By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:

What did they say?

DF praised it, I'm talking about the youtube comments. They were horrible. Best thing they could come up with was calling it a mobile game with ugly graphics and blahblahblah. 

Are Youtube comments ever worth a damn though? :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
padib said:
Says Nintendo makes sequels, mentions GTAV, Skyrim and COD4.

please

Too many Mario games. (cuz each game that has mario in its name plays the same -_-)

"Why Cant Mario take a page from Ubisoft......." :P

I think it´s not only Nintendo..... Japanese developers in general rarely win GOTY. The only exception was Resident Evil 4 by Capcom in 2005. All other GOTY winners were western games.

I think it has a lot to do with the lack of Eastern/Japanese judges on VGA/VGX councils. They´re all American and a few are European. They will clearly have a preference for Western games. Heck. Some of them even work for websites or magazines that only talk about a single platform, like Francesca Reyes and Logan Decker.

AZWification said:
Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:

What did they say?

DF praised it, I'm talking about the youtube comments. They were horrible. Best thing they could come up with was calling it a mobile game with ugly graphics and blahblahblah. 

Are Youtube comments ever worth a damn though? :/

Still, that's the voice of the general gaming community. And that makes me sad.

I just feel the Nintendo fanbase is so much more mature, which is very noticable on youtube videos where only Nintendo fans post. I see nothing but bitter fighting on PS/XBOX videos. 

Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:

Watch the comments on Digital Foundry's framerate test of Captain Toad. Your hope in the gaming community (or at least the XBOX/PS community) will be lost. 

What did they say?

But why would some random youtube comments make one lose faith in the XB/PS community? And for that matter when are youtube comments EVER really worth anything?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:
Pavolink said:
Actually, Nintendo is winning some GOTY awards. And don't forget that Zelda gameplay saved TGA 2 weeks ago.
Some kind of trend I'm liking this gen (maybe the only good thing) is that reviews are now focusing on gameplay and not only in graphics. Reviewers are not easily impressed as last gen and we are getting interesting scores.

Of course some are still stubborn to believe that VG Industry needs mature realistic games only to be called "art" and recognized, but it seems people is taking to note that the real way is to offer new experiences and not failed movies.

Watch the comments on Digital Foundry's framerate test of Captain Toad. Your hope in the gaming community (or at least the XBOX/PS community) will be lost. 

What did they say?

Youtube comments don't represent the Xbox/PS community...

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I disagree, I see comments like these everywhere, not just youtube.

They don't represent the XBOX/PS community on vgchartz, that is true. Thank god. 

DerpSandwich said:
The reason they didn't have any winners this year at least is that both of their biggest games were competitive multiplayer games with no story. It pretty much doesn't matter how great your game is; if it doesn't blow us away with a great story or incredible depth it's not going to win GOTY. Mario Kart and Smash are still just Mario Kart and Smash.

And Bayonetta? Way too niche.

Thats.... not right at all. No story = No GoTY?

Video Games these days are only about Story+Graphics... F*** Gameplay/Multiplayer Fun. Thats so last decade.... :-/

Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

They don't represent the XBOX/PS community on vgchartz, that is true. Thank god. 

The majority of the Xbox/PS community don't even spend time commenting on Youtube or on internet forums.  Your taking the opinions of the few and applying it to the whole fanbase.  Not to mention youtube is full of trolls...

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Samus Aran said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

The majority of the Xbox/PS community don't even spend time commenting on Youtube or on internet forums.  Your taking the opinions of the few and applying it to the whole fanbase.  Not to mention youtube is full of trolls...

Who doesn't use Youtube?