By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo games don't win GOTY

pokoko said:
The hair-pulling over Bayonetta 2 is really interesting.

I have a very, very strong suspicion that, had Bayonetta 2 been a multi-platform title published by Sega, many of the people yelling that it should get GOTY now would instead back Smash Bros. or Mario Kart. In fact, had it been a multi-platform title that skipped the Wii U, many of the people championing it now would be downplaying it instead, telling us that it's merely another immature title that glorifies sex and violence. There is no doubt in my mind about that. None at all.

Really, where was all this indignation when Bayonetta 1 was losing to Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2?

The reality is that nothing has changed because Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo exclusive. No one is NOT voting for it because it's only on the Wii U. Exactly as with Bayonetta 1, people are declining to vote for Bayonetta 2 because they feel the narrative and characterizations are weak, or because they don't like the goofy style, or because they don't value hack 'n 'slash titles highly, or simply because they received a deeper, more fulfilling experience with other games. People declined to vote for it because of any number of valid reasons.

I'm sorry, Nintendo conspiracy theorists, but the simple truth is that almost no one hates Nintendo or cares enough to conspire against it. No one is going, "man, I really like Bayonetta, but I want to strike a mortal blow against Nintendo!"

Most people aren't voting for it because they liked something else more. Period. End of shock, conspiracy over.

I'm a Nintendo fan and don't like Bayonetta 2. There goes your 'little" theory.

And there's definitely a big anti-Nintendo bias in the gaming media. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06NE33-hACE

Here's a review for what I consider to be my GOTY. Enjoy. 

Around the Network

But Nintendo DO and HAVE won GOTY, so therefore the title of this thread is not just misleading but a complete an utter LIE.

The lack of major success has more to do with it as well. Most GOTY are awarded to successful games and while an excellent game, if the fans didn't buy it or play it, nobody is going to award it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

But Nintendo have received several GOTY awards?

psrock said:
The lack of major success has more to do with it as well. Most GOTY are awarded to successful games and while an excellent game, if the fans didn't buy it or play it, nobody is going to award it.

I didn't see GOTY for Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Much more succesful games than anything third parties came up with. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
pokoko said:

I have a very, very strong suspicion that, had Bayonetta 2 been a multi-platform title published by Sega, many of the people yelling that it should get GOTY now would instead back Smash Bros. or Mario Kart. In fact, had it been a multi-platform title that skipped the Wii U, many of the people championing it now would be downplaying it instead, telling us that it's merely another immature title that glorifies sex and violence. There is no doubt in my mind about that. None at all.

Really, where was all this indignation when Bayonetta 1 was losing to Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2?

The reality is that nothing has changed because Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo exclusive. No one is NOT voting for it because it's only on the Wii U. Exactly as with Bayonetta 1, people are declining to vote for Bayonetta 2 because they feel the narrative and characterizations are weak, or because they don't like the goofy style, or because they don't value hack 'n 'slash titles highly, or simply because they received a deeper, more fulfilling experience with other games. People declined to vote for it because of any number of valid reasons.

I'm sorry, Nintendo conspiracy theorists, but the simple truth is that almost no one hates Nintendo or cares enough to conspire against it. No one is going, "man, I really like Bayonetta, but I want to strike a mortal blow against Nintendo!"

Most people aren't voting for it because they liked something else more. Period. End of shock, conspiracy over.

Huh?  What disproves my 'little" theory?

Oh, certainly, they hate Nintendo so much that all Nintendo games get horrible reviews.  It's so obvious.

pokoko said:
Samus Aran said:
pokoko said:

Huh?  What disproves my 'little" theory?

Oh, certainly, they hate Nintendo so much that all Nintendo games get horrible reviews.  It's so obvious.

Yes, it really was obvious in the video I posted. Maybe watch it. 

Samus Aran said:
psrock said:

I didn't see GOTY for Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Much more succesful games than anything third parties came up with. 

lol, there were better still successful games around.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

And thats exactly one of the thigs that are wrong, the game of the year should be the best game not the most popular one

psrock said:
Samus Aran said:
psrock said:

lol, there were better still successful games around.

Apparently not, sales = quality according to you. The majority liked those games over 99% of the third party titles. Mario Kart Wii is still outselling a lot of third party games that came out this year.