By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

Samus Aran said:

I see TLOU as an interactive movie that didn't deliver anything new in the gameplay department. Good game, but doesn't deserve to be the most awarded game in history. 

I'm sorry, but SMG was a revolution. 

People calling MGS:IV an interactive movie are stretching the truth but I can understand the parallel there's a lot of very long cutscenes in the game but calling The Last Of Us an interactive movie is just plain wrong. Nobody who's played the game can come to that conclusion.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Wright said:
Samus Aran said:

I loved watching my friend play TLOU, I didn't feel much difference when I took over the controls. Sorry, just my opinion. I think there's a place for games like this in the industry, but I prefer games that focus more on gameplay.

As for Samus' gender, it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest. 

Again, calling The Last of Us a movie is the same as calling Samus Aran a man: an incorrect train of thought.

The last of Us doesn't play it by itself, and Samus (unfortunately) doesn't have a penis.

I see TLOU as an interactive movie that didn't deliver anything new in the gameplay department. Good game, but doesn't deserve to be the most awarded game in history. 

I'm sorry, but SMG was a revolution. 

I agree with the last sentence, but I'll have to wait till I play TLOU till I can pass fair judgement. Give me a clue for now....does it have more gameplay and less scripted events than the Uncharted games, or it has less gameplay and more scripted events than the Uncharted games?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Wright said:
Samus Aran said:

Read the OP, games doing new (good) things --> GOTY. TLOU is just another movie inspired game of Sony. 

Reading the OP in yuxtaposition with your comment does nothing. Fresh experience isn't exclusive to doing new (good) things.

Again, Samus is not a man.

There's nothing fresh about TLOU. Countless of books, movies and TV shows about that subject. It's been done to death. Hah, see what I did there? ;)

Samus Aran said:

There's nothing fresh about TLOU. Countless of books, movies and TV shows about that subject. It's been done to death. Hah, see what I did there? ;)

Uh...

...I don't see it...

Wright said:
Samus Aran said:

Uh...

...I don't see it...

Zombies, the living dead.

I'll leave myself out. 

Around the Network

I think it's more about mind share. Sony and Microsoft have their own marketing teams advertising their games plus Activision, Take Two, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Konami, Capcom and whoever else I've forgotten. We get bombarded with games and ads for Sony and MS console games, but all Nintendo has these days are Nintendo games. They're great, but they get lost in the noise of the others and left unnoticed.

Nintendo games don't win GOTY because they are nintendo games, nobody (majority) wants to see themselves as ''that guy'' who awarded ''a nintendo game... *shivers*'' as GOTY, it is as simple as that, nintendo has had material to win every single year since, well forever

EDIT: not iplying that games that have been majorly awarded didn't deserve it - maybe a couple

The hair-pulling over Bayonetta 2 is really interesting.

I have a very, very strong suspicion that, had Bayonetta 2 been a multi-platform title published by Sega, many of the people yelling that it should get GOTY now would instead back Smash Bros. or Mario Kart. In fact, had it been a multi-platform title that skipped the Wii U, many of the people championing it now would be downplaying it instead, telling us that it's merely another immature title that glorifies sex and violence. There is no doubt in my mind about that. None at all.

Really, where was all this indignation when Bayonetta 1 was losing to Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2?

The reality is that nothing has changed because Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo exclusive. No one is NOT voting for it because it's only on the Wii U. Exactly as with Bayonetta 1, people are declining to vote for Bayonetta 2 because they feel the narrative and characterizations are weak, or because they don't like the goofy style, or because they don't value hack 'n 'slash titles highly, or simply because they received a deeper, more fulfilling experience with other games. People declined to vote for it because of any number of valid reasons.

I'm sorry, Nintendo conspiracy theorists, but the simple truth is that almost no one hates Nintendo or cares enough to conspire against it. No one is going, "man, I really like Bayonetta, but I want to strike a mortal blow against Nintendo!"

Most people aren't voting for it because they liked something else more. Period. End of shock, conspiracy over.

TruckOSaurus said:

People calling MGS:IV an interactive movie are stretching the truth but I can understand the parallel there's a lot of very long cutscenes in the game but calling The Last Of Us an interactive movie is just plain wrong. Nobody who's played the game can come to that conclusion.

Yep, TLOU is a 15 to 20 hour story with around 90 minutes of "movie". I can understand that being too much for some people, but it's certainly not enough to justify claiming the game is an "interactive movie". Doubly so since for a game that follows a strict progression path, it gives you a lot of freedom in how you tackle areas (many of which are quite large).

You forgot MGS. :(