By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Nintendo Is The Only Gaming Company that Can Survive With No Third Party Support? If Not Who Else? (If each Company Had Their Own HW i mean)

spemanig said:

...You do know what it means to survive, right? No one said "thrive." Though even with that, a case can be made with the Wii.

The Wii would be an iffy example because it did have third-party support, but much of it was kind of crap that didn't do too much.

Anyhow, I do know what survive means, and I wouldn't call losing money for more than a year and selling sometimes less than 40k a week even surviving. Maybe you could say "on the cusp." 

But this doesn't go against the fact that yes, people buy Nintendo for their first-party and that is proven by the Wii because everyone I know who bought a Wii bought it for some type of first-party title.

Around the Network

I think microsoft has the capacity if they invest more into quality 1st party studios

Yeah I guess.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

NintendoPie said:

The Wii would be an iffy example because it did have third-party support, but much of it was kind of crap that didn't do too much.

Anyhow, I do know what survive means, and I wouldn't call losing money for more than a year and selling sometimes less than 40k a week even surviving. Maybe you could say "on the cusp." 

But this doesn't go against the fact that yes, people buy Nintendo for their first-party and that is proven by the Wii because everyone I know who bought a Wii bought it for some type of first-party title.

The Wii U has 3rd party support too and honestly, the Wii U needs in much more than the Wii did.

I would say that that's exactly what surviving is. If the same thing happened to any of the other two, they just wouldn't sell.  With the Wii U, just like with the victim of a car crash, it's in shitty shape, but its still breathing, and it's still possible to see a bright future for Nintendo.

NintendoPie said:
You consider Wii U to be "surviving"?

is it dead......? Nope!

Around the Network
Blob said:
Sony would struggle and playstation would most likely go under, they use their games as loss leaders mostly. Microsoft would leave the business, probably keep Halo/Gears and make them PC games.

EA could survive by themselves, imagine a console that was the only place you could get all the sports games. It would sell a lot IMO.

I was thinking EA would be it as well^ 

The thing to keep in mind is that Nintnedo is indeed taking advantage of 3rd party support.  They use third parties all the time to help develop games like Zombi U, Wonderfull 101, and Bayonetta 2.  And also to develop Nintendo games for them like Smash Bros and Star Fox and will be doing even more of this in the future. And on the handheld side they use companies to develop Zelda Remakes and have a great lineup of 3rd party exclusives.  Don't think Nintendo could carry their systems by themselves. At least not right now.

Serious question: do we know if wiiu has made a profit so far? Does Ninty release separate numbers for 3ds and wiiu?

Neo Geo did okay, I guess. I think SNK carried the load mostly by themselves. Then again, I wouldn't call the console a success.

Its arguable that XBOX survived off Halo but yes youre right to a degree.  Though i wouldnt consider the WiiU surviving.  Id consider it the 3DS while WiiU is struggling.  And 3DS does actually have third party games as well.

But when it is all said and done, if nintendo made another console that struggles the way WiiU does i dont know if it would be a viable option to continue making game hardware.  Nintendo is going to have to think more about third parties with their next hardware or it could be their last honestly.  Either that or try and expand their fanbase because right now their fanbase is mainly one group which isnt large enough to sustain hardware.