By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Youtube comments don't represent the Xbox/PS community...

I disagree, I see comments like these everywhere, not just youtube.

They don't represent the XBOX/PS community on vgchartz, that is true. Thank god. 

The majority of the Xbox/PS community don't even spend time commenting on Youtube or on internet forums.  Your taking the opinions of the few and applying it to the whole fanbase.  Not to mention youtube is full of trolls...

Who doesn't use Youtube? 

I think you need to read my post again, I said comment on Youtube, the amount that use Youtube is irrelavent to this discussion.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

DF praised it, I'm talking about the youtube comments. They were horrible. Best thing they could come up with was calling it a mobile game with ugly graphics and blahblahblah. 

They just envy Nintendo's quality. None has and never will come close to it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I think you need to read my post again, I said comment on Youtube, the amount that use Youtube is irrelavent to this discussion.

My point still stands, who here has never commented on a gaming video? Most gamers have I think. 

Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

My point still stands, who here has never commented on a gaming video? Most gamers have I think. 

Sigh...I don't even know what to say to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjBHFb0fZM

Only 0.5% of the people that watched this video actually commented on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9OMm7rfz98

Only 0.26% of people that watched this video commented on it.  That's most all right...just stop now.

Are we really still doing the "Nintendo rehashes old franchises with slight improvements" argument? That got old about ten years ago.

Anyway, from what I've seen of GOTY winners so far, Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 seem to be leading the charge, so OP's point is moot.

If there's a reason Nintendo does get snubbed, though, it's because game critics take themselves way too seriously. Or, in the case of GamesRadar, because Activision obviously paid them a lot of money.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

Still, that's the voice of the general gaming community. And that makes me sad.

I just feel the Nintendo fanbase is so much more mature, which is very noticable on youtube videos where only Nintendo fans post. I see nothing but bitter fighting on PS/XBOX videos. 

Yeah, I don't believe that at all.  I mean, at all.  I just watched a bunch of Nintendo fans go ape shit because a reviewer gave Pokemon less than an 8.0 and said she didn't like the water levels.  It was an absolutely ridiculous display.  Now we have a group of Nintendo fans attacking Dragon Age and other games simply because some people enjoyed them more than Bayonetta 2.  Then there is the constant whining about how everyone picks on Nintendo and all the silly conspiracy theories and attempts to downplay EVERYTHING that doesn't come to Nintendo.  

More mature?  Holy downsberry talking cats.  My scoff meter is overflowing.

pokoko said:
Samus Aran said:

Still, that's the voice of the general gaming community. And that makes me sad.

I just feel the Nintendo fanbase is so much more mature, which is very noticable on youtube videos where only Nintendo fans post. I see nothing but bitter fighting on PS/XBOX videos. 

Yeah, I don't believe that at all.  I mean, at all.  I just watched a bunch of Nintendo fans go ape shit because a reviewer gave Pokemon less than an 8.0 and said she didn't like the water levels.  It was an absolutely ridiculous display.  Now we have Nintendo fans attacking Dragon Age and other games simply because some people enjoyed them more than Bayonetta 2.  Then there is the constant whining about how everyone picks on Nintendo and all the silly conspiracy theories and attempts to downplay EVERYTHING that doesn't come to Nintendo.  

Get off your high horse >_>
No fanbase is mature. They're passionate fans. They get passionate.

FragilE^ said:
pokoko said:

Yeah, I don't believe that at all.  I mean, at all.  I just watched a bunch of Nintendo fans go ape shit because a reviewer gave Pokemon less than an 8.0 and said she didn't like the water levels.  It was an absolutely ridiculous display.  Now we have Nintendo fans attacking Dragon Age and other games simply because some people enjoyed them more than Bayonetta 2.  Then there is the constant whining about how everyone picks on Nintendo and all the silly conspiracy theories and attempts to downplay EVERYTHING that doesn't come to Nintendo.  

Get off your high horse >_>
No fanbase is mature. They're passionate fans. They get passionate.

High horse?  The hell you talking about?  I never said any fanbase is mature, did I?

Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Youtube comments don't represent the Xbox/PS community...

I disagree, I see comments like these everywhere, not just youtube.

They don't represent the XBOX/PS community on vgchartz, that is true. Thank god. 

The majority of the Xbox/PS community don't even spend time commenting on Youtube or on internet forums.  Your taking the opinions of the few and applying it to the whole fanbase.  Not to mention youtube is full of trolls...

Who doesn't use Youtube? 

Use =/= comment.

the majority of the public doesn't spend their time commenting on any videos, let alone gaming ones. I think you're mistaking guys on the forum as representing the masses. if that was the case bayonetta would be in the 1m mark by now and Ubisoft and EA would have died by now lol

I do however agree that it does reflect the hardcore fanbase to some extent, and yes Nintendo guys seem more chill and less whiny ;)

Zekkyou said:
JazzB1987 said:

@bold
Thats what MOVIE OF THE YEAR is for. 

And to me dips to 18fps is not amazing graphics at all. Because its just 18 frames of amazing graphics which is at leats 12 frames of amazing graphics to low.
The game could look even better with 12fps. or well with 10. or with 1. The first xbox could run TLoU (for the most part) with 0,01 fps.

Inconsistent framerate destroys the gameplay (precision etc.) something like that cannot be calle GAME of the year.

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I've seen you cherry pick that 18fps figure ^^ You make it sound as if drops under 20 aren't incredibly rare.

TLOU's frame-rate on the PS3 was by no means perfect (especially the school bus section), it spent the majority of its time at around 25 - 30fps with adaptive motion blur to help clean out the fluctuations, but that didn't stop it being the most enjoyable gameplay experience i'd had since A Crack in Time in 2009 and Galaxy 2 in 2010. If critics loved it as much as i did, which they certainly seem to have, then i'm not surprising it won so many GOTY awards.

Does not matter.

Its a GOTY game that cant sustain 30 fps even tho the gameplay would profit from a smooth framerate.  If the gameplay would see no improvement with better FPS (like a turn based rpg) that would not be much of a problem but fluctuating framerate or low framerate kills precision of aiming. Therefore it cannot be better than a game that does not have this flaw or a similar flaw and obviously cannot be a 10/10 game.
I mean how is that even possible? Unless the industry and media changes their GOTY standards or remove the GOTY from that specific game I will cherry pick that every time I can.

If you make a game that has flawless or near flawless gameplay but would have monaural sound or be 320x240p it can still get goty as long as the gameplay (which is related to the word GAME) does not suffer. A shooter like battlefield with snipers etc would obviously suffer from low resolution. A game like Guacamelee not if the game would have visuals that have the low resolution in mind.