By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN "Recent sales data indicates Super Smash Bros. may not have given Wii U the boost it needs."

ICStats said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:

Pretty much they are assuming that smash is not saving the wii u

they really are not smart to think that smash will save the wii u singlehandily

(got their sources from vgchartz actually)

Link please?  I was watching the video on IGN and they don't say what you are saying.

For one, they were just commenting on Wii U having only 6% of BF sales, and saying "Does that mean SSB didn't sell Wii U's?  People bought it but only people that were already on the Wii U?".  Where are you getting that "they thought Smash will save the Wii U singlehandedly"?  Lovely strawman sir.

Also why do you say it's from vgchartz?  Aren't they quoting InfoScout data?

Yeah the inaccurate and flawed research of infoscout!:P

Around the Network
chakkra said:
XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:
nanarchy said:

yep, even with that there were plenty on these forums saying it was going to be a huge system seller, bigger than COD and Halo even. Wii U needs some good marketing, some 3rd party support and maybe a price drop if it wants to boost its baseline numbers.

It needs to be $150 with just a standard wireless controller.  This thing is 5 times weaker than the Xbox One, and it is nearly the same price at this point.  The Tablet Is. Not. Worth it.

Then why would anyone buy it? PS360 has more games. The Tablet is the only diffrenciator between the Wii U and PS360.

I really REALLY doubt that anyone would chose the Wii U over the PS360 because of the tablet. And this is coming from someone who actually likes the concept of off TV playing, but like Eddie_Raja said, paying $100 for it, is just not worth it.

And if you make it tabletless, you get a console with few exclusives, no multiplats, and weaker than the other consoles. I don't think that would make it have a boost in popularity.

Eddie_Raja said:
XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:

It needs to be $150 with just a standard wireless controller.  This thing is 5 times weaker than the Xbox One, and it is nearly the same price at this point.  The Tablet Is. Not. Worth it.

Then why would anyone buy it? PS360 has more games. The Tablet is the only diffrenciator between the Wii U and PS360.

For Nintendo games.  The only reason anyone ever buys a Nintendo console.  Otherwise people would (And have) bought a PS3 or 360.

The only Nintendo games you'll play are none. Because that would require reworking the entire OS just for it to work without a tablet. And People would complain about the infrequency of the OS updates, because they are focusing on eworking the entire OS just for it to work without a tablet.

The push it needs is selling at ps4 numbers... so, i will wait and see.

Areal-Llort said:
With a game like Smash Bros you'd think it would sell like.. more than a million on day 1 of its release. But, I'm gonna assume that a lot of people bought the game digitally because its just one of those games that you're gonna keep forever and never sell.

I think the majority of sales will come from the current install base. The problem for Nintendo right now isn't in making great games that people want to buy. It's making great games that make people want to buy their console who don't already own it.

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
chakkra said:
XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I really REALLY doubt that anyone would chose the Wii U over the PS360 because of the tablet. And this is coming from someone who actually likes the concept of off TV playing, but like Eddie_Raja said, paying $100 for it, is just not worth it.

And if you make it tabletless, you get a console with few exclusives, no multiplats, and weaker than the other consoles. I don't think that would make it have a boost in popularity.

Again, I think the gamepad adds zero appeal to the console to convince those who has not bought it yet. Now, a $75-$100 dollars diference, THAT would sway a lot of people into bying it for its exclusives.

But you know what, I actually think that it is too late for that. That is something Nintendo should have done in its first year just like MS did. I think all they can do now is try to put more value into their bundles throwing more games in. And maybe an option of a $250 console with no games, for those interested in other non traditional games (like Bayonetta, Zombie U, etc). 

chakkra said:
XanderXT said:
chakkra said:
XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Again, I think the gamepad adds zero appeal to the console to convince those who has not bought it yet. Now, a $75-$100 dollars diference, THAT would sway a lot of people into bying it for its exclusives.

But you know what, I actually think that it is too late for that. That is something Nintendo should have done in its first year just like MS did. I think all they can do now is try to put more value into their bundles throwing more games in. And maybe an option of a $250 console with no games, for those interested in other non traditional games (like Bayonetta, Zombie U, etc). 

If they removed the Tablet during that time, games like ZombiU would be unusable. Plus, it would just be a weak Nintendo console if they did that.

steverhcp02 said:
LinkTheHuman said:

I do hate it when Jouralists use uncreditable sources to make articles. 

Especially the one where only 180'000 of the millions of gamers were used to see what consoles sold the most. 180'000 =/= millions. 

There have also been articles about how Ebay sold all of it's wiius in three minutes, yet don't say how many units were sold, this could mean that 1. Ebay has dumbshit sale analysts who couldn't stock a supermarket, or b. there's genuine demand for the wiiu. And as usual Nintendo won't report on how much green they've made untill around five months after initial sales. 

Sometimes there are valid reasons to hate gaming Journalism.

More like most, if not all times. Gaming journalism came into fruition during the descent of actual journalism and is inherently more trivial so its compounded moreso. It is all clicks and no substance. Gaming journalism will never be credible. I realized this, learned which reviewers I have similar opinions to, and browse websites for entertainment. It is a nice bubble I have created and recommend it.

Thanks for the advise (sorry for taking so long to reply). Generally I trust Kotaku as a gaming (news) site, and it's safe to say the 'AngryJoeShow' is a reliable source for reviews (however since it is an independent source the quantitiy of reviews is low, however the quality is high).

XanderXT said:
chakkra said:
XanderXT said:
chakkra said:

If they removed the Tablet during that time, games like ZombiU would be unusable. Plus, it would just be a weak Nintendo console if they did that.

Well, the 700,000 people who bought Zombie U already had the Gamepad so I don't see how they would have been affected. Besides, they could have kept the Gamepad as add on for those very few that actually want it.

And again, I think the gamepad adds close to zero appeal to the console. I'm quite certain that 99% of Wii U buyers didn't say: "you know what? this one has a tablet controller so I'm going to chose it over the others". No, I'm sure they said something like this: "you know what? this one has SM3DW, Zelda WW, MK8, SSMB, DKTF, Bayonetta, etc, so I'm going to chose it over the others"

So.. instead of being "just a weak Nintendo console" with a controller that no one cares about for $300, it would've been "a weak Nintendo console" for $200 and a bunch of awesome exclusives to play.

chakkra said:
XanderXT said:
chakkra said:

Well, the 700,000 people who bought Zombie U already had the Gamepad so I don't see how they would have been affected. Besides, they could have kept the Gamepad as add on for those very few that actually want it.

And again, I think the gamepad adds close to zero appeal to the console. I'm quite certain that 99% of Wii U buyers didn't say: "you know what? this one has a tablet controller so I'm going to chose it over the others". No, I'm sure they said something like this: "you know what? this one has SM3DW, Zelda WW, MK8, SSMB, DKTF, Bayonetta, etc, so I'm going to chose it over the others"

So.. instead of being "just a weak Nintendo console" with a controller that no one cares about for $300, it would've been "a weak Nintendo console" for $200 and a bunch of awesome exclusives to play.

And what about all the money they would be making from Amiibos? Clearly that was a long term investment that is seemingly already vindicated the Gamepad a profitable venture. All that and only one game is even really utilizing....