By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Nintendo Is The Only Gaming Company that Can Survive With No Third Party Support? If Not Who Else? (If each Company Had Their Own HW i mean)

Nintendo has proven they can thrive with no third party support of any significance, as demonstrated with the Wii, I don't think any of the others could do that.

I think several others including Sony and MS could hunker down and survive a generation without any third party support. I'm not sure anyone besides Nintendo could scratch out a profit in such circumstances though. Nintendo are just that bit more economical in development and see such big sales with their key franchises.

Around the Network
arcaneguyver said:
KLXVER said:
Sega survived the Master System and Genesis pretty much alone...

Nah, they had plenty of 3rd party support, at least in with the Mega Drive / Genesis. EA was huge on that console.

Not really. Sega had to publish most of the big games themselves because of Nintendos policies.

ExplodingBlock said:
naruball said:
Serious question: do we know if wiiu has made a profit so far? Does Ninty release separate numbers for 3ds and wiiu?

As of May 2014, Nintendo is making profit on each Wii U sold, so even if they sell under 20k a week they could still make profit. Before this they were having big losses since they used to be selling Wii U's at a loss. And for the second question, yes, they release seperate numbers for each systems every quarter

Maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking whether Ninty is making a profit at the moment but if it has made a profit, i.e. with everything put together (R&D,  advertising, cost of every game they have developed, cost of servers, loss of money on every console sold for years, etc.) has it made a profit overall? Again, in other words, had they never made wiiu, would they have saved money or have they made more money than  they have spent?

hsrob said:

Nintendo has proven they can thrive with no third party support of any significance, as demonstrated with the Wii, I don't think any of the others could do that.

I think several others including Sony and MS could hunker down and survive a generation without any third party support. I'm not sure anyone besides Nintendo could scratch out a profit in such circumstances though. Nintendo are just that bit more economical in development and see such big sales with their key franchises.

The Wii was a fad that died off though.

Lawlight said:
hsrob said:

Its died off because everyone has one. MKWii are still in the charts...

Around the Network

Umm I wouldnt say Nintendo can survive on their own, the WiiU is still afloat because of Nintendo's stronger handheld sales which relies quite a lot on Japanese 3rd parties. Shit even then they were losing money for a few years.

KLXVER said:
Lawlight said:
hsrob said:

Its died off because everyone has one. MKWii are still in the charts...

So, you think the console market is only 102M big? And why isn't the WiiU doing as well?

Kerotan said:
Oh God.

Sony and MS could make a very cost effective console that requires no R&D. It will sell maybe 10-20M with zero 3rd party support but it will be sold for a good profit and make money.

That's pretty similar to the Wii U's situation when I think about it.

That's actually better than what they have been doing overall, particularly in MS case

Nintendo is still the most profitable company 

tbone51 said:

(Not talking MS/Sony, i mean even EA/Ubisoft/etc)

Not a thread for downplaying/etc. Not a thread for Console Warzzz/etc. Just Wanted to point out that its kind of remarkable that Nintendo is probably the only company overall that can survive on No THIRD PARTY Support. *looks at WiiU*

If you think another company that can survive only on 1st party with their own hardware, then pls post on who and Discuss Why!

Thoughts and responses?

Nobody could do it better than Nintendo, but arguably Nintendo is not surviving on a console with no 3rd party support either.... because 3DS is making most of the money.

My 8th gen collection

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Yea, I believe so... I doubt any other company has such iconic characters or such a wide variety of IPs that sell this well even after all these years

SEGA could have. SEGA's issue was they were terrible when it came to managing money and supported 8 systems at once. If they were like Nintendo in being conservative with money they have the wide enough IP's to match Nintendo. Capcom could as well if they made a console in the 90's. They got terrible when they abandoned what made them successful. Capcom and SEGA have the IP's and iconic characters to match.