By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: To the people against remasters...

How do you feel about games being remastered?

I'm all for it! 134 40.98%

Not really bothered to be honest 121 37.00%

I'm against it! 42 12.84%

See results. 29 8.87%

Total:326

Some people honestly believe that if a small crew of studio personel worked on an entirely new game instead then it would have somehow been released. They believe spending a few weeks with a skeleton crew to remaster a title for a new generation of gamers is a bad thing.

Me personally, I couldn't care less. There is a market for it, so why not satisfy it. Let the crybabies whine about stupid shit.

When you really get down to it and realize, yes, they really are complaining about stupid shit and it is even worse when they try to impose some bogus rules about how long a game needs to wait before being remastered.

To those who whine about it being a money grab, don't buy. Simple as that.

Embarassing the things gamers complain about.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Barozi said:
mtu9356 said:
toot1231 said:
I think remasters are good when done correctly. I think they should wait a good while until doing it. Look at MM it took 13 years for it to be remastered but then look at something like The Last Of Us to me that just seems like a kick in the balls when they are remade not even a year after the game came out

So everyone who didn't own a ps3 should wait a decade for them to re-release TLOU?  TLOU is one of the best games of last gen and only a fraction of gamers were able to play it, that's why they released it on ps4.  Also what's your thoughts on "game of the year" editions of games?

lol of course. Apparently those who didn't buy a PS3 for TLOU just weren't interested enough in the game. They could easily wait 10 more years.
And in case they would actually bother to wait that long, they could just buy a used PS3 with TLOU for under $100 in a year or two.

Why would someone want to buy old outdated hardware to play an inferior version of a game when its the same price on next gen hardware?

I just don't understand gamers today its like they feel they're being insulted when a publisher re-releases a game.  If you've already played it on previous hardware, move on and don't buy it.

well, I'm playing TLoU Remastered and, while I don't regret the purchase, I have to say the upgrade is pretty miniscule. I got it for $30 and it does contain the Left Behind DLC but I had to fire up both the PS3 and PS4 games, side by side to see the improvements. The 60fps are noticeable, though. Hopefully, by the time I reach the clickers etc, they have more polygons or something.

mtu9356 said:
Barozi said:
mtu9356 said:
toot1231 said:
I think remasters are good when done correctly. I think they should wait a good while until doing it. Look at MM it took 13 years for it to be remastered but then look at something like The Last Of Us to me that just seems like a kick in the balls when they are remade not even a year after the game came out

So everyone who didn't own a ps3 should wait a decade for them to re-release TLOU?  TLOU is one of the best games of last gen and only a fraction of gamers were able to play it, that's why they released it on ps4.  Also what's your thoughts on "game of the year" editions of games?

lol of course. Apparently those who didn't buy a PS3 for TLOU just weren't interested enough in the game. They could easily wait 10 more years.
And in case they would actually bother to wait that long, they could just buy a used PS3 with TLOU for under $100 in a year or two.

Why would someone want to buy old outdated hardware to play an inferior version of a game when its the same price on next gen hardware?

I just don't understand gamers today its like they feel they're being insulted when a publisher re-releases a game.  If you've already played it on previous hardware, move on and don't buy it.

Best of the Best mentality. Their copy was the best. Than they make a better one. *Cue camera pull out on Homer as he curses*

I'm not crying tears of joy but they don't bother me. Why? Cause I can choose not to interact with them. Simple.

If there is a remaster I want (TLoU and DmC) I will get it, play it and be super duper happy. If there is a remaster i don't give a shit about (...uhhhh) I won't play it. Some other folks will get a kick out of it.

I will never understand why people get so bent out of shape over remasters, like they fucked their mom and didn't call back or missed that really important softball game.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Your comparison to movies / music is flawed. Difference is we didn't get VHS to DVD and DVD to HD/Blu Ray remasters of movies, or vinyl to cassette and cassette to CD a year apart from one another.

I've no problem with say Nintendo rereleasing old N64 games with better textures and in 3D today for example. It's a little hard to swallow all these "definitive" rereleases of games that just came out within the past year or so at full MSRP however.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

toot1231 said:

To whom?

PS3 owners? I hardly doubt it, they already played the game and those who had a PS4 could trade in their old one (PS3 version) and make the PS4 version half price ($25) That's what I did, best decision on that case. People have said it themselves, the graphical difference is not that great (even a biased ND lover like me can see that) and the performance is nicer on MP but not revolutionary. You are not gaining much from buying it again.

Naughty Dog? The remaster sold well, really goddamn well. That means they get more time to work on their other project and more revenue to use toward projects. It helps the franchise grow in popularity on 8th gen for when the inevitable TLoU2 drops.

The game was strictly for anybody who missed out on, and I am going to emphasize this shit out of this, the most awarded game in the history of gaming making it arguably the best game in history, a chance to get experience it. I know many people saw that over 30% (or close to that) of PS4 owners did not own a PS3 in the last gen so they get the most out of this remaster.

So I will ask again, who is the remaster hurting?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

NightDragon83 said:
Your comparison to movies / music is flawed. Difference is we didn't get VHS to DVD and DVD to HD/Blu Ray remasters of movies, or vinyl to cassette and cassette to CD a year apart from one another.

Yes, we did... many 2004/2005 movies that were released in 2005/2006 on DVD were re-released a year later on HD DVD or Blu-ray... King Kong, Serenity, Sin City and many others.

The generation shift from VHS to DVD was similar... many movies that year were first released on VHS and 6 - 18 months later on DVD.

NightDragon83 said:

I've no problem with say Nintendo rereleasing old N64 games with better textures and in 3D today for example. It's a little hard to swallow all these "definitive" rereleases of games that just came out within the past year or so at full MSRP however.

That happened during transition periods, and it will happen again with 4k blu-ray coming next year.

Plus movies are all about remasters. They release in the theaters first, with a digital/physical remaster half a year to a year later. Movies have tons of remasters on the same format. For the big movies, you'll get an extended cut a year later. Then after a series is complete you get the box set. During the DVD era you had superbit collection rereleases, on blu-ray you have 4K mastered rereleases, or simply rereleases with better codecs. All at full price.

Games have always had so called goty editions on the same format, a year later, usually with some dlc or other extras included. Yet nobody cares about that. When the goty edition is on a new system and actually runs better it's a problem?

I always thought that they should've just released The Last of Us for the PS4 originally, like during Q4 2014. Naughty Dog seems to start each console with a new IP and The Last of Us could've been a huge exclusive for the PS4 for 2014, which it needs.