By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

What I cant believe is how a nintendo game not getting GOTY this year is a huge issue to a lot of you.
The other games that came this year werent good?
The awards were not enough for you? Or you want the awards to be in specific sites like IGN or Gamespot, then other sites will "scurry" around with other games.

Wasnt there a thread here by someone who gave a GOTY blog with some sites current picks?

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1

Smash Bros was given GOTY by 8 sites, Mario kart 5 sites

VGAs even gave big highlights for a sum of nintendo titles......
Genuine question, what more do you want? Recognition? MK8 and Bayonetta 2 were the talk of their months, sooo.....

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:
people are getting fed up of mario and friends.

Coming from the guy with FFXV in his sig.

Priceless. 

With comments like this one and "We're talking about the Wii era. Keep up will ya!" You're sliding dangerously close to attacking users instead of arguing your points. Keep it civil.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:
people are getting fed up of mario and friends.

Coming from the guy with FFXV in his sig.

Priceless. 

With comments like this one and "We're talking about the Wii era. Keep up will ya!" You're sliding dangerously close to attacking users instead of arguing your points. Keep it civil.

He says people are fed up with Mario because apparently Nintendo brings out too many Mario games.

He actually is hyped for a game with the number 15 in its name, not counting spin-offs. You can't see the irony in that? It's not a personal attack at all. 

I did not pass judgement on the quality of said franchises. Merely passed judgement on the irony of the situation. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Samus Aran said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

its from ff 14 .

Priceless.

Best mmo i ever played :D

Official FINAL FANTASY XV HYPE Thread

the image is from ff 14 :P

And all final fantasy games have diferent storys and characters, mario and friends are all mario and friends , a mario game is a mario game with bowser, the princess etc and save the princess " story ".

I dont get your reply to him.

Mario games aren't about the story (unless it's Mario RPG). The gameplay is radically different each time.

Super Mario Sunshine is radically different from Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are radically different from Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 3d World is radically different from Super Mario galaxy. 

Samus Aran said:
TruckOSaurus said:

He says people are fed up with Mario because apparently Nintendo brings out too many Mario games.

He actually is hyped for a game with the number 15 in its name, not counting spin-offs. You can't see the irony in that? It's not a personal attack at all. 

I did not pass judgement on the quality of said franchises. Merely passed judgement on the irony of the situation. 

Just keep your replies civil and on topic. I don't agree with deskpro's point at all but your response is not discrediting his statement, it's snapping back at him which is sure to drag the conversation away from the topic of the thread.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

"Nintendo games that are sequels don't bring much to the table , THey aren't fresh experiences or massive leaps in quality over the predecessor or offer something new to the gaming genre alot hence not winning MASS GOTY among critics, and the problems lie theres Ninty does alot of sequels"

Not true because nintendo games tend to bring new gameplay and level design most times. Not logical because goty means game of the YEAR, meaning that whatever came before is irrelevant. And the games that do win GOTY generally don't bring anything new either.

Emperorbach said:

The complaint to me thagt people sly Nintendo for GOTY has an element of truth however they need to acknowledge something , Nintendo games that are sequels don't bring much to the table , THey aren't fresh experiences or massive leaps in quality over the predecessor or offer something new to the gaming genre alot hence not winning MASS GOTY among critics, and the problems lie theres Ninty does alot of sequels

Bayonetta 2 - great game but really just an improved sequel , still has weakness in graphical fidelity and story in comparison to the competition losing DA; I which is a massive leap in quality from its predecessors , offers much more top do , better story telling , better characters and just generally excellent

SM3DW - Awesome game , but its predeccessors SMG1 and SMG2 are much better

and a host of others some zelda games you catch my drift

now lets look at ninty games and other games that get Goty ,alot of them do things not done before , much better 

OOT - changed the gaming industry

SMG - amazing

GTA V & Skyrim - the general things that can be done in the game isnt matched

TLOU - considered to have one of the best stories in modern gaming ,well done characters with 8.5- 9/10 gameplay plus 10/10 graphics ( for ps3 that is )

Halo -  changed the fps genre on console

LBP - content creation

COD 4 - changed fps

also racing games , fighters , and sexualized action games aren't what mainstream media usually chooses , RPGs , Open World and Shooters are generally more favoured

@bold
Thats what MOVIE OF THE YEAR is for. 

And to me dips to 18fps is not amazing graphics at all. Because its just 18 frames of amazing graphics which is at leats 12 frames of amazing graphics to low.
The game could look even better with 12fps. or well with 10. or with 1. The first xbox could run TLoU (for the most part) with 0,01 fps.

Inconsistent framerate destroys the gameplay (precision etc.) something like that cannot be calle GAME of the year.

Samus Aran said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

the image is from ff 14 :P

And all final fantasy games have diferent storys and characters, mario and friends are all mario and friends , a mario game is a mario game with bowser, the princess etc and save the princess " story ".

I dont get your reply to him.

Mario games aren't about the story (unless it's Mario RPG). The gameplay is radically different each time.

Super Mario Sunshine is radically different from Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are radically different from Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 3d World is radically different from Super Mario galaxy. 

I think the premise is that no matter the name  a mario game is pretty much a mario game. They may not all play the same but allt eh same characters are there and the goal is pretty much the same in them. Which is fine in my opinion because I have fun with good Mario games.

I just get tired of this "media bias" or conspiracy theory against Nin. Because they get the same treatment that most other get. They have games that get high review scores and games that get low review scores just like everyone else. They win GOTY sometimes and don't sometimes.....just like everybody else.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Seriously though. Too many people get too worked up over GOTY. My fave games never win GOTY but I never think it's a weird conspiracy XD GOTY awards don't really matter except to be used in dick waving arguments saying: "MY GAEM IZ BETTR CUZ IT HAZ MOR AWRDS DAN URS LOL"

GOTY awards are opinions. Always have been and always will be. Dont like them? Dont watch/look for them. 

Mainstream GOTY is given to the mainstream goop that the mainstream loves. That's all there is to it.