By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Nintendo Is The Only Gaming Company that Can Survive With No Third Party Support? If Not Who Else? (If each Company Had Their Own HW i mean)

naruball said:
ExplodingBlock said:
naruball said:
Serious question: do we know if wiiu has made a profit so far? Does Ninty release separate numbers for 3ds and wiiu?

As of May 2014, Nintendo is making profit on each Wii U sold, so even if they sell under 20k a week they could still make profit. Before this they were having big losses since they used to be selling Wii U's at a loss. And for the second question, yes, they release seperate numbers for each systems every quarter

Maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking whether Ninty is making a profit at the moment but if it has made a profit, i.e. with everything put together (R&D,  advertising, cost of every game they have developed, cost of servers, loss of money on every console sold for years, etc.) has it made a profit overall? Again, in other words, had they never made wiiu, would they have saved money or have they made more money than  they have spent?

Hard to say for sure, but you could look at it this way...

- Should 3DS by itself be profitable?  Seems likely.
- Has Nintendo overall been *profitable since Wii U released?  No.

Therefore IMO Wii U has likely not made a profit to date, it's eaten 3DS's profit.

* Profitable as in Operating Profit, i.e. profit from video game operations not from investment income, exchange rates, etc.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

NeoGeo? Maybe a unique case there.

Well, there is also the 3DS which has a decent amount of 3rd party games!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Rab said:
Kerotan said:
Oh God.

Sony and MS could make a very cost effective console that requires no R&D. It will sell maybe 10-20M with zero 3rd party support but it will be sold for a good profit and make money.

That's pretty similar to the Wii U's situation when I think about it.

That's actually better than what they have been doing overall, particularly in MS case

Nintendo is still the most profitable company 

Yeah but what long term gain will that bring? Sony fucked up the chance to make a shit load with the PS3 and instead lost a shit load although made a profit for the last few years. 

Now they've corrected that and stand to make a shit load for the next 5-10 years. Bet big and you lose or gain big. Nintendo bet small with the Wii and Wii U. Only thing is the Wii with it's motion fad was a flash in the pan and made them a shit ton. Wii sold badly for it's last few years and now the Wii U contines the decline. 

In MS's case, they have more money than what's good for them. Hence why they bought Minecraft for 2.5BN. They can afford to lose a few more billion because it gives them the chance to do big things in the future. SOny is a major thorn in their side and will likely prevent that from happening but at the end of the day they won't lose much sleep over it. Nintendo on the other hand will and hence why I think they will ply next gen really safe again and aim for profit from day 1. 

Wouldn't it be easier to port third party games if Wii U had x86 instead of in house?
They really stuffed up big with the WiiU

Around the Network

Lawlight said:

So, you think the console market is only 102M big? And why isn't the WiiU doing as well?

No, but I think the people who wanted it, did buy it. The WiiU isnt doing well because many people dont want it...

Define "Survive."

ICStats said:

Hard to say for sure, but you could look at it this way...

- Should 3DS by itself be profitable?  Seems likely.
- Has Nintendo overall been *profitable since Wii U released?  No.

Therefore IMO Wii U has likely not made a profit to date, it's eaten 3DS's profit.

* Profitable as in Operating Profit, i.e. profit from video game operations not from investment income, exchange rates, etc.

Yeah, that's the impression I've gotten as well.

Blob said:
Sony would struggle and playstation would most likely go under, they use their games as loss leaders mostly. Microsoft would leave the business, probably keep Halo/Gears and make them PC games.

EA could survive by themselves, imagine a console that was the only place you could get all the sports games. It would sell a lot IMO.

Perhaps in the past, 2kSports shits all over EA Sports games.

Then you got football but PES is the better game.

I dont think peopel would buy a console for just sports games when there is better or comparible competition already. 

During the days of the Nintendo 64 and Game Cube. Selling 55 million console over 10 years between 1996 to 2006 before the launch of the Wii, Nintendo still remained profitable. Making a profit is more important than finishing first or second in a console sales war. A company can sell lots consoles at a loss and make a big loss.