By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: To the people against remasters...

How do you feel about games being remastered?

I'm all for it! 134 40.98%

Not really bothered to be honest 121 37.00%

I'm against it! 42 12.84%

See results. 29 8.87%

Total:326
Conina said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

But I also appreicate the fact that these one, two, and three-year old ports, or "remasters," suggest that studios are making them to impel consumers to pay twice for the same product.

It is not the same product. Nobody forced the buyers of the PS3 version to buy the PS4 version again, if they are still happy with their first buy.

Nobody forced buyers of the PS3 retail versions to keep the PS3 version if they wanted the slightly better remastered version. I sold my PS3 version of TLoU directly after the PS4 announcement for 30 €, managed to live without that game for a few months, and got TLoU:R for 37 € later (with the DLC included, photo mode, commentary).

The buyers of the digital PS3 version are out of luck... but I can't feel sorry for someone who buys games with account-binding when he is not sure if he wants to keep that game... especially if the console successor is already announced.

I understand that no studio is forcing consumers to buy anything. But that doesn't change the fact that I disapprove of some companies' business strategies. 

Would we even need to buy these remastered games if 1) console manufacturers allowed backward compatability, 2) studios released games complete at launch and didn't sell DLC piecemeal afterward, or 3) studios made games according to their means and the power limitations of the hardware, creating a fully-functional, stable game that doesn't need remastering?

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Conina said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

But I also appreicate the fact that these one, two, and three-year old ports, or "remasters," suggest that studios are making them to impel consumers to pay twice for the same product.

It is not the same product. Nobody forced the buyers of the PS3 version to buy the PS4 version again, if they are still happy with their first buy.

Nobody forced buyers of the PS3 retail versions to keep the PS3 version if they wanted the slightly better remastered version. I sold my PS3 version of TLoU directly after the PS4 announcement for 30 €, managed to live without that game for a few months, and got TLoU:R for 37 € later (with the DLC included, photo mode, commentary).

The buyers of the digital PS3 version are out of luck... but I can't feel sorry for someone who buys games with account-binding when he is not sure if he wants to keep that game... especially if the console successor is already announced.

I understand that no studio is forcing consumers to buy anything. But that doesn't change the fact that I disapprove of some companies' business strategies. 

Would we even need to buy these remastered games if 1) console manufacturers allowed backward compatability, 2) studios released games complete at launch and didn't sell DLC piecemeal afterward, or 3) studios made games according to their means and the power limitations of the hardware, creating a fully-functional, stable game that doesn't need remastering?

Point 1: Yes. Even with BC. They do the whole 1080p, 60fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better shadows, up the ass. Point 2: GOTY editions exsist cause some people wait for a complete game later on. And those ocmpanies want those sales/double sales regardless. Point 3 is the only one that will happen at some point. Remastering a one year old game can't really happen if the tech improvements are too small. There will be a wall with res and FPS with the general public. It's not gonna keep going till where at 400K and 3000FPS.

I am for it. I want to play uncharted and infamous collection in 1080p 60fps. In consoles we dont have much choice like PC. So I prefer it. If you guys dont like it then just ignore it.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yes, i want my favorite games in the best possible version... usually it's the PC version, but with console exclusives the PS4, XBO or Wii U version will have to do.

If some of you settle for less and are happy with the original versions, it's your choice. But don't force that choice on everyone.

Great games remastered on the next gen hardware are welcome until devs don't subtract too much resources from the ones required to produce new IPs and real next gen games.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yes, i want my favorite games in the best possible version... usually it's the PC version, but with console exclusives the PS4, XBO or Wii U version will have to do.

If some of you settle for less and are happy with the original versions, it's your choice. But don't force that choice on everyone.

Then where does it end? Should game X from 1991 get a remake every time a new graphics card or console comes out?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Then where does it end? Should game X from 1991 get a remake every time a new graphics card or console comes out?

The market regulates itself. If it gets oversaturated with remastered versions / ports that less and less people want, profits for these versions will drop and developers will stop making them.

supply and demand 101

toot1231 said:
I think remasters are good when done correctly. I think they should wait a good while until doing it. Look at MM it took 13 years for it to be remastered but then look at something like The Last Of Us to me that just seems like a kick in the balls when they are remade not even a year after the game came out

So everyone who didn't own a ps3 should wait a decade for them to re-release TLOU?  TLOU is one of the best games of last gen and only a fraction of gamers were able to play it, that's why they released it on ps4.  Also what's your thoughts on "game of the year" editions of games?

the jump from VHS to DVD and DVD to BluRay were huge!

I have nothing against remastering games were you actually see and feel a difference. But the way it is now, you're just going to see the same old games each gen with a slightly prettier version. Hell maybe even twice a gen soon.

The main problem is that this is only adding sales to games which were already doing exceptionally well and leaving new IPs and/or not as well known gaming series in the dust, because they have to stand their ground against the newest part of the series (for example Uncharted 4) and the remaster of Uncharted 1-3.

mtu9356 said:
toot1231 said:
I think remasters are good when done correctly. I think they should wait a good while until doing it. Look at MM it took 13 years for it to be remastered but then look at something like The Last Of Us to me that just seems like a kick in the balls when they are remade not even a year after the game came out

So everyone who didn't own a ps3 should wait a decade for them to re-release TLOU?  TLOU is one of the best games of last gen and only a fraction of gamers were able to play it, that's why they released it on ps4.  Also what's your thoughts on "game of the year" editions of games?

lol of course. Apparently those who didn't buy a PS3 for TLOU just weren't interested enough in the game. They could easily wait 10 more years.
And in case they would actually bother to wait that long, they could just buy a used PS3 with TLOU for under $100 in a year or two.