By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:
The reason they didn't have any winners this year at least is that both of their biggest games were competitive multiplayer games with no story. It pretty much doesn't matter how great your game is; if it doesn't blow us away with a great story or incredible depth it's not going to win GOTY. Mario Kart and Smash are still just Mario Kart and Smash.

And Bayonetta? Way too niche.

Aren't those stupid reasons though? 

Wow, insulting much?

It doesn't matter if they're stupid reasons if that's how the general populous feels.  They're not going to go, "I don't think Mario Kart or Smash should win GOTY, but it's because of stupid reasons, so I'll vote for them anyway!"

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Didn't Smash, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart all win GOTY awards?  Whats the problem here?  I remember seeing that thread listing all the games that have won GOTY awards so far.

The last update for that thread has Nintendo with 16 GOTY wins.  That's just a fraction away from zero.

A shame that the gaming media is so biased against them.

Devil_Survivor said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

But Nintendo DO and HAVE won GOTY, so therefore the title of this thread is not just misleading but a complete an utter LIE.

Exactly, last year for example Zelda won's Gamespot GOTY and SMW3D won Eurogamer's.

Yes, but the real question is: why didn't they both get all the GOTY awards on every single site?

There's only one logical explanation: It's a CONSPIRACY!!!

psrock said:
Busted said:
psrock said:
The lack of major success has more to do with it as well. Most GOTY are awarded to successful games and while an excellent game, if the fans didn't buy it or play it, nobody is going to award it.

And thats exactly one of the thigs that are wrong, the game of the year should be the best game not the most popular one

This is where metacritic lies to you guys badly. Because a site gives a big scores does not decides game of the year. Game of the year can be a team or personal decisions based on the games they enjoy. while, the review is just one person opinion.

I never mentioned reviews, and i think you are mistaking me for a ''nintendo fan'' -if you are not then i apologize because i said it first- but my point is, for example in the recent game awards/previous VGA's (just one GOTY award out of all of em), nobody can get in my head that the juries just vote for their favorite game and that's it - there HAS to be some extra hand in there because these events/awards in general (by magazines, etc) are used as advertisement and that is potentially a lot of money so of course companies wouldn't want to pass on that - then a game is picked because it was ''widely popular'' (widely advertised) and so on... of course for those same reasons most people agree with the pick and case closed - Nintendo doesn't have either the will or maybe the potential market to want to ''invest'' on these things so they'll just wont win - and yes there are counted exceptions but THAT'S what makes it obvious they are part of the scheme; nobody wants to see themselves as the ones who gave goty to a nintendo game

Actually, Nintendo is winning some GOTY awards. And don't forget that Zelda gameplay saved TGA 2 weeks ago.
Some kind of trend I'm liking this gen (maybe the only good thing) is that reviews are now focusing on gameplay and not only in graphics. Reviewers are not easily impressed as last gen and we are getting interesting scores.

Of course some are still stubborn to believe that VG Industry needs mature realistic games only to be called "art" and recognized, but it seems people is taking to note that the real way is to offer new experiences and not failed movies.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Dadrik said:
Samus Aran said:
Dadrik said:
Someones brings up TLOU, and RIGHT AWAY somebody else says it's an "interactive movie".
Hilarious. A little old, but still hilarious.

Anyways, DA:I is my GOTY, but from an objective point of view, Super Smash Bros. should be the game that wins the most awards. The game is the closest from perfect I've seen in a while, with tons of content, great graphics, great gameplay and framerate, etc... A stellar game.

Bayonetta 2 is absolutely brilliant, but it's WAY too short.

It certainly didn't win the awards because the gameplay which involved loads of ladder climbing and other tedious stuff. Not sure why people get offended when someone says a game feels like a movie. It's not always a bad thing. 

I'm not offended at all, don't worry.

"loads of ladder climbing" => Please, that's something you do like 5-7 times maximum in the whole game. And the game lasts 15-20 hours, with about 2 hours of cutscenes.

"other tedious stuff" => Like what ? Combat, gunfights, exploration, crafting, stealth ? Oh my, horrible !

An "Interactive Movie" would be Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, or even the games Telltale are making nowadays. But not for TLOU. The player has full control of his character's actions through the whole game. A game based on its story is NOT a movie.

Also, when I see what you say about the game's gameplay, I seriously doubt you've played it more than 1-2 hours. It has been unanimously acclaimed. Nothing revolutionary, of course, but all it does, it does great, when not perfect. Saying the game is full of ladder climbing is just plain wrong. Yes, these parts of the game aren't exactly a blast, but there isn't a lot of them. Like, not at all. 

So once again, an "Interactive Movie" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but TLOU is not an interactive movie, no matter how you try to put it. It has a story and characters, yes, like a lot of other games. But does that make it a movie, when there is 15+ hours of gameplay, and only a few cutscenes here and there ? Nope. Absolutely not.

If you didn't enjoy playing it, it's okay. But your statements are simply wrong, no disrespect.

How can it be wrong? I simply felt like playing a movie the entire time, that's how I experienced the game. I played 4 hours and watched around 6 hours of my friend playing. 

I thought it was pretty obvious that the game was trying to be a movie. I never said the game only consists of cutscenes. I never said I didn't enjoy it, I enjoyed playing AND watching it equally. I don't like playing GoW 3 because I hate hack & slash, but I like watching it because it's god damn epic! 

You might have a different vision than I have when I call something an interactive movie. If a game has too many cutscenes I just call it crap (like Metroid: Other M). 

I felt the same enjoyment out of watching my friend play than playing the game myself. That's why I call it an interactive movie. Watching someone play Zelda is extremely boring, playing it on the other hand is very fun. 

For me Sony first party games are famous for its movie inspired games. They do it better than everyone else. It's a compliment, not an insult. I do however prefer games where the story takes a backseat (like the Prime trilogy). That's called a personal preference. 

Pavolink said:
Actually, Nintendo is winning some GOTY awards. And don't forget that Zelda gameplay saved TGA 2 weeks ago.
Some kind of trend I'm liking this gen (maybe the only good thing) is that reviews are now focusing on gameplay and not only in graphics. Reviewers are not easily impressed as last gen and we are getting interesting scores.

Of course some are still stubborn to believe that VG Industry needs mature realistic games only to be called "art" and recognized, but it seems people is taking to note that the real way is to offer new experiences and not failed movies.

Watch the comments on Digital Foundry's framerate test of Captain Toad. Your hope in the gaming community (or at least the XBOX/PS community) will be lost. 

Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:

Watch the comments on Digital Foundry's framerate test of Captain Toad. Your hope in the gaming community (or at least the XBOX/PS community) will be lost. 

What did they say?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:

What did they say?

DF praised it, I'm talking about the youtube comments. They were horrible. Best thing they could come up with was calling it a mobile game with ugly graphics and blahblahblah. 

deskpro2k3 said:
people are getting fed up of mario and friends.