By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Nintendo Is The Only Gaming Company that Can Survive With No Third Party Support? If Not Who Else? (If each Company Had Their Own HW i mean)

EA and Activision would do really good, maybe Ubisoft

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Its arguable that XBOX survived off Halo but yes youre right to a degree.  Though i wouldnt consider the WiiU surviving.  Id consider it the 3DS while WiiU is struggling.  And 3DS does actually have third party games as well.

But when it is all said and done, if nintendo made another console that struggles the way WiiU does i dont know if it would be a viable option to continue making game hardware.  Nintendo is going to have to think more about third parties with their next hardware or it could be their last honestly.  Either that or try and expand their fanbase because right now their fanbase is mainly one group which isnt large enough to sustain hardware.  

Not to go all off topic but part of me wonders how a new generation would work for Nintendo.  I mean, would third parties support them?  They'll likely need to be assured that their games would sell on a Nintendo platform before they invest in creating games at all (aside from ports of older games).  When those don't sell (or the console doesn't catch fire because of a lack of third party), they'll pull support.

It's a catch 22 all over again.  No 3rd party support because of low sales.  No sales because of low 3rd party support.

curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:
You consider Wii U to be "surviving"?

It's still selling, therefore it is surviving.

If merely selling is surviving then all of them could "survive". - However, Wii u type sales is not viable for any of the 3 console makers including Nintendo- Yes they have the cash and assets to survive as a company despite the Wii u but they could not survive long term if Wii u type sales is all they accomplished going forward into future generations - eventually investors would just say why bother even before they ran out of money - Nintendo def has the strongest 1st party as a whole but they have in no way proved they are a viable company w out 3rd party help

Sega survived the Master System and Genesis pretty much alone...

No way Nintendo can survive long term in the gaming hardware market without 3rd party support. Their current situation with Wii U is insane.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

If merely selling is surviving then all of them could "survive". - However, Wii u type sales is not viable for any of the 3 console makers including Nintendo- Yes they have the cash and assets to survive as a company despite the Wii u but they could not survive long term if Wii u type sales is all they accomplished going forward into future generations - eventually investors would just say why bother even before they ran out of money - Nintendo def has the strongest 1st party as a whole but they have in no way proved they are a viable company w out 3rd party help

Well, I did say "survive", not "thrive". For the moment, Nintendo and the Wii U are afloat and in no immediate danger of destruction.

And technically, didn't Wii sell almost entirely on its first party hits too?

Sony does have plenty of 1st parties, and could go into different genres if they needed to.

Microsoft can't, because they only have like 3 or 4 relevant IP... maybe 5, or 6 if you wanna include rare, and Battletoads, and Killer Instinct.

Nintendo... Obviously can. Smash brothers, Mario, Pokemon and Zelda games are powerful. I've never owned a nintendo console in my life, and I recognize that.

It seems to me less that Nintendo is surviving on 1st party, but rather Nintendo bought themselves a generation with almost non-existent 3rd party support using that Wii & DS money.

Netty said:
No way Nintendo can survive long term in the gaming hardware market without 3rd party support. Their current situation with Wii U is insane.

Pokemon + Handheld alone would keep Nintendo In the game. Every Handheld would be 10mil+ installbase at minimum :p

curl-6 said:
Dunban67 said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

Well, I did say "survive", not "thrive". For the moment, Nintendo and the Wii U are afloat and in no immediate danger of destruction.

And technically, didn't Wii sell almost entirely on its first party hits too?

The Wii had far more 3rd party support than Wii u- plus if only 2 shovelware games sold for each one released that would have equated to a few million sales alone (: Seriously they must have sold a ton via shovelware due to the shear numbers of them Yes Nintendo could survive more than 1 Wii u type situations and if anyone could do it w out 3rd party it would be Nintendo but I don t think they can thrive in the short to intermediate term or survive long term w out 3 rd party support - not unless they ramp up their dev capacity and variety significantly - I think they are too conservative of a company to invest the resources it would take to ramp up production that much