if there's reason to. Halo Anniversary/Zelda Wind Waker being prime examples. Just changing the resolution from 720p to 1080p and framerate from 30 to 60 however isn't really enough.
-> how often can you recycle the same game?
-> lowering my and everyone's chances to see a proper remaster when the time is right.

3. or worse it leads to publishers flooding the market with remaster after remaster (of the same game) every 2 or 3 years as I pointed out here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6950699
It works great with Madden and FIFA, why wouldn't it work with other games?

Barozi said:
mtu9356 said:
Barozi said:

lol of course. Apparently those who didn't buy a PS3 for TLOU just weren't interested enough in the game. They could easily wait 10 more years.
And in case they would actually bother to wait that long, they could just buy a used PS3 with TLOU for under $100 in a year or two.

Why would someone want to buy old outdated hardware to play an inferior version of a game when its the same price on next gen hardware?

I just don't understand gamers today its like they feel they're being insulted when a publisher re-releases a game.  If you've already played it on previous hardware, move on and don't buy it.

don't change the assumptions.
You asked why people need to wait a decade until devs release a remaster. That implies the current TLOU on PS4 doesn't exist.

I have no problem with publishers re-releasing games, but I have a problem when it's done in a subpar way.

1. People who bought the original release just to see that an upgraded port/remaster is underway and set to release in a year or perhaps two. In times where there are so many things to play, they supported the dev/publisher on launch day/week and perhaps didn't even come around to play the game yet (or at least finish it).
-> less incentive for consumers to buy a game at launch
-> lower profits for publisher
-> higher possibility of studio getting bankrupt, lower game budgets, fewer reasons to do a remaster

2. Most of the remastered games aren't worth owning twice because they don't offer enough changes.
I'd really like to buy remastered games again, but only if there's reason to. Halo Anniversary/Zelda Wind Waker being prime examples. Just changing the resolution from 720p to 1080p and framerate from 30 to 60 however isn't really enough.
-> how often can you recycle the same game?
-> lowering my and everyone's chances to see a proper remaster when the time is right.

3. or worse it leads to publishers flooding the market with remaster after remaster (of the same game) every 2 or 3 years as I pointed out here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6950699
It works great with Madden and FIFA, why wouldn't it work with other games?

1.  When a game is released a year before new hardware comes out you can pretty much expect it to be "remastered" (ported).  This "problem" will go away when games are built for then released on ps4/xbox.  

2.  If its not worth owning twice don't buy it.  How is this hurting anyone?

The word remastered is just a fancy way of saying port from last gen to this gen (for the most part).  Bottom line do your research before making any purchase.

I don't mind remasters. I do mind when a game is being remastered only a year after the original comes out with the goal of trying to make the loyal fans double dip. Looking at you Grand Theft Auto V, Last of Us, and Dark Souls II... At least Sony had a slight excuse with the Last of Us since it was an exclusive that people who only owned a 360 last gen weren't able to try. Grand Theft Auto and Dark Souls II is just straight up trying to make people buy the same game twice by staggering the releases.

Nowadays companies are having so much trouble pushing the 360/ps3 versions that some are offering free upgrades to the next gen versions of the game when you decide to get a new console. I wouldn't be suprised if we start seeing companies just release the next gen versions at a later date with all the dlc considering it seems to be working pretty well.

Ports that I can think of off the top of my head:

TLOU - Bought the game for ps3 and ps4. Got a great deal on the ps4 version. Worth it imo because it has the best multiplayer of any ps4 game right now. The online community is very active and pretty much everyone migrated to the ps4 version. The jump from 30 fps to 60 fps is huge (especially when playing online) coming from someone who plays pc games.

GTA - Held off on the ps3 version to wait for the pc version. As of now I will be picking up the ps4 version when I can get it for a good price.

Tomb Raider - Played it on pc and have no reason to pick up the ps4 port.

Sleeping Dogs - Wasn't interested in the last gen version. Still not interested.

Dark Souls 2 - Put a 100 hours into the ps3 version. Graphics were disappointing and so was the pvp. I've been waiting for the complete pc version to be released to get back into it. I'm on the fence about getting the ps4 port as of now.

Metro Redux - Played on pc so no interest on ps4 version.

Around the Network

I'm against constantly remastering the PS360 games because it could have easily avoided by creating backwards-compatibility consoles. These consoles are powerful enough to, at the very least, emulate the old games. Without backwards-compatibility, they can sell old games again as new ones. If they remade game that aren no longer avalible by regular means, like LoZ Windwaker, or when most of your userbase never owned your last console-game, like TLoU or Bayoneta 1. Games like Tomb Raider, DMC:DMC, Metro 2033... are avalible through a lot of means (not counting 2nd-hand or piracy).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I just think companies may rely on them too much taking away resources from other games. In the other hand the profits made from these games may help fund other projects.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

The constraints of developing a videogame are part of the creative process. The developers have to figure out how to make the art and technical aspects of the visuals work together to create the graphics they want. That's not really the case with movies. Until the HD era, the creators were either shooting reality or creating handdrawn animations, and then the quality was downgraded in translation to the medium in question (movie reel/vhs/dvd etc.). So remastering for movies, for the most part, makes sense to me. The source material (people, animations) were always originally better than HD quality, so making it look as good as possible makes sense most of the time. With videogames, however, the original art has to be changed, details have to be added, lighting has to change, etc. it changes the effect of the presentation. That is not very appealing to me in most cases.

I'm all for it, just let the game be old enough to remaster without it being a blatant cash grab.

I love remasters, just not a year later for the same price! I prefer them to wait 2 consoles later to remake (e.g. WWHD GC to Wii U) but if they're going to do a collection like MCC then I'm fine with last gen remasters

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!