By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

psrock said:
Samus Aran said:

Let's change what a review is so you can be happy.

Yeah, agreed. They should stop hiring people who don't have a university diploma to write reviews for them. Get some educated people.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
psrock said:

I'm sure they also lost the users voting as well. Most of the people who bought these games not only doesnt know or care about GOY.

Which further proves my point. Nintendo's audience isn't scurrying the internet for Nintendo news.
Doesn't dismiss the fact that they can consider those games to be their GOTY.

Yes, they do. They are just not as big as compared to the big guys. Blame Apple.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Samus Aran said:
psrock said:

I'm sure they also lost the users voting as well. Most of the people who bought these games not only doesnt know or care about GOY.

Which further proves my point. Nintendo's audience isn't scurrying the internet for Nintendo news.
Doesn't dismiss the fact that they can consider those games to be their GOTY.

Yes, they do. They are just not as big as compared to the big guys. Blame Apple.

We're talking about the Wii era. Keep up will ya! Remember, I said Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports and Wii Fit. I didn't say anything about Wii U games. 

AZWification said:

Smash and MK8 are winning a decent number of GOTY awards from what I'm seeing!

More than decent, really, considering fighters and racers often get lesser consideration.

people are getting fed up of mario and friends.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

I have to respectfully disagree with your points. Deriding Nintendo sequels as unoriginal and then quoting Skyrim, The Last of Us, and Grand Theft Auto V as examples of innovation doesn't work for me. The leap between Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8, for example, is just as significant as any other. Skyward Sword, which launched in 2011, was a huge departure from the Zelda series.

This entire discussion is moot, anyway, because a game should be judged on its own merits, not on how it changes the prevailing paradigm. A game doesn't need to reinvent the wheel to be great.

Lastly, I think most people on this forum distrust the mainstream video game media, so why are we so obsessed with the consensus pick for "game of the year"? The people who pick these awards are the same unscrupulous hacks we discredit 11 months out of the year. Why, now, do we give them any legitimacy?

In the end, who cares what some guy or gal with a byline thinks about the best game of the year? We should be confident enough in our own beliefs to weather a few opposing opinions.

deskpro2k3 said:

Coming from the guy with FFXV in his sig.

Priceless. 

pokoko said:

I have a very, very strong suspicion that, had Bayonetta 2 been a multi-platform title published by Sega, many of the people yelling that it should get GOTY now would instead back Smash Bros. or Mario Kart. In fact, had it been a multi-platform title that skipped the Wii U, many of the people championing it now would be downplaying it instead, telling us that it's merely another immature title that glorifies sex and violence. There is no doubt in my mind about that. None at all.

If only we had an alternate reality where Bayo 2 went multiplatform. We could compare this reality against the alternate one and confirm your suspicions. The fact that we can't won't stop you from making such foolhardy predictions.

pokoko said:

Really, where was all this indignation when Bayonetta 1 was losing to Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2?

I don't know, how were you measuring it then and how are you measuring it now?

pokoko said:

The reality is that nothing has changed because Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo exclusive. No one is NOT voting for it because it's only on the Wii U. Exactly as with Bayonetta 1, people are declining to vote for Bayonetta 2 because they feel the narrative and characterizations are weak, or because they don't like the goofy style, or because they don't value hack 'n 'slash titles highly, or simply because they received a deeper, more fulfilling experience with other games. People declined to vote for it because of any number of valid reasons.

I'm sorry, Nintendo conspiracy theorists, but the simple truth is that almost no one hates Nintendo or cares enough to conspire against it. No one is going, "man, I really like Bayonetta, but I want to strike a mortal blow against Nintendo!"

There is at least one person: https://bayonetta2boycott.wordpress.com/about/

pokoko said:

Most people aren't voting for it because they liked something else more. Period. End of shock, conspiracy over.

Certainly.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Coming from the guy with FFXV in his sig.

Priceless. 

its from ff 14 .

Priceless.

Best mmo i ever played :D

Official FINAL FANTASY XV HYPE Thread

This thread is stirring up the pot without actually looking at any real history. Nintendo games have won GOTY many times at a variety of sites. It goes without saying that picking one game for the entire year is going to leave a lot of great ones out. To the OP: If you actually play Nintendo games you would realize that although they do have many sequels each one introduces a lot of new ideas and game play elements. They are arguably more inventive in each new 3D Mario than most new IP's that come out year to year. And there have been a lot of years they've been rewarded for it...

Edge

2014 - BAYO 2 (Wii U)
2013 - GTA V
2012 - Halo 4
2011 - SKYWARD SWORD
2010 - MARIO GALAXY 2
2009 - Boarderlands
2008 - Uncharted 2
2007 - Halo 3
2006 - Final Fantasy XII
2005 - RESIDENT EVIL 4 (GameCube, Wii)
2003 - METROID PRIME