By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Nintendo Is The Only Gaming Company that Can Survive With No Third Party Support? If Not Who Else? (If each Company Had Their Own HW i mean)

Well Nintendo can survive without third party support but their console flopped, and no third party support was a big reason for that.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
spemanig said:

The Wii U has 3rd party support too and honestly, the Wii U needs in much more than the Wii did.

I would say that that's exactly what surviving is. If the same thing happened to any of the other two, they just wouldn't sell.  With the Wii U, just like with the victim of a car crash, it's in shitty shape, but its still breathing, and it's still possible to see a bright future for Nintendo.

Alright, I can accept that. I just wouldn't necessarily flaunt that fact.

KLXVER said:
Sega survived the Master System and Genesis pretty much alone...

Nah, they had plenty of 3rd party support, at least in with the Mega Drive / Genesis. EA was huge on that console.

Yes Nintendo can survive with pretty much only first party support, and I applaud that, but if they had that 3rd party as well, they could have a chance to thrive in the console market.

Dunban67 said:
 Yes Nintendo could survive more than 1 Wii u type situations and if anyone could do it w out 3rd party it would be Nintendo but I don t think they can thrive in the short to intermediate term or survive long term w out 3 rd party support - not unless they ramp up their dev capacity and variety significantly - I think they are too conservative of a company to invest the resources it would take to ramp up production that much

I agree it's not an ideal approach long term, but they can at least weather storms like this gen, whereas I doubt Sony/MS's stables could keep them afloat without any third party backing.

Around the Network

Oh God.

Sony and MS could make a very cost effective console that requires no R&D. It will sell maybe 10-20M with zero 3rd party support but it will be sold for a good profit and make money.

That's pretty similar to the Wii U's situation when I think about it.

NintendoPie said:

Alright, I can accept that. I just wouldn't necessarily flaunt that fact.

Neither would I, though I do think that Nintendo has the ability to thrive with little 3rd party support. I mean, it isn't, but I think it can.

naruball said:
Serious question: do we know if wiiu has made a profit so far? Does Ninty release separate numbers for 3ds and wiiu?

As of May 2014, Nintendo is making profit on each Wii U sold, so even if they sell under 20k a week they could still make profit. Before this they were having big losses since they used to be selling Wii U's at a loss. And for the second question, yes, they release seperate numbers for each systems every quarter

Sony/Microsoft/EA/Ubisoft/Valve/Blizzard/Riot and plenty others could survive with their console and software lineup

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I'd say all of them would survive.