By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN "Recent sales data indicates Super Smash Bros. may not have given Wii U the boost it needs."

While Smash Bros. was never gonna "save" WiiU by itself, I must say it did under perform/disappoint.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
nanarchy said:
Eddie_Raja said:
LOL is this a surprise. I called this months ago that because it came out on 3DS first (The WAYYYY more popular platform), it wouldn't do all that much.

yep, even with that there were plenty on these forums saying it was going to be a huge system seller, bigger than COD and Halo even. Wii U needs some good marketing, some 3rd party support and maybe a price drop if it wants to boost its baseline numbers.

It needs to be $150 with just a standard wireless controller.  This thing is 5 times weaker than the Xbox One, and it is nearly the same price at this point.  The Tablet Is. Not. Worth it.

Then why would anyone buy it? PS360 has more games. The Tablet is the only diffrenciator between the Wii U and PS360.

I do hate it when Jouralists use uncreditable sources to make articles. 

Especially the one where only 180'000 of the millions of gamers were used to see what consoles sold the most. 180'000 =/= millions. 

There have also been articles about how Ebay sold all of it's wiius in three minutes, yet don't say how many units were sold, this could mean that 1. Ebay has dumbshit sale analysts who couldn't stock a supermarket, or b. there's genuine demand for the wiiu. And as usual Nintendo won't report on how much green they've made untill around five months after initial sales. 

Sometimes there are valid reasons to hate gaming Journalism.

XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:
nanarchy said:

yep, even with that there were plenty on these forums saying it was going to be a huge system seller, bigger than COD and Halo even. Wii U needs some good marketing, some 3rd party support and maybe a price drop if it wants to boost its baseline numbers.

It needs to be $150 with just a standard wireless controller.  This thing is 5 times weaker than the Xbox One, and it is nearly the same price at this point.  The Tablet Is. Not. Worth it.

Then why would anyone buy it? PS360 has more games. The Tablet is the only diffrenciator between the Wii U and PS360.

I really REALLY doubt that anyone would chose the Wii U over the PS360 because of the tablet. And this is coming from someone who actually likes the concept of off TV playing, but like Eddie_Raja said, paying $100 for it, is just not worth it.

XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:
nanarchy said:

For Nintendo games.  The only reason anyone ever buys a Nintendo console.  Otherwise people would (And have) bought a PS3 or 360.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
LinkTheHuman said:

I do hate it when Jouralists use uncreditable sources to make articles. 

Especially the one where only 180'000 of the millions of gamers were used to see what consoles sold the most. 180'000 =/= millions. 

There have also been articles about how Ebay sold all of it's wiius in three minutes, yet don't say how many units were sold, this could mean that 1. Ebay has dumbshit sale analysts who couldn't stock a supermarket, or b. there's genuine demand for the wiiu. And as usual Nintendo won't report on how much green they've made untill around five months after initial sales. 

Sometimes there are valid reasons to hate gaming Journalism.

More like most, if not all times. Gaming journalism came into fruition during the descent of actual journalism and is inherently more trivial so its compounded moreso. It is all clicks and no substance. Gaming journalism will never be credible. I realized this, learned which reviewers I have similar opinions to, and browse websites for entertainment. It is a nice bubble I have created and recommend it.

Hmm, I see. On this same forum not long ago the word was "A lot of people are just waiting for Smash!". Now the word is "Who thought Smash would do that much on it's own anyway?". Fair enough.  Way to dismiss IGN's commentary as if they are the ones who thought Smash would do better in the first place.

My 8th gen collection

zippy said:
Well 500k Wii Us sold in 2 weeks is not too shabby, its just that PS4/XB1 are doing insane numbers. Just because Wii U is being beaten doesnt mean the numbers its done are terrible.

Black Friday week.

Smash Bros did what it was meant to do, sell a few million units of software and give Wii U a stronger holiday than last year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

OfficerRaichu15 said:

Pretty much they are assuming that smash is not saving the wii u

they really are not smart to think that smash will save the wii u singlehandily

(got their sources from vgchartz actually)

Link please?  I was watching the video on IGN and they don't say what you are saying.

For one, they were just commenting on Wii U having only 6% of BF sales, and saying "Does that mean SSB didn't sell Wii U's?  People bought it but only people that were already on the Wii U?".  Where are you getting that "they thought Smash will save the Wii U singlehandedly"?  Lovely strawman sir.

Also why do you say it's from vgchartz?  Aren't they quoting InfoScout data?

My 8th gen collection