By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

Samus Aran said:

Still, that's the voice of the general gaming community. And that makes me sad.

I just feel the Nintendo fanbase is so much more mature, which is very noticable on youtube videos where only Nintendo fans post. I see nothing but bitter fighting on PS/XBOX videos. 

Lol, no.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
Zekkyou said:
JazzB1987 said:

@bold
Thats what MOVIE OF THE YEAR is for. 

And to me dips to 18fps is not amazing graphics at all. Because its just 18 frames of amazing graphics which is at leats 12 frames of amazing graphics to low.
The game could look even better with 12fps. or well with 10. or with 1. The first xbox could run TLoU (for the most part) with 0,01 fps.

Inconsistent framerate destroys the gameplay (precision etc.) something like that cannot be calle GAME of the year.

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I've seen you cherry pick that 18fps figure ^^ You make it sound as if drops under 20 aren't incredibly rare.

TLOU's frame-rate on the PS3 was by no means perfect (especially the school bus section), it spent the majority of its time at around 25 - 30fps with adaptive motion blur to help clean out the fluctuations, but that didn't stop it being the most enjoyable gameplay experience i'd had since A Crack in Time in 2009 and Galaxy 2 in 2010. If critics loved it as much as i did, which they certainly seem to have, then i'm not surprising it won so many GOTY awards.

Does not matter.

Its a GOTY game that cant sustain 30 fps even tho the gameplay would profit from a smooth framerate.  If the gameplay would see no improvement with better FPS (like a turn based rpg) that would not be much of a problem but fluctuating framerate or low framerate kills precision of aiming. Therefore it cannot be better than a game that does not have this flaw or a similar flaw and obviously cannot be a 10/10 game.
I mean how is that even possible? Unless the industry and media changes their GOTY standards or remove the GOTY from that specific game I will cherry pick that every time I can.

If you make a game that has flawless or near flawless gameplay but would have monaural sound or be 320x240p it can still get goty as long as the gameplay (which is related to the word GAME) does not suffer. A shooter like battlefield with snipers etc would obviously suffer from low resolution. A game like Guacamelee not if the game would have visuals that have the low resolution in mind.

Actually it does matter if that is an INCREDIBLY rare instance where it drops there(and it never did that once during my play through of it) thent hat is now some major flaw that hinders the game because it rarely happens during the game. And a 10/10 game doesn't mean flawless becuase no game is perfect soooooo not sure why a game having a flaw means i can't be a 10/10. You seem to be reaching here buddy....not sure why.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

JazzB1987 said:

Does not matter.

Its a GOTY game that cant sustain 30 fps even tho the gameplay would profit from a smooth framerate.  If the gameplay would see no improvement with better FPS (like a turn based rpg) that would not be much of a problem but fluctuating framerate or low framerate kills precision of aiming. Therefore it cannot be better than a game that does not have this flaw or a similar flaw and obviously cannot be a 10/10 game.
I mean how is that even possible? Unless the industry and media changes their GOTY standards or remove the GOTY from that specific game I will cherry pick that every time I can.

If you make a game that has flawless or near flawless gameplay but would have monaural sound or be 320x240p it can still get goty as long as the gameplay (which is related to the word GAME) does not suffer. A shooter like battlefield with snipers etc would obviously suffer from low resolution. A game like Guacamelee not if the game would have visuals that have the low resolution in mind.

I was under the impression that gaming was a form of entertainment. The end goal is to "enjoy" the game. I enjoyed TLOU more than i had any game in years and it would appear so did many others, critics and players alike. That's a good enough reason for something to win GOTY in my books ^^

On a side note, very few people consider a 10/10 an actual indication of perfection (for obvious reasons). You can't have a linear scale without properly definable points of reference. Because of that, a "perfect" score usually just refers to something the critic or player believes is best/among the best of what they have personally experienced. There's more to it than performance. Me enjoying a mildly unstable 720p/30fps game over every perfectly locked 1080p/60fps PC title i played that year is proof enough for me.

Samus Aran said:
Wright said:
Samus Aran said:

I loved watching my friend play TLOU, I didn't feel much difference when I took over the controls. Sorry, just my opinion. I think there's a place for games like this in the industry, but I prefer games that focus more on gameplay.

As for Samus' gender, it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest. 

Again, calling The Last of Us a movie is the same as calling Samus Aran a man: an incorrect train of thought.

The last of Us doesn't play it by itself, and Samus (unfortunately) doesn't have a penis.

I see TLOU as an interactive movie that didn't deliver anything new in the gameplay department. Good game, but doesn't deserve to be the most awarded game in history. 

I'm sorry, but SMG was a revolution. 

jumping on goombas.  Pretty standard fare Mario for me.  I think 3d world was just as revolutionary (not much).  Nintendo is great for quality but not innovation.  TLoU opened up the environment compared to other games in the genre and also had scavenging for supplies make it an actual survival horror game as opposed to the normal ammo fest you get with survival horror nowadays.  It blended two things that had never been together in a game before, great survival horror GAMEPLAY and great STORYTELLING.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers